PDA

View Full Version : Information...Power 4 Patriots ???

missionary5155
03-17-2013, 06:05 AM
Good morning
Here in Peru we live in a desert so we have a sun powered solar water heater. I am all for the use of free energy God has given us.
So I see these adds popping up about this "Power 4 Patriots". I understand it is a money making venture for the author. But has anyone purchased the "Kit" and is it worth whatever price they author is selling it for ?
Mike in Peru

41 mag fan
03-17-2013, 08:15 AM
Sounds interesting Mike. I'd like to have solar panels myself, but money is the option at this time.

Gar
03-17-2013, 09:01 AM
Mike, before you spend your money, checkout this site for information:

http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum/f2/power-4-patriots-11566/

All of the information offered by Power 4 Patriots was probably gleaned off of the internet.

GRUMPA
03-17-2013, 09:18 AM
I clicked on that link that takes me to another forum and just glimpsed at what others wrote and sounds like 1 of those self help outfits that once they get your money your forgotten.

Mike, solar comes in many flavors depending on it's intended use and they require basic math to calculate what a system can handle which all depends on how big your wallet is.

Here's a couple of pictures from my sales page:

Any questions just PM me, I live the solar life 24/7 and your not going to be running anything like an A/C unit with this set-up.

missionary5155
03-17-2013, 10:11 AM
Thanks grumpa and gar
I figured it was one of those "money making deals" for the seller. Knew there would be someone here who has already jumped into the water and knew more about it all than me.
Thanks Mike

uscra112
03-17-2013, 10:22 AM
I've researched solar off and on for at least 10 years now. Being a (retired) engineer the idea has always interested me.

I do have a 40 watt panel, charging some cast-off auto batteries to run my satellite internet and the computers and phones, "just in case". But unless you are living off the grid in a very sunny part of the world, even the best systems are a factor of two from being cost effective, and I'd say 90% of the "entrepreneurs" selling systems are fly-by-nights at best. See if you can buy a maqazine called "Home Power" where you are. Read that for a year or two, then decide.

reloader28
03-17-2013, 10:57 AM
I know 2 people that orderd the kits. Looked good to me.
They got a nice set of DVD's, a computer disc, and a big book showing you how to build solar panels and systems.
I've watched part of my Dads and thought it was interesting. He sent the computer disc home with me but I aint watched it yet.

Around here it wouldnt take long for a solar/wind system to pay for itself. We have almost the most expensive electric in the country. I do have a small 45 watt system and am thinking of going bigger and getting a wind generator.

OeldeWolf
03-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Solar and wind power have been of interest to me for a while, now. But the biggest expense seems to be the battery bank, and its regular replacement every 5 to 7 years. The house sized batteries I have seen from commercial firms, needed a forklift to position, as well. Any suggestions on electrical storage?

Edubya
03-17-2013, 03:04 PM
I have seen a lot of solar water heaters in South/Central America and in the Mid-East. There should be plenty of information on a simple water heater unit. That alone should lower your utility costs even if it was set up as a preheater before the regular water heater.

EW

uscra112
03-18-2013, 12:02 AM
I have seen a lot of solar water heaters in South/Central America and in the Mid-East. There should be plenty of information on a simple water heater unit. That alone should lower your utility costs even if it was set up as a preheater before the regular water heater.

EW

Right track ! Too many people are stuck in the idea that they need to replicate the on-grid lifestyle with an off-grid system. Not practical, IMHO. I've researched how farmers lived before the grid got to them, which for a great many wasn't until just before WW2. The first electric thing they ever had was a dry cell lighting system for the barn. (Kerosene lanterns caused an awful lot of fires!) Next they had a battery radio. They heated and cooked with wood, (or coal). The Amish who live all around me here in Ohio thrive using no electricity at all. It's a very different lifestyle, but it works! I haven't gone that far, but I do heat with wood, cook with propane, and collect rainwater in case I can't run my well pump. Of course you have to live where there is a copious supply of wood or coal, and where it rains enough.....

Battery life isn't the only killer with solar electricity. The cells themselves have a half-life. Last time I looked, the less expensive ones were down by 50% in just 3-4 years. Where they are now with the best ones I don't know.

A great plan for an "alternative" battery pack would be to hijack a Chevy Volt. Those A123 cells are pretty good. But they're expensive. That's why you have to hijack one - you can't afford to just buy one, even with the subsidies.