PDA

View Full Version : NOE 225 70gr RN

Phoenix
03-16-2013, 10:10 PM
I just ordered a NOE 70gr RN for @ .225 to try out on my ARs

I was just wondering if anyone had loaded cast for their AR using this or similar boolit.

I have several barrel twist rates to choose from. I am thinking the 1/8 may be the best choice here.

They will be gas checked, was planning on a harder alloy in the 20 bhn range. But am open to trying all sorts of alloys.

Was also thinking WC844, WC846 of H4895

Interested in your input, thanks

.5mv^2
03-17-2013, 09:55 AM
How will the gas port like the lead passing by?

Doc Highwall
03-17-2013, 11:45 AM
You can shoot lead in a AR with no problem. I have that same bullet mould but I am going to be shooting it out of both a single shot rifle and a bolt action rifle. For my AR I have a Mihec 227-65 grain 5.56 NATO 4Cavity Brass along with a SAECO #221 60 grain 4 cavity. The MiHec mould was designed for a NATO chamber that differs from a 223 Remington chamber. There is a group buy on right now for a MiHec 75 grain bullet that I am going to get in also.

Read some of the threads under the military rifle section and you will learn a lot. Also read some of the discussions under the group buys section both open and archived.

rhadamanthos12
03-17-2013, 12:32 PM
what is the OAL you are getting with the 70gr, I'm on the fence about getting one and it doesn't appear there are many left.

I have the RCBS 55gr, and at 2.24 it leave the lube groove exposed, just curious where the base of the bullet is at for a given OAL.

.5mv^2
03-17-2013, 12:40 PM
Thanks I was not aware of possibility of shooting lead in gas operated weapon

runfiverun
03-17-2013, 12:59 PM
20 is an okay place to start depending on how you get it.
I started with lino, and cut that in half, balanced the alloy a bit better and found more accuracy.

rhad.
sounds like you have plenty of room for more bearing length.

gas ports only care if you have gas cutting.

Doc Highwall
03-17-2013, 01:15 PM
Here is the thread on the NOE bullet.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?64714-NOE-225-RN-60Gr

rhadamanthos12
03-17-2013, 01:25 PM
Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Phoenix
03-17-2013, 04:12 PM
20 is an okay place to start depending on how you get it.
I started with lino, and cut that in half, balanced the alloy a bit better and found more accuracy.

rhad.
sounds like you have plenty of room for more bearing length.

gas ports only care if you have gas cutting.

I have Lino, Mono, Foundry, WW, Sheet Lead, Pipe. Pure tin and solder. I can make about anything easily enough. This is why I was wondering about heat treating for this project. If need be I can heat treat these to 30+ I would assume heat treating would happen after sizing and putting the GC on. at 30bhn i would imagine getting it sized and GCd would be a bear.

Phoenix
03-17-2013, 04:19 PM
what is the OAL you are getting with the 70gr, I'm on the fence about getting one and it doesn't appear there are many left.

I have the RCBS 55gr, and at 2.24 it leave the lube groove exposed, just curious where the base of the bullet is at for a given OAL.

Per my calculations the OAL would be 2.255 and the boolit would extend past the neck .050 which should not be a problem. It would crimp toward the bottom of the band just above the first lube groove.

runfiverun
03-17-2013, 07:14 PM
hard is not the answer.
cut the lino in half with soft, add a little more tin and just water drop.
the tin has a negating affect on the water hardening it just solidifies everything faster.

my sizing is more a clean-up step, and mostly just lubes and sizes the check into place.

what is more important is the ruthless visual culling, and the weight sorting.
I sort into batches of .01gr steps.
toss back the light ones [yeah I waste some gas checks]
you can mitigate this by weight sorting before sizing, but you still end up tossing a few back at the end.
I end up with 6 cups of assorted boolits.
it does make me really pay attention to my casting but has carried over into my other molds too making them better.
without using stuff like mold locks etc, I generally keep everything in a 2% or less weight variation with the outliers at a minimum.
you can see the results pretty quickly right at the sizer.

Phoenix
03-17-2013, 10:45 PM
I sort into batches of .01gr steps.

Did you intend to say .01gr? cat dander weighs less than that. I dont think you could find 2 the same weight.

I assume you meant .1gr?

runfiverun
03-18-2013, 12:42 AM
yeah tenth grain.
so all the 56.6 and 56.5 go into separate cups.
I have a scale that goes to 3 decimal places. [it drives me nuts sometimes]