PDA

View Full Version : First time casting help

Liberty'sSon
03-16-2013, 08:28 PM
Well I had my first casting experience today and I made a classic rookie mistake. I started smelting about half of my COWW, I skimmed out the clips and decided to gently add the rest of my WW. There was apparently a zinc WW in the second batch of WW so I got oatmeal. I realize is should have used a thermometer but it's the last thing on order and currently in route and I couldn't resist the beautiful Saturday afternoon to try and cast some ingots for my Lee pot. Well after getting "oatmeal" I promptly removed as much of the junk as I could and what was left in the cast iron pot actually looked half way decent, so I added a little paraffin, shimmed the dross and proceeded to ladle cast into the Lee 311-200-R mold I have to try and cast some subsonics for my 300BLK. What I ended up with was about a hundred or so decent boolits. I will try and attach some pics to this post but I'm kinda new at this so I make no promises. The weights ended up at an average of 197.5 grains +/- 1 grain. So I have a few questions. I just ditched the thrift store spoon and ladle I used, but what about the Dutch oven, how much of the zinc contamination must be removed to prevent contaminating the next batch? Based on the weight of the boolits cast, I don't think ther was very much zinc in them, so I will probably just use them for load development and function test in the AR. Any other pointers/info the good lead Doctors here on the forum would be much appreciated. Ok maybe there is an issue with adding pics from an iPad, I went to manage attachments, add file, but was unable to use the choose file button because it was greyed out. Any help with posting pics from an iPod?

detox
03-16-2013, 09:06 PM
Flux first then remove oatmeal. Dross can also look like oatmeal.

Have you tried Photobucket?