PDA

View Full Version : Lead supplier

armoredman
08-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Well, I found another supplier. he has lead in a 6% antimony, 2% tn, 92% lead mix. He said it is favored by casters. That's all well and good...but the smallest ingot he has is 62 pounds!!! The LIST price on this, until the end of the month, when he expects a jump, $111.60 per ingot.

OUCH!

Well, I can't afford it right now, but is that the right alloy? I guess that much might fit in the garage, but what the heck do I do to cut it? I feel kinda foolish, knowing I have a 10 pound pot...but I am wondering what the experiance members here think.

ANeat
08-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Before you spend that much Im sure you could find someone local that could mix you up a good alloy for a lot less. If youre in Ohio I sure would. $2.00 a pound......WOW

armoredman
08-17-2007, 09:59 PM
I am in AZ, unfortunately. Thanks for the offer!

AZ Pete
08-17-2007, 10:04 PM
Use a "saws all" to cut the ingot. A coarse blade will do the job.

MT Gianni
08-17-2007, 10:26 PM
2-6-92 is the classic Tarracore alloy. It works well for hard handgun auto bullets. Many commercial casters prefer it as shipped bullets resist denting by carriers. Have you tried Bill Ferguson in Sierra Vista, AZ.? Look in a Handloader magazine for an address. His alloys were cheaper than that I believe, though metal is running high. Gianni.

blysmelter
08-18-2007, 03:34 AM
The seller is only asking the international trading price for lead, around 4$/kg.
Go find a scrapdealer and buy some WW, or check e-bay.

armoredman
08-18-2007, 12:06 PM
E-bay is on my no-deal-with list, but thank you. Didn't know there were casters in Norway, nice to know - I'm 3/4 Norwiegan.

Powderpacker
08-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Use a "saws all" to cut the ingot. A coarse blade will do the job.

If you would rather not have the lead 'saw dust' to deal with try this first . All of the lead alloy ingots I have dealt with have been long , sort of bar shaped . It's easy to score a cut line with a cold chisel and couple of smacks with a maul . Then just place the ingot on a fulcrum of some sort with the cut line aligned with the fulcrum, weight the longer end of the ingot (usually just stepping on it is enough) and give the other end of the ingot a good smack with the maul . The ingot will snap where the cut line was. No mess and it takes a lot less time to do than it took me to try to describe the procedure .

thebulletgirl
08-18-2007, 12:39 PM
I am also looking for the right lead supplier, but I am in Orlando, FL. We are going to start a small casting business and we want a supplier from whom we can buy large quantities for a price break. I have requested some quotes but haven't received any answers yet.
Also, what kind of alloy do I need?

OeldeWolf
08-18-2007, 12:57 PM
To cut large chunks of lead and alloys, I use a cold chisel and a drilling hammer. It can take me a while, as I only have a 10 pound pot, so I have to use fairly small chunks. The drilling hammer is basically a small, short handled version of the old sledge hammer.

Powderpacker
08-18-2007, 01:49 PM
The drilling hammer is basically a small, short handled version of the old sledge hammer.

That's what we call a "maul" in this part of the country. At least that's what the red-neck farm boys in this part of the country (that I spend most of my time with) call it .

Powderpacker
08-18-2007, 01:58 PM
I am also looking for the right lead supplier, but I am in Orlando, FL. We are going to start a small casting business and we want a supplier from whom we can buy large quantities for a price break. I have requested some quotes but haven't received any answers yet.
Also, what kind of alloy do I need?

Try -

http://metals.about.com/lead/Lead_Suppliers_guide.htm

P. S. Mayer Alloys in the Detroit area is a great supplier to deal with - they actually have cast bullet alloy! However, shipping to Fla. would probably be a killer. Wouldn't cost anything to contact them and ask if they can recommend a supplier in your area .

www.mayeralloys.com

ANeat
08-18-2007, 04:45 PM
I am in AZ, unfortunately. Thanks for the offer!

Armoredman if you dont need a whole lot I could help you out. I could mail you 50 or 100lbs . Much more and it gets to be a bit of a hassle. PM me if youre interested.

Adam

randyrat
08-18-2007, 10:30 PM
E-bay is on my no-deal-with list, but thank you. Didn't know there were casters in Norway, nice to know - I'm 3/4 Norwiegan.
I'm 100% Norwiegan WOW! your lucky you only have part of that stubornass in ya.
I didn't think there were even guns in Norway, i think you need permision to look at gun pictures. Sorry, i mean no disrespect, if you are from Norway, but you people need to make a political change.

garandsrus
08-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Powderpacker,

I live about 5 miles from Mayer Alloys and didn't know about them. I will stop by one of these days and check the place out!

Thanks,
John

Johnch
08-18-2007, 11:22 PM
I live a hour or so from Mayer Alloys
When I am a little $$ ahead
I might see about a trailer load of alloy

John

armoredman
08-19-2007, 12:24 AM
blysmelter gives his location as Norway - my family left Norway in 1824, though the ancestral hut still stands some miles north of Oslo. Never been there, I am 100% American. The famous Hakan Pek of CZ grip fame lives in Norway, though he may someday emigrate here. Norway has one of the highest rates of gun ownership in Europe, and one of the lowest crime rates, according to Prof Kates.
ANeat, thanks anyway, I do appreciate the offer. Maybe someday I can afford to get some.
Well, alloy what I have, use it up, and start saving...gotta see if the pawn shops have any sawzalls.

Namerifrats
08-19-2007, 12:24 AM

Ebay might be on your "No deal with list" but common sense will tell you that buying ingots made from wheels weights on there will come out WAAAAYYYYY cheaper than $112 for 62 lbs even after shipping. Plus, most of those fit fit in your pot as they are saving you more money from having to buy a saw to cut the ingots up. Personally, I think the whole boycott ebay and paypal are nonsense. There are enough other people out there that will continue to make ebay rich without a few thousand pissed off gun owners that refuse to use them. To me, everytime I use ebay or paypal to purchase something gun related, it just makes the fools with their BS policy's SUPPORT our cause. Just a way to stick it to the man! :castmine:

blysmelter
08-19-2007, 05:01 AM
We have som strict gun-regulation, but only two things i stotally no-no, full-auto and 50BMG. Appart from that, have your papers in order and one can buy whatever one wants as long as you can give a "need" for the gun. Rules vary a little from PD to PD, mine is known as one of the best-they are proffecional and serviceminded.

Bulletcasting isnt much done overe here anymore, people earn to much money and buy their bulets. Most indoor-ranges also bans lead-boolits, that doesnthelp on the interest.
But, shooting is actually the biggest organized sport in Norway, more than 10% of the population is a member in some sort of shooting society, and the national rifle matches is broadcasted live on national TV, this year almost 7000 shooters, age 12 to well above 80 participated.
Our neighbors in Sweeden is worse of, thats why you guys in US can pick up som really nice swedish guns, the only option to exporting is deactivation, a part of their heritage is beeing reduced to scrap. Sad times:-(

leftiye
08-19-2007, 11:48 AM
Name, It probably won't matter. The gun related stuff on eBay has about turned to $h!* in the last few days anyway. Seems they're being pretty well boycotted (works for me). I hardly bought anything else there since I stopped wasting money on watches there anyway.

45nut
08-19-2007, 12:38 PM
one can buy whatever one wants as long as you can give a "need" for the gun.

A lot of my prior buys were "just cuz", I'm guessing that isn't what they want to hear. Or, "It needed a good home, filthy heathens were touchin' it at the pawn shop"