PDA

View Full Version : Am I thinking right?

crabo
08-18-2007, 02:43 PM
I am looking for a good 9mm bullet to use in my AR 15 and 38 Super. I know that this may seem redundant to ask this again, but here is what I am thinking....

If you ask for great 45 acp bullet, the H&G 68 is a winner. The H&G 81 is the same bullet design in a 9mm. IF the bullet design works that good in 45acp, as we all know, doesn't it stand to reason that the same design in a smaller acp type case, would also be a winner?

Am I thinking right here or are there issues with the 9mm that I am unaware of? I've loaded 1000s of the H&G 68 in 45 acp, so I know what it is all about.

Is there any other place to buy quality molds for the H&G bullets that aren't as expensive as Ballisticast and the original molds?

Thanks,

Crabo

ReAX222
08-18-2007, 09:15 PM
I believe case pressures are very different for the .45 and 9mm. However, as long as the bullet cycles, shoot it up. Every gun is just different enough to cause problems, so all I can suggest is learning from experience.

leftiye
08-18-2007, 09:28 PM
Don't shoot fer beans in a revolter (my experience), But in autos, the round nose hardball design comes very close to being as good as it gets. I use 125 gr. 2R one groove designs and truncated cone boolits in my 9mms, and though I am not a competitive shooter, they shoot very well (accurately, and feed flawlessly). Lee's 125 356 2R (non TL) has a too small lube groove, and needs to be dipped in wax, or LLA. The RN boolit is a paragon of feeding design.

SWCs might shoot targets better (not saying they do) I don't know. But I've read plenty here about how they give feeding problems, or maybe just won't feed in a particular gun.

beagle
08-18-2007, 09:39 PM
I've loaded and fired literally thousands of Lyman's SWC in my 9mm High Power without any problems.

It's the 358480 and mine weighs 133.5 grains and will hold up at 100 yards for can plinking. May be what you're looking for.

The 9mm's the same as the .45 ACP. You have to play around a bit with seating depth and sizing but once you find the sweet spot and record the overall length, there are no more problems./beagle

Sundogg1911
08-19-2007, 05:31 PM
My 38 super likes a heavier bullet like a 147 grain. :Fire: My AR is .223, but I have two 9mm carbines and they both like something around 125 gr. But every gun has different tastes.