PDA

View Full Version : Man advertises guns he doesn't want to sell!

Olevern
03-15-2013, 10:12 PM
Looking thru a local forum (Pennswoods.com) that I peruse on occasion to see if I can find any bargains or other firearms or firearms related items I can't live without.

I stumbled upon a listing of 17 guns for sale with prices and a brief description of what each one was, followed by this (in capital letters):

ALSO GUYS IM *NOT* GOING TO SIT DOWN AND TAKE PICS OF EVERY GUN I HAVE THEY ARE ALL USED AND IN GOOD SHAPE......I DONT NEED TO SELL ANY OF THESE GUNS SO IM NOT GOING TO GO OUT OF MY WAY TO PLEASE YOU ALL........

I think he said it all when he stated "I don't need to sell any of these guns"; he surely isn't going to sell any to me with that attitude.

GRUMPA
03-15-2013, 10:20 PM
It sounds like one of my old phrases when folks call me up asking about the item I'm selling and want me to drop my price. I tell them there's a difference in having to sell, and wanting to sell, and I don't have to.

Hyphenated
03-15-2013, 10:33 PM
His wife prolly made him sell some guns. Now if nothing sells he can claim he put an ad on the internet and did his part. Not his fault they didn't sell. :D

dudits
03-15-2013, 11:24 PM
i understand his post 100%
some people will keep going back and forth till ya have gone through the whole lot 3 times in different orders.
guns are not and should not be a difficult deal.

i had a nagant for sale once online. was listed in good condition. posted a pic of each side.
started emailing back and forth with a potential buyer. after the 15th pic i told him i would not sell him the gun.

"what is that spot, can you do a super close up on it please?, oh look at that spot close up please. so on and so forth.
down the pipe? that pic as a little off can i have another?

i mean come on, a nagant in good condition!!!

FLINTNFIRE
03-15-2013, 11:39 PM
Dealing with the general public , can be a pain , always wanting to nickel and dime you down , if it is a fair price I will look if not I do not bother , I to feel that it is a I am offering for sale , do not need to , but maybe he does not want to sell , even with pictures it comes down to a in person visual inspection .

TXGunNut
03-15-2013, 11:53 PM
I hate selling guns, more often than not I regret it. Buyer's remorse? Manageable. Seller's remorse? Disappointment almost invariably. Unlike the reluctant seller above I'll take a reasonable loss and move on, but if if someone tries to lowball me I'll walk away. Plenty of room in my safe for guns looking for a good home. No need to dump them to some cretin who wants to chisel the last dollar off my price.

Charlie Two Tracks
03-16-2013, 08:00 AM
When I sell stuff, I put the price on it and that is it. No dealing. A few years ago, I sold my wood burning stove the add told them the price, that it was a firm price and they better call before I changed my mind. It sold the day the ad went out. Sight unseen. I don't care to haggle.

Olevern
03-16-2013, 08:17 AM
Not an issue for me that his prices are firm, it's his property and he can sell it for whatever he wishes. My issue is with his attitude, ie: I don't care if I sell and I am not going to go out of my way to please you all.
This forum contains ads from all over the state. So, if someone wants a pic to confirm condition (a subjective term) before driving several hundred miles to inspect is not unreasonable.
For a seller to take a combative position assuming every potential buyer is a "Richard"....well....there are other guns calling my name elsewhere.

JMHO

starnbar
03-16-2013, 08:26 AM
The best defense for selling on line is to use the nra guide and just be honest in your appraisal.

bob208
03-16-2013, 08:30 AM
i under stand him fully. i have been throught it many times. they ask about it want pictires you are asking $100. now you would take an offer of 90-85. they try to hammer you down to 50 and act like they are doing you a favor.

another one i would do is when do you want to look at it? what time will you be here? if they say 12:00 ok but if i have some place to go 12;15 i am gone. i have lost a whole day waiting for a no show.

41 mag fan
03-16-2013, 09:09 AM
Vern, I can understand your thoughts and this sellers position. From the sellers standpoint, I've had a few listings on here and I bet in the last 2 listings I've had 6 people say they'd take, then nothing. A few even went so far to say they'd buy if i had this or that to throw in with it or sell. Of course I said no, and they went away. Just really gets annoying, especially when you turn down other potential sales, just to get burned on it.

But then again, someone in your shoes, whose very interested and will probably buy, gets turned off when someone places an ad with wording like that.
I can understand, and a seller should go to a certain length to make the sale. And courteously do it, but he must of been hounded too much at some time in the past to word it like that, or it could be he's just a butt. there are those types out there in the world too!!

DCP
03-16-2013, 09:22 AM
Well I kind of took offence at this at 1st [smilie=l:

My father is named Richard and went by Dick so when I read "Richard".... I though what the heck. [smilie=1:

I thought a lot of things about my father when I was younger but not 1 time did I think of him as a :bigsmyl2: "Richard".... Funny how things stay with you.

For a seller to take a combative position assuming every potential buyer is a "Richard"....well....there are other guns calling my name elsewhere.

JMHO

Case Stuffer
03-16-2013, 09:31 AM
Guns for sell mixed sizes and conditions. All will go bang when loaded and trigger is pulled.

Prices as follows.

If you do not buy them then some one else likely will. Note some are no longer made and thus are or perhaps will become valuable antiques.

phonejack
03-16-2013, 09:39 AM
I set a price and that's it. I keep a list of names and phone numbers. I call the person at the top of the list "they are up! If they don't want to come over and buy it I am calling the next person. Cuts down on back and forth haggling

oneokie
03-16-2013, 10:21 AM
I think I met that man at a gunshow years ago. Table full of guns, price tags on each, none for sale at his asking price.

Swamp Man
03-16-2013, 10:37 AM
My first thought would be he is trying to sell a bunch of guns in bad shape. If someone places a ad and don't want to show pictures of the items don't even think about buying from them. I'm a vintage Garcia reel collector and have seen this kind of ad many times and it's a dead give away there is a scam about to be pulled.

blackthorn
03-16-2013, 11:10 AM
Well---sometimes it pays to start high and come down. A few years ago I had a truck for sale with a full set of (extra) snow tires on rims. I wanted $1800.00 for it and I listed it as such (firm). I got several calls and every one wanted me to drop the price. I left it out of the paper for two weeks, re-listed at 2200.00 and the first caller offered 2000.00. He bought a truck! He was happy happy happy (and so was I)!!

Love Life
03-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Hey!! I'm a "Richard" too.

montana_charlie
03-16-2013, 12:51 PM
I think he said it all when he stated "I don't need to sell any of these guns"; he surely isn't going to sell any to me with that attitude.
It kinda sounds like you feel you have been insulted. Is that accurate?
CM

TXGunNut
03-16-2013, 01:19 PM
I enjoy and expect a bit of haggling but when it comes to selling money talks and bs gets booted out the door. It's not sold until I see the green. I suspect this guy is unrealistic on his prices and/or has had a few cons pulled or attempted. I prefer motivated or at least interested sellers, suspect his heirs will take a lot less than he's asking.

Olevern
03-16-2013, 01:58 PM
It kinda sounds like you feel you have been insulted. Is that accurate?
CM

Nope...I just got a "read" on the personality involved when posting items for sale and the language indicated either a very low opinion of other people as a whole or at least potential buyers. I personally have had items for sale described in glowing terms by a seller, only to travel hours to buy it and find that it had been grossly mis-represented in terms of condition. On one such occasion, a whole day wasted traveling
A couple of pics of the item being sold, particularly when condition is everything and condition is a subjective term, does not seem to me to be a particularly onerous task if you want to sell.

I also dismiss out of hand any "gauging any interest in" ads as an announcement that you have a item you're not particularly motivated to sell, but would consider selling if you could get, say, double it's value. List the item, set a price (even if too high) and let it go at that. If you want to sell at auction with a high reserve, there are places for that, too.
Often, in these postings, the poster doesn't even have possession or ownership of the item, he/she is just trying to get a commitment to buy without having to put out any money to buy an item he "knows where is" until he has an offer to buy that exceeds the price he knows he can get the item for.
Don't have time to enter into negotiations on an item the seller won't commit to sell, perhaps because he doesn't even own it.

That's just me, based on MY previous experiences.

Olevern
03-16-2013, 02:00 PM
Apparently my reference to "Richards" in a negative context has rubbed persons the wrong way. My apologies to all Richards who might have been offended.
vern

montana_charlie
03-16-2013, 02:38 PM
... oops! ...

dudits
03-16-2013, 03:36 PM
my worst peeve about sales is when ya list a price, they haggle ya down and ya finally agree to it.
then they wait a day and try to haggle ya down a bit more.
had this happen recently

Gator 45/70
03-16-2013, 04:07 PM
Explain to me how he can sell 17 gun's without an FFL. in one year's time ?

DCP
03-16-2013, 04:21 PM
If your not engaged in the business. Buying and selling.
or
Your liquidating your collection I think he is ok

Explain to me how he can sell 17 gun's without an FFL. in one year's time ?

gbrown
03-16-2013, 04:36 PM
I see a lot of this same thing on a local website for classified ads. I read it as the bottom line. Whenever I have sold something like this, to me, there is the "asking price" and the "selling price." A lot of times I will list something, but it's 10-15% over my "bottom line". Allows the buyer to talk me down and feel better about the purchase. I don't blame someone for flat out telling people, "I'm in no mood to haggle, take it or leave it." As others have said on this thread, it gets tiresome having people trying to talk you down. Especially if you know the real retail value of the piece. If it's something that's really good, someone will see the value of it and pay the price.

Silvercreek Farmer
03-19-2013, 03:47 PM
All part of the game. I cruise craigslist and armslist on a regular basis and have probably bought 100 things over the past decade and sold nearly as many. Probably 95%+ of my transactions have been reasonable. I wish I could say the same about Wal-Mart, Lowe's and the grocery store, seems like something rings up at the wrong price at least 20% of the time!

psychicrhino
03-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Hmmmm. Have never sold a gun. Weird concept.