PDA

View Full Version : Polaris ATV help.

44man
03-17-2013, 12:08 PM
Oil is special 2W-50 synthetic and a kit with filter is super expensive added to the distance to the dealer.
Are there any good replacements?

ridurall
03-17-2013, 12:14 PM
I can't help you with your Polaris but on some of the Rhino forums I found some great filters that were better then Yamaha and a lot cheaper.
I also run Mobil One for Motorcycles in the Rhino. It does not have any Moly. which I take is not good for the tranmission.

marlin39a
03-17-2013, 01:22 PM
I now use Mobil 1 20W-50 that is JASO rated for wet clutch in my Honda. I get it at Walmart for about $10.00 quart. They stock my filter also. I don't know if this will work for your machine. I sometimes buy over $100.00 from Rocky Mountain ATV to get free shipping. Doubt I'll do anymore business with them as they are in Colorado.

runfiverun
03-17-2013, 02:55 PM
seeing as how Polaris is not in the business of making oil I would bet there is an alternative.
i'd bet amsoil,royal purple,or lucas oil would have what you need.

possom813
03-17-2013, 03:52 PM
Gander Mtn's that still have ATV shops in them(ours did, a long time ago) will have an alternative oil that's about $8-10 per quart, they may still have it, even without the shop, back in the atv area.

I found my oil filters on ebay, a 3 pack for around $25 delivered.

edit to add, the oil is in a black container that just says something along the lines of 'atv oil' on the front.

Superfly
03-17-2013, 04:44 PM
Ok i need the year of the machine

Engine ect.

I worked at polaris for 10 years and wife did 12 there.

Havening owned over 35 of them i kinda know the ins and outs.

There is lots of substitute oils you can use and alot that are way better then the Lubtech **** that is in the polaris Jugs.

My pesonal Choice is Amsoil Then Mobile 1. For the engine for the front gear case i use type f tranny fliud NOT ATF Or dextron TYPE F is the Substitute for the Stock Polaris Oil.

Transmission uses a moly sulphide lube lables gear case oil lots of little bearings in the tranny.

Yes you DO not Need The Synthetic oil in the engine All it does it help for cold weather starting and for high heat use right from the polaris Engine builders and enginers i know Right From polaris.

I change my Oil ALot sometimes 2 times a weekend depending on how deep the water was or if i went Swimming with the atv yeap they do float sometimes sometimes not.

Look at napa for a replacment oil filter and Amzoil for oil you will be better off and a bit more mone left over.

44man
03-18-2013, 08:01 AM
Thanks, oils sound close in price but I hate to drive so far for it.
Mine is a 2013 Ranger 400 midsize, side by side. It has the dump bed and works like a charm to haul deer and a little trailer load of wood. I take my shooting stuff down to my range with it, that hill got old walking it.
It does not get hard use but my dogs love to ride.
I have to find an oil filter number, thing is small. Might be the same as my mower uses and I get those at Cutters Choice for around $4.

rockrat
03-18-2013, 11:04 AM
I like Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec in my machines (not polaris though). Did you mean 20w-50? If actually 2w-50, the maybe the Castrol Syntec 5w-50 would work.
Don't know about Polaris filters, but when I had my Honda Valkyrie MC, I cut apart about every spin on filter I could get my hands on, for the bike, to see how they were constructed. The three best were the factory, NAPA, and amazingly enough, Wal mart (which I think is made by WIX).

Don't know if yours is a cartidge type or spin on. Careful about oils containing friction modifiers, if your is a wet clutch. I know in my Valkyrie, they were a no-no.

44man
03-18-2013, 12:24 PM
It is a spin on. This one has a variable transmission system, Belt. Most likely centrifugal.
Oil system is a plastic tank with most of the oil in it. Fed to a pump and the crank case itself only holds a cup of oil. It is strange and has a water cooled engine.
I don't think it has a wet clutch.
Front gear case uses what is called Demand drive Plus Fluid. Transmission uses premium AGL Synthetic Gear case Lube.