PDA

View Full Version : 10mm Duplex loads (ala Doubletap Equalizer)

Jumbopanda
03-16-2013, 02:01 AM
I noticed that Doubletap makes a 230gr 10mm load that consists of a 135gr JHP on top of a 95gr round ball. I was wondering if anyone has ever handloaded something like this. It seems to me that a short wadcutter bullet would be a better choice than a round ball since case space is extremely limited in these loads. Any ideas?

Oreo
03-16-2013, 08:48 AM
When you said "duplex load" I thought you were referring to the powder charge.

I know this isn't a direct answer to your question but I'd steer clear of those for any serious use. If they were more effective then a single slug everyone would be doing it. The idea isn't new.

captaint
03-16-2013, 09:44 AM
What Oreo said. Why fool with it at all ?? My understanding is that the .40 works pretty
well just as is. I think this is a good example of the "Good Idea Fairy" getting involved.
We've all been there !!! Mike

runfiverun
03-16-2013, 02:34 PM
you'd have to figure the powder pretty good to hold the ball in contact with the bullet.
otherwise it will slam into the base of the stationary bullet under ignition.
this is a real good way to cause chamber ringing.

Shiloh
03-16-2013, 03:41 PM
When you said "duplex load" I thought you were referring to the powder charge.

I know this isn't a direct answer to your question but I'd steer clear of those for any serious use. If they were more effective then a single slug everyone would be doing it. The idea isn't new.

+1

There are those who use duplex loads with powders as well. I never felt comfortable with that either.

Shiloh

Mk42gunner
03-16-2013, 08:07 PM
I think just the 135 JHP scooting at full throttle from a 10mm would be better as an anti personnel round, but what do I know.

Robert

williamwaco
03-16-2013, 10:13 PM
Plus 1 on

"don't do it"