PDA

View Full Version : From the Harvard Journal of Law

AkMike
08-19-2007, 08:39 PM
From the "Harvard Journal of Law" no less
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And this came out of the Harvard Law School of all places! This needs to be widely distributed! Everything below my name here at the top is a directly copied quote (plagiarized if you prefer )
Lee.
-------------------------------0-----------------------------
In fact, many nations with high gun ownership have significantly lower murder and suicide rates.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Harvard Journal Study of Worldwide Data Obliterates Notion that Gun Ownership Correlates with Violence
Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy Confirms that Reducing Gun Ownership by Law-Abiding Citizens Does Nothing to Reduce Violence Worldwide

By now, any informed American is familiar with Dr. John R. Lott, Jr.'s famous axiom of "More Guns, Less Crime." In other words, American jurisdictions that allow law-abiding citizens to exercise their Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms are far safer and more crime-free than jurisdictions that enact stringent "gun control" laws.

Very simply, the ability of law-abiding citizens to possess firearms has helped reduce violent crime in America.

Now, a Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy study shows that this is not just an American phenomenon. According to the study, worldwide gun ownership rates do not correlate with higher murder or suicide rates. In fact, many nations with high gun ownership have significantly lower murder and suicide rates.

In their piece entitled Would Banning Firearms Reduce Murder and Suicide? A Review of International and some Domestic Evidence, Don B. Kates and Gary Mauser eviscerate "the mantra that more guns mean more deaths and that fewer guns, therefore, mean fewer deaths." In so doing, the authors provide fascinating historical insight into astronomical murder rates in the Soviet Union during the Cold War, and they dispel the myths that widespread gun ownership is somehow unique to the United States or that America suffers from the developed world's highest murder rate.

To the contrary, they establish that Soviet murder rates far exceeded American murder rates, and continue to do so today, despite Russia's extremely stringent gun prohibitions. By 2004, they show, the Russian murder rate was nearly four times higher than the American rate.

More fundamentally, Dr. Kates and Dr. Mauser demonstrate that other developed nations such as Norway, Finland, Germany, France and Denmark maintain high rates of gun ownership, yet possess murder rates lower than other developed nations in which gun ownership is much more restricted.

For example, handguns are outlawed in Luxembourg, and gun ownership extremely rare, yet its murder rate is nine times greater than in Germany, which has one of the highest gun ownership rates in Europe. As another example, Hungary's murder rate is nearly three times higher than nearby Austria's, but Austria's gun ownership rate is over eight times higher than Hungary's. "Norway," they note, "has far and away Western Europe's highest household gun ownership rate (32%), but also its lowest murder rate. The Netherlands," in contrast, "has the lowest gun ownership rate in Western Europe (1.9%) ... yet the Dutch gun murder rate is higher than the Norwegian."

Dr. Kates and Dr. Mauser proceed to dispel the mainstream misconception that lower rates of violence in Europe are somehow attributable to gun control laws. Instead, they reveal, "murder in Europe was at an all-time low before the gun controls were introduced." As the authors note, "strict controls did not stem the general trend of ever-growing violent crime throughout the post-WWII industrialized world."

Citing England, for instance, they reveal that "when it had no firearms restrictions [in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries], England had little violent crime." By the late 1990s, however, "England moved from stringent controls to a complete ban on all handguns and many types of long guns." As a result, "by the year 2000, violent crime had so increased that England and Wales had Europe's highest violent crime rate, far surpassing even the United States." In America, on the other hand, "despite constant and substantially increasing gun ownership, the United States saw progressive and dramatic reductions in criminal violence in the 1990s."

Critically, Dr. Kates and Dr. Mauser note that "the fall in the American crime rate is even more impressive when compared with the rest of the world," where 18 of the 25 countries surveyed by the British Home Office suffered violent crime increases during that same period.

Furthermore, the authors highlight the important point that while the American gun murder rate often exceeds that in other nations, the overall per capita murder rate in other nations (including other means such as strangling, stabbing, beating, etc.) is oftentimes much higher than in America.

The reason that gun ownership doesn't correlate with murder rates, the authors show, is that violent crime rates are determined instead by underlying cultural factors. "Ordinary people," they note, "simply do not murder." Rather, "the murderers are a small minority of extreme antisocial aberrants who manage to obtain guns whatever the level of gun ownership" in their society.

Therefore, "banning guns cannot alleviate the socio-cultural and economic factors that are the real determinants of violence and crime rates." According to Dr. Kates and Dr. Mauser, "there is no reason for laws prohibiting gun possession by ordinary, law-abiding, responsible adults because such people virtually never commit murder. If one accepts that such adults are far more likely to be victims of violent crime than to commit it, disarming them becomes not just unproductive but counter-productive."

John Lott couldn't have stated it better himself.

Vegas Vince
08-19-2007, 10:53 PM
AkMike

I agree 100%. The BATF, FBI & Disease Control have conducted studies that show gun control has no effect on criminals. This is hard the figure out, criminals do not follow the law!!!!! Boy are they bright???? What works is “criminal control”. Getting the criminals off the streets.

The “Brady Bunch”, some in government, and the people that continue to blame inanimate objects for actions are fools and always will be.

I have a computer and most child molesters use computers but not all computer users are child molesters. I do not want computers regulated or outlawed. I have a car and cars are used in 99 % of all crimes, but not everybody that drives a car is a criminal. I do not want cars regulated any more or outlawed. Driving is a privilege not a right. One can go on & on about inanimate objects. Law abiding people respect the object and use them correctly, and criminal do not!

The three things I know for sure. The people that think inanimate objects have action (1) should not be is government, (2) they should not be allowed to vote, and (3) should probably not be allowed to have children.

I won’t even go into the reasoning of the “Ten Amendments” and why they had to be added to get the Constitution ratified.

w30wcf
08-21-2007, 11:03 AM
AkMike,
Great info and truths! Is there a link to that on the internet?

Thank you for posting this.

w30wcf

Thin Man
08-21-2007, 11:21 AM
...too bad eBay didn't learn about this...

felix
08-21-2007, 11:42 AM
That "gun" knowledge has been known by those in "power" for at least 20 years. Question? Why is it being "printed" now via the Harvard communications which is constantly looked upon by the public press as the golden rule? Reason? There is another agenda a-brewing behind the scenes. A couple of interesting things I have found out during the last week that is not very pleasing: 1) the M3 money supply (the real inflation) in the US has been increasing at the rate of 13 percent per year for the last several; 2) China's USA treasury bill ownership (paying for IRAQ war?) is only equal to only one's day trade worth in the worldly money markets. So, who is buying us? Who is going to own us? Ebay is nothing but a pee in the pod like the rest of us. ... felix

monadnock#5
08-21-2007, 08:39 PM
That "gun" knowledge has been known by those in "power" for at least 20 years.

The NRA was screaming this information out at the top of its lungs when I joined 25 years ago. No one outside the firearms community was listening. I hope that now that this information is being presented by a "politically correct" organization, that the country will listen. It has been my experience however that the left has never, and will never, let the facts get in the way of its agenda.

Ol'Scudder
08-21-2007, 08:49 PM
Felix, from what I've been able to figure out, based in part on the movie mentioned below, these people and their families own or control most of the institutions that have caused, and are still causing our grief:

J.P. Morgan
J.D.Rockefeller
Rothschilds
Paul Warburg
Bernard Barac

who control the Federal Reserve and Central Bank, and the Council On Foreign Relations, and of course, The United Nations.

And then, Rupert Murdoch, who controls most information sources, including his latest acquisition, the Wall Street Journal.

I'm not a crusader by any means, but if we don't wake up soon, it's gonna be too late.

The movie I mentioned is called "Zeitgeist", which I think means "The sign of the age". I just ran across it a few days ago - and if this is not appropriate for this location, please erase it. It plays as it downloads, is almost 2 hrs long, and has three parts, the first of which is religion. If you are a very religious person, I would advise skipping the first part, as it will most likely piss you off - - and I value and respect you all. You can go to Google - Video - Zeitgeist and watch each of the 3 parts individually. Or here for the whole enchilada:

http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

felix
08-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Yeah, best tread lightly with the truth. You know the consequences as per the family from New England. ... felix

Ol'Scudder
08-21-2007, 10:04 PM
Yep - you're right!