PDA

View Full Version : Pleasant Day - WHAT shortage?

FISH4BUGS
03-18-2013, 09:28 AM
I was digging through my coffee cans full of cast bullets and came across about 1600 9mm 120gr RN cast from a 10 cavity H&G 115, sized and lubed. I had no idea that I had these. I think I traded the mould to TEXASFLYBOY a few years back for a different H&G 9mm 6 cavity, and had cast, sized and lubed these some time ago. They were in the back of the reloading cabinet sealed nicely in a coffee can with a tight lid.
It was a pleasant Sunday - after the obligatory Sunday morning tasks (out to breakfast with the S/O, dump run, hardware store stop) I fired up the heater in the casting shed, turned on the NASCAR race (then the UNH Hockey game), set up the Dillon 550, measured out 4.7 gr 231, and went to town. I started loading and wound up with well over 1000 loaded 9mm rounds by the end of the afternoon.....and there are still more to go. I'll finish them this week.
Went out in the back yard and test fired at about every 300 or so, case gauged about every 50 or so to make sure they fit, and all in all came up with a nice little stash of 9mm.
I am glad I listened to the little voice in my head when Obama was elected in 2008 and again in 2012. I stocked up.
The only thing that might be harder to replace will be the powder. I could use 16 lbs each of 748 and 296. I have 16 lbs of 231. That should last a long time. That would just give me the breathing room for comfort and not make me feel like I am running out.
For once in my life, I planned ahead. Sometimes I even surprise mself.

GRUMPA
03-18-2013, 09:46 AM
Those little "treasure troves" as I like to call them make my day. The bad part is I don't find them unless I go through and completely go and remove everything in order to reorganize the shelves. The one down side is when you know you have something saved up and have to go hunting for it, I can't remember how many times I go hunting for that all important stash only to move everything, run out of room set things on the floor, trip over them, run outta flat spots.

At that point that all important hunting expedition now got side tracked and my mind now is focused on wondering how am I going to get all this stuff back in, in an organized manner so I wont have to go through this ever again. So far this has been going on for over 15yrs now and somehow I either never learned my lesson or I keep finding those "deals" and keep adding insult to injury.

Just now I realized that there is a limit to how much you can put in a 10x10 room and still know what's in there.

Artful
03-18-2013, 09:46 AM
Enjoy the fruits of your labor and planning
- watch out for grassshoppers said the ant.

john hayslip
03-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Amen, Grumpa - I know all about the problem.

rockrat
03-18-2013, 10:55 AM
Picked up some Alliant MP300 at Sportsmans, hoping it might work for my 300 blackout. Its a little too fast for what I want, its closer to 296, I think. You might find some as I think its a little known powder. Maybe Kittery might have some, if they don't have any 296

RayinNH
03-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Donald at first I thought this was going to be a shooting thread. It was breezy and cold yesterday.

I did some casting on Saturday. My brother came to my shop to cast for a .32 H&R mag he bought in a yard sale a number of years ago. This was his first casting session. To quote "this is kinda fun". I think a lead pot is in his future. I have two pots, i was casting 311284's for the Krag.

Love Life
03-18-2013, 11:24 AM
Those little "treasure troves" as I like to call them make my day. The bad part is I don't find them unless I go through and completely go and remove everything in order to reorganize the shelves. The one down side is when you know you have something saved up and have to go hunting for it, I can't remember how many times I go hunting for that all important stash only to move everything, run out of room set things on the floor, trip over them, run outta flat spots.

At that point that all important hunting expedition now got side tracked and my mind now is focused on wondering how am I going to get all this stuff back in, in an organized manner so I wont have to go through this ever again. So far this has been going on for over 15yrs now and somehow I either never learned my lesson or I keep finding those "deals" and keep adding insult to injury.

Just now I realized that there is a limit to how much you can put in a 10x10 room and still know what's in there.

Amen. I am still looking for 50 pieces of virgin Remington 8X57 brass that I moved last time I cleaned the reloading area.

WILCO
03-18-2013, 12:39 PM
Those little "treasure troves" as I like to call them make my day.

Same here. Puts a smile on my face everytime I find something long forgotten.

357Ruger
03-18-2013, 01:40 PM

Wow, I thought I was the only one who did those things! I sometimes lament to my wife that I spend more time looking for stuff than actually accomplishing anything. She just laughs and says "It seems to be my lot in life".

**oneshot**
03-18-2013, 02:19 PM
CRS has it's upside now and then!!!! ha ha!

RayinNH
03-18-2013, 03:11 PM
CRS has it's upside now and then!!!! ha ha!

Every day seems like Christmas.

FISH4BUGS
03-19-2013, 09:08 AM
I loaded the rest of the 9mm last night. Boy it feels good to have 1500 9mm loaded and in those pretty Dillon blue ammo containers. WHAT shortage? As long as I don't take them out with the subguns, they should last a while. It is very easy to shoot 500 rounds in an afternoon with the selector switch on FULL.
Now....to start the 9mm subsonic for the supressed UZI SBR. I ordered 2000 Berry's 147 gr plated RN 9mm bullets thinking they would be shipped in like 3 months or so, and they showed up 3 days later. Those also came with 1000 115 gr 9mm plated bullets.
Just for chuckles, i started timing myself and taking my time.....was able to do 400 per hour with ease on the Dillon 550. Load 4 primer tubes, fill the powder hopper, and let 'er rip.....
This is what it is all about. Casting and loading......there is a great sense of satisfaction to be able to manufacture my own ammunition. Not to mention that some day that might be worth something to barter with.
Or as my SO calls it my reloading and casting is "man knitting".