PDA

View Full Version : Went to the local Gun SHow today

stubshaft
03-16-2013, 10:56 PM
It was a disappointment to say the least.

Besides being underwhelmed by the amount of "Black Guns" there. I couldn't find anything worthwhile. There was a line sixty yards long to buy .223 ammo, and the local news crews were focusing on that. Primers were on "sale" for $63.00 a thousand!

There was no powder to be had, and the majority of cases were once fired .223 brass, and worst of all.

THERE WAS ONLY ONE BOOLIT MOLD IN THE WHOLE DARN PLACE! A well used 185gr Lee single cavity mold.

I spent more on parking and admission than I did inside at the "show".

TXGunNut
03-16-2013, 11:47 PM
Haven't been to a gun show in years. Learned a lot in my early years in this hobby by strolling the aisles, looking things over and talking to people more knowledgeable than me. There are things at a gun show that you'll never see in a LGS or much of anywhere else. Last time I went it was all about greed and trying to pull a fast one on an unsuspecting buyer. From reports here and elsewhere I wonder about the future of the gun show as I remember it. Panic buying and price gouging is a show I won't pay to see, not worth the gas, parking or price of admission.

Swamp Man
03-17-2013, 12:23 AM
You know I've never been to a gun show and been into shooting,hunting my whole life. I started to go to one a while back just to see what all the buzz was about. Then I talked to my little brother and a few friends that went and they all said it was nothing but a big rip off so I never went. From the sounds of things I've heard lately seem they were right or am I missing something about them that makes it worthwhile?

uscra112
03-17-2013, 12:54 AM
You know I've never been to a gun show and been into shooting,hunting my whole life. I started to go to one a while back just to see what all the buzz was about. Then I talked to my little brother and a few friends that went and they all said it was nothing but a big rip off so I never went. From the sounds of things I've heard lately seem they were right or am I missing something about them that makes it worthwhile?

Nowadays, your lil'bro and friends are pretty much on the mark. Used to be that you'd find bargains on old guns and old kit, and 50% of the tables would be collectors to swap yarns with, but all the good old stuff is on Gunbroker and evilBay now, (and at silly prices), so the big shows became mostly FFL dealers selling new stuff, especially black rifles and modern handguns at full list, ammo at list, and various cheap carport commando and mall-ninja junk. And expensive "survival foods" and jerky. If you wanted to shop for a handgun and didn't know what you wanted, you might get to see a bigger selection than at your LGS, but you sure wouldn't save any money buying at a show.

With the panic having set in, prices are sky-high, selection is way down, and the crowds are horrible. I almost went to a local show here this weekend, but blew it off. And it's only 20 miles away.

khmer6
03-17-2013, 12:59 AM
Did you go to the Glendale gun show?

Swamp Man
03-17-2013, 02:28 AM
Nowadays, your lil'bro and friends are pretty much on the mark. Used to be that you'd find bargains on old guns and old kit, and 50% of the tables would be collectors to swap yarns with, but all the good old stuff is on Gunbroker and evilBay now, (and at silly prices), so the big shows became mostly FFL dealers selling new stuff, especially black rifles and modern handguns at full list, ammo at list, and various cheap carport commando and mall-ninja junk. And expensive "survival foods" and jerky. If you wanted to shop for a handgun and didn't know what you wanted, you might get to see a bigger selection than at your LGS, but you sure wouldn't save any money buying at a show.

With the panic having set in, prices are sky-high, selection is way down, and the crowds are horrible. I almost went to a local show here this weekend, but blew it off. And it's only 20 miles away. Well I'm glad I didn't go then because I have seen more then enough black gun lately. I like brown gun you know the ones that use to be made with wood and not cheap plastic.

jdgabbard
03-17-2013, 10:02 AM
My Boss, who is the Owner of the larger forum for in my state, had me go down to the Local Gun Show's office and buy 200 tickets the other day. He is planning on doing a hand out for them. He asked me if I wanted to attend dealer day with him. "Hell no!" He replied,"Why is that? You always go to the show?" And I told him,"There is nothing there I can either afford, or would buy if I could. I'll wait until things calm down."

Smitty's Retired
03-17-2013, 10:07 AM
There was a show about 60 miles from me this weekend. I couldn't bring myself to go. I don't always go specifically to buy something, and sometimes go just to see some of the older displays or just to see if something sparks my fancy.

But, I remember how it was back right before the Brady Bill was enacted. I detest cheats, scammers and those who will take advantage of current situations. I also remember some of the, let's say untruths, that some of the dealers were spouting to help their sales. I also remember when things got back to normal, when people were walking around later gunshows, sadly trying to sell their $1500 & $1600 investements they had made. No thanks, to gun shows for now. I'll wait a bit.

TXGunNut
03-17-2013, 10:51 AM
I wish we could go back to the days when gun show tables were bought by hobbyists with the intention of selling to other hobbyists. When I started going to gun shows it was rare to find a dealer that actually made a living @ gun shows. Nowadays I suspect it's rare to find a hobbyist behind a gunshow table.