PDA

View Full Version : Makers Mark Red Wax

Shootn
08-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Hi Guys. I'm playing with a block of Beeswax, some Vasaline and a little Parafin to try to come up with a decent panlube. I have a bottle of Makers Mark in the cabinet. Did I read somewhere that the wax seal on this is carnuba? Is it worth trying in my mix? Thanks guys!

sundog
08-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Drink the Makers Mark. Everything else will go well.

JesterGrin_1
08-19-2007, 06:54 PM
Sundog you are just not right lol.

Shootn Take a look at the Felix lube. I have yet to make my own but many swear by it. :) Happy Cooking. :) http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=543

Johnch
08-19-2007, 07:09 PM
I have a bottle of Makers Mark in the cabinet. Did I read somewhere that the wax seal on this is carnuba? !

It is or at least used to be

I know a bartender that used to save it for his homebrew bullet lube

BTW I can help you drink that bottle if you need a excuse to buy another :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

John

Shootn
08-19-2007, 07:31 PM
Ya'll are welcome to help with the fine Kentucky Bourbon if you find yourself in Tennessee. Just let me know you're comin' by!

BTW...Pan Lube....I'm thinking 1 part beeswax/.75 part Vaseline/.25 part parrafin....am I on the right track?

rigmarol
08-19-2007, 09:53 PM
Go to the cheese section at the grocery store. The Red wax coating on the cheese is carnuba was I'm told. It's what I put in my Felix and I'm happy.

Newtire
08-20-2007, 08:58 AM
I found a can of carnauba wax at the recycle center at our local "refuse disposal station" (dump). It was for furniture polish and looks like you could buy it at lumber/hardware store. I made up a batch of Felix Lube a few years ago using it & it mixed right in. I have enough Felix Lube to last a good long time from just that one session. They use this in car wax so try the auto parts stores.

felix
08-20-2007, 09:38 AM
Pure carnauba is hard and has an extreme melting point. Best to obtain it as most folks are doing it via products already mixed with another wax. Use the real thing only for making large batches; and, even then you will need patience so as not to burn the crap out of it. Use only the amount necessary to provide that desired shine, and no more. Approach that amount needed cautiously, because it is hard to go backwards. Been there, done that too many times, going backwards, that is. Not worth the hassle. ... felix

Ol'Scudder
08-20-2007, 12:14 PM
Felix, i have some of the pure stuff - haven't tried it yet. Would you mind giving an estimate for enough to slick up the barrel, like per pound of your lube, in grains per pound or whatever? Or is it worthwhile or helpful?

Shootn, i have some of the pure Carnauba and would be happy to send you some to try if you wish, just let me know. And what in the world are you drinking that Kentucky whiskey for when Lynchburg, where they make that fine Black Label stuff is just a ways south of you? Mercy! ( I wouldn't turn down a sip of either one, would you?).

About 40 yrs ago I lived east of you in McMinnville for a while - beautiful country.
Smyrna at that time was famous for their speed trap on the Nashville hiway - bet they still have one.

44man
08-20-2007, 12:59 PM
Felix, I added a teaspoon to a batch of you lube in a double boiler and it melted in nicely. I bought the little flakes.
Shootin, send me the bottle so I can inspect it. :-D

Sky C.
08-20-2007, 01:38 PM
...Use only the amount necessary to provide that desired shine, and no more. Approach that amount needed cautiously, because it is hard to go backwards. Been there, done that too many times, going backwards, that is. Not worth the hassle. ... felix

Felix-

What is the downside of excess carnauba in the lube?

Thanks-

Sky C.

felix
08-20-2007, 02:30 PM
Viscosity goes ballistic. ... felix

felix
08-20-2007, 02:37 PM
44man, that is the only way to do it. I've done that too for small batches, but you are one person who knows when to quit? Most of us get too heavy handed. Keep the batches on the small side, and all will come out OK, and you won't run into a patience problem. Mix, let cool, then shoot; mix, let cool, then shoot, etc. Get's boring fast unless you have a back door like you have. I gotta' basement for such trials, but my energy level of going back and forth up and down stairs is going to the pits, literally. ... felix

leftiye
08-20-2007, 07:44 PM
On another thread a member put forth that he adds a tablespoon of C-wax per cup of his lube. Is this more or less than we're talking about? I'm trying to get a tab on how much per volume might be too much. I've been thinking that Carnauba, and Castor wax might build up too thick if too much was in the mix. Is this right? While we're at it- viscosity is the film strength of the material? Or....?

Shootn
08-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Felix, i have some of the pure stuff - haven't tried it yet. Would you mind giving an estimate for enough to slick up the barrel, like per pound of your lube, in grains per pound or whatever? Or is it worthwhile or helpful?

Shootn, i have some of the pure Carnauba and would be happy to send you some to try if you wish, just let me know. And what in the world are you drinking that Kentucky whiskey for when Lynchburg, where they make that fine Black Label stuff is just a ways south of you? Mercy! ( I wouldn't turn down a sip of either one, would you?).

About 40 yrs ago I lived east of you in McMinnville for a while - beautiful country.
Smyrna at that time was famous for their speed trap on the Nashville hiway - bet they still have one.

Thanks boys! I may just forget the carnuba for now. If I can get the mix to work in my pan-lubing I'll stop there for now.

Ol 'Scudder....I know they make the mighty Jack Daniels South of here, but it never tripped my trigger. Even closer than Lynchburg is Tullahoma where they make George Dickle. Their white label is great sour mash.

Smyrna is still a spped trap, but you wouldn't recognize the place now. It's gotten WAY too big. You can't swing a dead cat without hittin' somebody around here anymore!:mrgreen:

BD
08-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Alas, the secret is out. The red wax from the 1/2 gallon jug of Makers mark is just the right amount to add to a double batch of Felix's World Famous Wonder lube. I've been using this recipe for more than 5 years to lube everything I'm slinging downrange. No complaints at all. The wax from the gouda is of a far lessor provenance, and may impart a foul odor. Perhaps not in the gunsmoke, but surely from the shooter.
BD

Single Shot
08-20-2007, 08:47 PM
And after going through six gallons of Makers mark I have a good supply of wax.

And no I did not drink it all myself. Family reunion with 117 relatives did it.
(plus assorted other beverages)

:drinks:

Single Shot
08-20-2007, 08:48 PM
Alas, the secret is out. The red wax from the 1/2 gallon jug of Makers mark is just the right amount to add to a double batch of Felix's World Famous Wonder lube. I've been using this recipe for more than 5 years to lube everything I'm slinging downrange. No complaints at all. The wax from the gouda is of a far lessor provenance, and may impart a foul odor. Perhaps not in the gunsmoke, but surely from the shooter.
BD

Slice the gouda. Stop cutting the cheese:twisted:

felix
08-20-2007, 08:51 PM
Need to change your name to single malt, and forget that single shot business. ... felix

krag35
08-20-2007, 08:56 PM
even if the wax from Makers Mark isn't Carnuba wax, procuring a supply is worth the effort :-) I have added it to the last several batches of lube, and while I can't guarantee the success of adding it, I can verify that it was a good way to.

felix
08-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Level tablespoon in a pound of mix should be starters. Double and triple that with the other carnauba waxes already mixed into something else, like that with MakersMark, Gudda, etc. Always look for that blinding barrel shine after shooting a couple of rounds. If not, gradually increase the "carnauba", or whatever contains that flavor. ... felix

Jim
08-21-2007, 06:14 AM
I've tried lots of combinations and mixes and since I found JPW, I've decided there ain't nothin' easier or better.

Taylor
08-21-2007, 07:28 AM
Hey Shootn,I'm with you on the bourbon,sorry Lem. Clarksville here.