PDA

View Full Version : What are suitable powders for blowing out....

madcaster
08-18-2007, 09:09 PM
the necks on a .30/30 hull to .375 WCF?
Unique?
Bullseye?
How much?
Thank you all,
Jeff.

Scrounger
08-18-2007, 09:26 PM
Probably either; about 10gr Unique, 5gr Bullseye.

beagle
08-18-2007, 09:33 PM
In making .38-55 cases from .30/30s (same as .375 Win) I used the following procedure.

FL resize .30/30s.

Prime with Large Rifle primers (Large pistol primers don't work)

I used 11.0 grains of Unique covered by a sheet of toliet paper folded in quarters and seated on top of the powder with a wooden pencil.

Add corn meal to mouth of case.

Compress slightly with the pencil.

Fold another sheet of TP into quarters and use it to seal case mouth.

In fireforming, I had best results by having the barrel pointed vertically. Firing horizontally caused some cases to form on one side only.

Use only once fired cases. Any that are discolored or old, aneal.

I obtained about 95% sucess with this method.

Case mouths will be uneven but trimming to .375 length will take them back uniform.

Cases formed in this manner last a long time with cast loads./beagle

garandsrus
08-18-2007, 10:39 PM
Madcaster,

I use 6.0gr Red Dot and then a case full of corn meal to the neck. Stuff in a little TP to keep the contents from spilling, and you are good to go...

I do hold the rifle pointed up but haven't had to worry about having it vertical. There is a small amount of recoil. As other folks have found out, make sure that you do somewhere without a ceiling!

John

leftiye
08-19-2007, 11:34 AM
This load (cornmeal) is also a good load for destroying paper wasp (Yellow Jacket) nests, FWIW (Don't ask me how I know). Turns 'em into goo. Use .38 spec or .357 revolter so you have six quick shots available JIC. Seal case mouths with wax.

Bass Ackward
08-19-2007, 12:15 PM
This load (cornmeal) is also a good load for destroying paper wasp (Yellow Jacket) nests, FWIW (Don't ask me how I know). Turns 'em into goo. Use .38 spec or .357 revolter so you have six quick shots available JIC. Seal case mouths with wax.

Good idea!!! Don't hurt the paint huh?

Freightman
08-19-2007, 02:09 PM
Shop smells like a chicken pen with the corn meal way, also my grand kids think it is a hoot for me to let them help me.

tommag
08-19-2007, 04:07 PM
I did this with .348 to make .450 ak and it is louder than you might imagine.

Marine Sgt 2111
08-19-2007, 08:54 PM
You use can also Accurate Arms #5 in place of Unique. I use it and corn meal to form 35 Whelens and .17 Ackley Hornets. I never loose cases to this method.

FWIW :Fire:

warf73
08-20-2007, 03:38 AM
When I was fire forming my 22 cheetah cases (necked down 243 Win.) I used Red powder then filled the case with corn meal then sealed the neck with bees wax.

Just a side note at 20 feet the wax plug will dent a steel entry way door in your garage [smilie=1:

garandsrus
08-20-2007, 09:29 AM
warf73,

The TP I use doesn't even make it 20 feet, especially if there is a headwind!

John

woody1
08-20-2007, 11:30 PM
I also use the 6 gr. Red Dot load topped w/ cornmeal and a smear of soft boolit lube to form 375 Win. from once fired 30-30. Regards, Woody

JSH
08-21-2007, 08:13 AM
I used to FF with COW. I found it to be a waste of powder and primer. I went to FF with a load that would fully form cases with the bullet just touching the lands. This will help hold the case as far back as it needs to be. <head seperation> will cease for the most part when FF this way. I lost sevral 7-30 case due to the brass strtching at the web rather thanshoulder area.
Besides, who can't use the trigger time.
Jeff

georgeld
08-22-2007, 01:03 AM
Two things here:

Don't ask me how I know, haha
As dumb assed kids we loaded 12ga with parafin wax and glass marbles, usually two or three to a hull. They'll split a railroad tie at 20 feet and great holes thru them a bit closer. What the range is, don't think we tested that.

Hornady is currently producing Hydraulic dies for case forming using water, a loading press and a rubber mallet. Way I read it. send them your finished/desired case and they'll make up the dies for around $110.

Fill the case with water, insert the rod/pin bottom section into the case and press it up into the die and smack the top part with a rubber mallet a couple good licks and it's formed. No fuss, no mess, no noise, don't have to go to the range or woods to make perfect cases.

Might be worth checking this out, I haven't yet, just read about it I think on Saubier last night.

Hope this news helps, do believe with a lathe and some thought it could be made at home a lot cheaper. Getting the die reamed just right will be the trick. But, hell, just use the chamber reamer to cut it to match the guns chamber. Million dollar idea I'd think.