PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Throat

JohnH
08-05-2005, 05:07 PM
I'm convinced that the throat on my 357 Maximum rifle is oversize. Yesterday I took some Lee 180's that Leftoverdj had sent me some time back andmiked them untill I had 20 that were .360 diameter. I loaded them so that the bullet is jammed against the lands when the action is closed. Same ol' same ol'. 5-7 shots in a very tight group....5/8" and the balance opening the overall group to 1 1/2" at 50 yards. No rhyme or reason to how the shots fall. All I know to do at this point is get some bigger bullets and give them a try see if it makes a difference. Any other way of testing this idea?

oso
08-05-2005, 05:28 PM
I like chamber casts myself. And I now prefer to use epoxy in a well waxed and plugged chamber, with a deprimmed cartridge.

Slowpoke
08-05-2005, 05:56 PM
I'm convinced that the throat on my 357 Maximum rifle is oversize. Yesterday I took some Lee 180's that Leftoverdj had sent me some time back andmiked them untill I had 20 that were .360 diameter. I loaded them so that the bullet is jammed against the lands when the action is closed. Same ol' same ol'. 5-7 shots in a very tight group....5/8" and the balance opening the overall group to 1 1/2" at 50 yards. No rhyme or reason to how the shots fall. All I know to do at this point is get some bigger bullets and give them a try see if it makes a difference. Any other way of testing this idea?

You mean to tell us you been wasting band width on this forum for the last umteen months telling us about all your trials and tribulations trying to get that rascal to shoot and you don't know the throat diameter .

I only have one thing to say. GO TO YOUR ROOM. :)

Bass Ackward
08-05-2005, 08:16 PM
I'm convinced that the throat on my 357 Maximum rifle is oversize.

All I know to do at this point is get some bigger bullets and give them a try see if it makes a difference. Any other way of testing this idea?

John,

You have one problem: fliers.

Your assumption is it's diameter related. It may .... or may not be. How do you know?

If I were in your shoes, I would set up a chronograph and see what happens to the velocity of the fliers. If the velocity of the fliers are all over the place, look to ignition and focus on steps to improve it. If the velocity of the fliers is higher, look to leading as what needs to be solved. If the velocity of the fliers is lower than the group average, look to over lubrication, which can be as simple as bullet hardness for the pressure range of the load. Are these absolutes? No. Just ways to narrow your focus.

To be successful shooting cast, you either need to be lucky, or develop a systematic plan or strategy and follow it until you solve the problem. Otherwise, we can guess you to death. :grin: