PDA

View Full Version : How do you pray for a Brother

missionary5155
03-19-2013, 05:41 AM
Good morning
Pray is one of those aspects of Growing in the Grace of the Lord Jesus Christ. Fortunately for me the Bible is chocked full of great guidlines that over the years have helped me understand what things in general I can pray for those who walk with Christ.
This year I have been blessed with using Colossians 1 : 9-13.
9 "For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that you might be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding.
10 That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitfull in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God ;
11 Stregthened with all might, according to His glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;
12 Giving thanks unto the Father, which made us meet to be partakers of the in heritance of the saints in light:
13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of His dear Son: "

Reading these words daily helps me to remember there are growth issues in daily life that need to be a work in progress if people are going to see Christ in my life and all of us.
Happily there are numerous prayer examples throughout His Book that broaden my understanding of Prayer for my Brothers.
Mike in Peru

MBTcustom
03-19-2013, 02:24 PM
Prayer is something I struggle with. It comes very easily to my wife, but I am aware that God expects me to lead the home in this area. Unfortunately, I fall way too short of the mark.
I just don't have assurance that my prayers make any difference. I have prayed for my wife's healing for years, and yet we suffer. I want to be bitter and throw in the towel, but God will not let me take that path. He shows that he is watching and he does care. I know that his plan in all this is big and powerful, and the fruit will be huge. I don't need to know His plans and purpose. I need only to trust him.
It is so easy for me to worship fear, darkness, and bitterness instead of hope, faith and light.
Fortunately, He works around my foolishness, and brings me around to the truth again and again.
I sure am glad He's so patient!
The fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. If he'll get off his duff and pray that is!
Oh well, I'm workin on it!

Charlie Two Tracks
03-19-2013, 09:59 PM
I figure that God knows be better than I know myself. I don't try to be something I'm not when praying. I talk to God with respect but also I just talk normal. Over the years my prayer life has gone up and down. Ten years ago, my wife and I went to a Cleansing Streams class that lasted for a few months. Part of it was to pray with your wife each night before going to bed. It was intimidating for me but I did it anyway. We still do this each night. I also say a prayer whenever I hear a siren from police or ambulance or medivac helicopter. I ask God to let the ones hurting, know of His love for them and to also protect the responders. If I see someone hurting whether driving or walking by, I say a quick prayer for them. I guess it just started slowly and I try to make it a priority each day. I am no saint and I get disappointed with myself on a regular basis. I think that an active prayer life is gotten by very small steps each day. I'm not where I want to be but I'm not where I was.

45nut
03-19-2013, 11:58 PM
Prayers for me are all over the scale, from personal to the masses that are preyed upon everywhere. I see the power satan has and it just infuriates me that God lets it happen.
That I have a lot of trouble with, the outright evil that thrives upon this world.
The evil that we were told was good and the good we were told was evil infuriates me almost every hour. We put murderers in jail, but presidents and kings just keep the game of satan thriving without consequence at the cost of millions dead.
That my prayers for justice are not alone I know,,and that the mortal rewards people seek are short lived vs the eternity in hell hardly sates my appetite for justice now makes me feel quite useless and ignorant ,, for who am I to judge His plan?
I still pray and wish relief of suffering and pray for the safety of God's hand in guiding my life, for I know I too, fail his tests because or in spite of knowing better.
It is far to easy to fall backwards into the pit. I pray for us all.

MBTcustom
03-20-2013, 12:03 AM
Prayers for me are all over the scale, from personal to the masses that are preyed upon everywhere. I see the power satan has and it just infuriates me that God lets it happen.
That I have a lot of trouble with, the outright evil that thrives upon this world.
The evil that we were told was good and the good we were told was evil infuriates me almost every hour. We put murderers in jail, but presidents and kings just keep the game of satan thriving without consequence at the cost of millions dead.
That my prayers for justice are not alone I know,,and that the mortal rewards people seek are short lived vs the eternity in hell hardly sates my appetite for justice now makes me feel quite useless and ignorant ,, for who am I to judge His plan?
I still pray and wish relief of suffering and pray for the safety of God's hand in guiding my life, for I know I too, fail his tests because or in spite of knowing better.

I think it was Billy Graham said: If God waits much longer to come back, He's going to have to apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah.

missionary5155
03-20-2013, 06:30 AM
Good morning
Years back I heard someone say "Talk to God first". I recon if anything helps me daily to remember to pray and not be in a rush is to follow that simply.
I have always woke up early. So I am blessd with that. It is just me and I can take no credit. It still is not easy to pray. I want to see what's going here at Castboolits, Our Town, and now the Chapel. But still I have to near shout WOOOO.. Talk and listen to God first. How I so enjoy this quiet, peaceful, realignment of me to Him.
Pray is work. no dought about it. Been praying for my sister since 28 September 1972. My mom too but she says she has faith in Christ. But I will continue till they are in eternity. Sure is good when we see some results that come to pass a bit quicker.
Mike in Peru

Down South
03-20-2013, 07:43 AM
I understand how you feel. I once thought that God controlled this world but through study of his Word I discovered that Satan is actually the god of this world. Adam was created to be lord of the world but he more or less signed over his lease to Satan in the Garden of Eden.
2 Corinthians 4:4In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
Is just one of the scriptures that states that the devil himself is god here. God is not the author of sin, sickness nor death.
But as Christians, we have victory in Christ over the devil and his crew.
Colossians 2:15
And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a show of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
Christ overcame Satan on the cross and then rising from the dead.
If we belong to Christ, then we have the same authority over Satan that he does.
Evil will thrive on this world until christ comes again. But we as Christians are over comers.

jmsj
03-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Tim,
Please keep up with your prayers. As you stated, God does hear and his will will be done.
I hear what you are saying that about fear and darkness. My wife battles and auto-immune disease so we do know a little about chronic pain and temporary infirmary. This fear and darkness is only Satan trying to creep in and steal the victory given to us by Jesus Christ.
My greatest joy in life is the security on knowing that this life is not the prize, merely the test. In knowing this I get to live a fearless life. That doesn't mean that things of this world don't concern me. As Christians we have been given the privilege to take our concerns to the Cross and turn them over to God. The hard part is leaving them at the Cross. It took many years for me to be able to leave my troubles at the Cross and not gather them back up and take them with me. Occasionally I backslide and carry my burdens with me but as my spiritual maturity grows it happens quite a bit less. I can't really describe the freedom this gives a man but it is really cool.
The older I get the more time I spend in prayer. My prayer time can be in the quiet time of the morning, on the road, during a walk in the woods, standing in front of my lathe or mill or doing any menial task. But I do know that they are heard and God does care and that He is moving in me. I only need to be quiet and listen.
So don't lose heart. I am praying for strength for you now. Through vigilance you will become the man and spiritual leader of your family that God wants you to be.
Stay strong and God Bless, jmsj