PDA

View Full Version : Bullets out of the mold now what?

Utah Shooter
03-17-2013, 11:31 PM
Ok so I am obviously new to this. Been here a long time on the swaging part here but not too much time here.

My questions is what do I need to do after dropping the lead out of my Lee TC 124 gr mold, do I need to lube them and if so how?

runfiverun
03-18-2013, 12:38 AM
it's the one with the lube groove right?

you have a couple of choices.
tumble lube, size, and t/l again.
or pan lube and size.
or use a lubesizer, which I know you ain't got.

i'd measure them, hopefully they are 358 or a titch bigger.
and get the lee push through sizer.
and start with 45/45/10 lube.

MT Chambers
03-18-2013, 02:33 AM
Do yourself and the rest of the household a favor and buy a lubesizer, with the proper die and top punch.

nhrifle
03-18-2013, 02:44 AM
Lube. Load. Shoot. Smile. Repeat.

Tumble lube will work fine if you don't have a Lubrisizer, but you will want a Lubrisizer eventually. Boolits look much more professional and won't be tacky.

ku4hx
03-18-2013, 10:13 AM
If you elect to tumble lube, a light dusting of Motor Mica applied after the final lubing has dried will take care of any tackiness. I apply it in a gallon size heavy duty freezer bag. Drop in a smidgen of MM, seal the bag and roll it around on a doubled over towel until all boolits have that nice pewter look ... minute or so does it for me.

blikseme300
03-18-2013, 11:25 AM
If you elect to tumble lube, a light dusting of Motor Mica applied after the final lubing has dried will take care of any tackiness. I apply it in a gallon size heavy duty freezer bag. Drop in a smidgen of MM, seal the bag and roll it around on a doubled over towel until all boolits have that nice pewter look ... minute or so does it for me.

Good info ^^^^.

Another way is to use 45-45-10 for tumble lube. Check the stickies and all will be revealed.

mdi
03-18-2013, 12:47 PM
I think a copy of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook would be a great addition to your library. Also check the "Boolit Lube" section here. There's several ways to lube your bullets without spending $$ on a lubersizer, dies, and nose punches. Tumble (or Dip) lubing and pan lubing being the most popular...

alfloyd
03-18-2013, 02:01 PM
Or you could come up to my place and I will show you about sizing and lubing those.

We need to get together again anyway.

Lafaun

Utah Shooter
03-18-2013, 07:22 PM
So I need to resize them correct?

Thanks for the invite Lafaun. I forgot you are into that as well.

MtGun44
03-18-2013, 09:20 PM
Read up on lubrisizers or pan lubing. The success rate with tumble lubing
doesn't seem to be too good for 9mm, we get a lot of folks asking how to fix
the leading problems when they TL for that caliber.

Pan lubing is cheap and easy, low first cost, but time consuming. A lubrisizer
is much quicker and more convenient, but the machine costs about $50-150
depending on what you get.

Bill

newcastter
03-28-2013, 06:15 PM
What type of bullet lube groove do you have? Multiple/Tumble or One groove/Pan.
Some of these guys suggesting a lubrasizer are probably casting thousands of bullets.
I cast quite a bit and I tumble and Pan lube.
If you dont have a sizer then order a Lee sizer kit from Titan or FS reloading and remember for lead size .001 bigger than your bore. It will come with enough lube to last you for years.

MtGun44
03-28-2013, 07:22 PM
Have you read this sticky? May help you.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?121737-Setting-up-for-boolits-in-a-new-9mm

Bill

Utah Shooter
03-29-2013, 11:28 PM
What type of bullet lube groove do you have? Multiple/Tumble or One groove/Pan.
Some of these guys suggesting a lubrasizer are probably casting thousands of bullets.
I cast quite a bit and I tumble and Pan lube.
If you dont have a sizer then order a Lee sizer kit from Titan or FS reloading and remember for lead size .001 bigger than your bore. It will come with enough lube to last you for years.

I have the micro I believe it is called. Has 3 grooves I believe. I actually am planning on ordering one of the Lee Sizer kits.

Have you read this sticky? May help you.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?121737-Setting-up-for-boolits-in-a-new-9mm

Bill

I have not but will have it read in the next 10 minutes. Thank you for the link!