PDA

View Full Version : What will become of your stuff when you pass?

Jim
03-15-2013, 09:45 AM
Janet and I have been talking for months about what I want done with all my stuff when I leave this world. I think I've pretty much made up my mind.

I have a couple of firearms that will go to family. My most cherished, a 1930 something LeFever double 12, left to me by my great uncle, will go to my son to be passed down to my grandson, Micah. My son wants my .45-70 bolt rifle, so he'll get that. A Winchester model 670 in .30-06, a gift from my brother, will go to my great nephew, child of my niece and her husband.

Other than those specific choices, the rest will be sold at auction here in Floyd. One of my lodge brothers is an auctioneer and he has assured Janet and I he will get the best bids he can for Janet.

I've got a few firearms that should bring a few dollars, but all the handloading euipment and supplies, well, you get what you can, I guess.

We discussed the possibility of auctioning it all off here on the forum. The problem with that is Janet wouldn't have a clue how to identify most of it and the job of photographing, listing, selling and shipping would be more than she could handle.

In the mean time, we'll continue to enjoy what we've gathered and use it while we can. I can't take it with me and there's no sense in worrying about it. I thank the Lord for giving me what he has and only hope that someone else will enjoy it also.

41 mag fan
03-15-2013, 09:52 AM
Sheesh Jim....you make it sound like your time is close!!

Be rest assured, if something like that would happen, and she needed help, someone like myself would drive there and help her get it set up and sorted, and if to be sold on here, you can bet me and all the other members would drive up the going price, just because that who and what we do and are.
As in if it's worth $30, I could bet my bottom dollar someone would raise it to $40.

But all my guns and reloading stuff will be divided up evenly amongst my daughter and son. Unless my daughter really takes off on the reloading and my boy, like right now would rather chase skirts and scratch his as*, then the reloading will go to her. My wife will decide who gets what on that part.
Actually now that i think about it, I really need to get a will made up.

bayjoe
03-15-2013, 09:55 AM
Not a thought for me what little I have will be left to my wife. She can decide what goes to who.

jmort
03-15-2013, 10:01 AM
Then make sure you have a will/living trust if you have specific intention that probate will not honor if you are intestate.

kenyerian
03-15-2013, 10:07 AM
my grandkids already have what they want . The rest of the collection will be auctioned off.

rockrat
03-15-2013, 10:17 AM
It will all be sold, if you can do such a thing , at the time.

Freightman
03-15-2013, 10:19 AM
I already have given my kids and grand kids the guns they wanted and the others have already been spoken for, but I told my sons that they would be so old and beat up they couldn't use them anyhow as I intend to stick around till I am a problem to my kids. :D

gkainz
03-15-2013, 10:19 AM
Having gone thru this with parents on both sides of the family, I commend your efforts. Estate distribution brings out the absolute worst in people you would expect compassion and love from.

Edubya
03-15-2013, 10:27 AM
It's not necessarily a negative thought that we will pass, no one makes it past that one. I have considered this for some time now. I have no children, grandchildren and my wife has little to no interest in guns or boolits. I have a few friends that are interested and they have their own set-ups. I guess that I ought to just make make up all of the boolits that I can and then start selling off my equipment. I bought a few boxes of reloading stuff off of an 80+ year old man when I first started and still have some of the dies etc... that I've no use for. Where do I start?

EW

Jim
03-15-2013, 10:32 AM

"No man knows the hour..." I'm not plannin' on bailin' any time soon, but I do think there's wisdom in getting one's affairs in order. If plans are made and in place, Janet wouldn't be faced with that.

Be rest assured, if something like that would happen, and she needed help, someone like myself would drive there and help her get it set up and sorted, and if to be sold on here, you can bet me and all the other members would drive up the going price, just because that who and what we do and are. As in if it's worth $30, I could bet my bottom dollar someone would raise it to $40.

I appreciate the thought, especially for Janet's sake. I have to wonder, though, how long that would take and how long anybody could hang around to see it through. I think it would takes many days to sort, photograph, list, sell and ship. Nevermind the fuel and food costs, think of the motel fees for that length of time.

I wish it could be done here, but I think the logistics would make it virtually impossible.

opos
03-15-2013, 10:37 AM
This thread hits me right between the eyes...old guy with some health issues. My friends are all the same age or older and mostly in marginal health as well...My wife had no interest in guns other than the ability to handle a home defense sp101 ...she shoots about twice or 3 times a year and that's it. My kids are not gun people so no interest there. I have cataracts and find that some of the guns I have are really difficult to shoot so they are being sold off slowly. California has a law (another of our stupid rules) that a private party can't sell over 5 "transactions" per year (transaction can be multiple guns to one buyer and the same time)..I wrote our DOJ a while back and got approval to sell of my guns and not stick to the 5 transaction/year rule. So I'm just taking thing one at a time.. If there are guns left (I don't plan on selling the collectable ones) when my time comes they go to the local dealer I've dealt with for years...nice guy, trust him and he'll be as straight as anyone. I've got a trust and a will and a written and notarized letter that's really specific about things...fortunately my family is very tight and I'd not expect fighting or argument...we have all talked on a number of occasions with everyone present about how things should be handled...I think that's important...everyone knows what's there and what goes where. I've seen some really nasty fights in family situations and would hope to avoid that.

Not on the way out yet but realistic about being 75 and pretty busted up from a life of fun and frolic. Just trying to be prepared...not buying anything more at this time either.

alrighty
03-15-2013, 10:46 AM
Around my neck of the woods Guns and Ammo bring a premium price at auction.The reloading and casting items on the other hand go cheap.Another option would be to itemize your belonging's in a log book and write their value down.Of course lets hope you get to update the prices a few more times!

TheGrimReaper
03-15-2013, 10:48 AM
Well, my money-Nieces
guns, ammo, accessories, lead, and reloading-Nephew.

OutHuntn84
03-15-2013, 10:54 AM
I met a widow once that was selling her late husband's guns. He had went through all his guns and equipment years ago and labled and priced everything. Over time she began selling some of it off a piece at a time. When I had the pleasure of meeting her she told me how her husband always loved to haggle prices on guns and stuff and it made her feel close to him again getting to do it a bit selling his collection. It was heart warming to see in my opinion. I even stuck around for a bit giving her more current prices of a few things.

Trey45
03-15-2013, 10:57 AM
I'm taking it all with me, I'm going to be buried in my rifle safe.

popper
03-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Interesting question with all the rules being proposed at this time (gun control). Other than the will and codicils, is there another document that can be used? I heard mention of a contract type that is supposed to be a legal property transfer but I don't remember what it is called.

felix
03-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Revocable trust, having every participant named in the order of command and control. ... felix

Baja_Traveler
03-15-2013, 11:20 AM
I'm only 50 and in good health - but none-the-less, I have a paper pined inside the safe listing everything and what it is worth (realistic ball park) for the wife.

Never know, I could get hit by a bus this afternoon...

Olevern
03-15-2013, 11:34 AM
I purchased my hunting buddies reloading supplies/equipment from his widow a number of years ago, paid her $200.00 more than the LGS offered and considered it a fair price for both of us. The guns I separated from the scopes (most of his scopes were Leupold) and found a dealer who would lower his normal consignment fee from 20% to 10%, mostly because of the relationship I had built over 20 years dealing with him and, as each gun was sold, picked up the cash and delivered it to the widow. My wife and my friends widow are still close friends, and I go over with my wife from time to time and take care of minor home repairs for her; the other day I extracted the base of a lightbulb from her porch fixture that had remained behind when she tried to replace the lightbulb and replaced the bulb, fixed her computer, mounted an outdoor thermometer she had purchased and programed her new t.v. to the cable remote.

I believe that had Garrett lived and I died, he would have done the same for my wife, besides, it's just the right thing to do.

Jim, should you pre-decease me, I would be proud to help Janet dispose of your stuff in such a matter as to realize a fair price.

However, a crusty old curmudgeon such as yourself is more likely to be helping my wife dispose of all my stuff, rather than the other way 'round.

DIRT Farmer
03-15-2013, 11:44 AM
I like the thought Jim, To those who think that their time is not near, well I worked a case that involved a close up view of a simi bumper at road speed this week. Nuff said.
I am helping with my uncle who is end stage cancer, several bench rest guns, not many family members want a 40 lb bench gun in a wildcat caliber. Some guns will be handed out, some will go on one of the gun auctions with a reserve. Did I mention that there is a quanity of powder and primers and only two nephews who reload.

My own will be in the care of my oldest son with a few having tags stating who they belong to.

waksupi
03-15-2013, 11:44 AM
Firearm and buckskinner stuff to my brothers, my art collection to my sister. An allotted amount to each of them, and my executor. 50% of the estate goes to the Shriner's Hospitals.

Larry Gibson
03-15-2013, 11:53 AM
My plan is to wear a lot of them out before my "time" comes. Some of them I just play with for a while and trade them off for something else any way. However, I have left instructions in my will on who is to get the firearms that mean something to me. I also have left instructions on who is to get most of the the reloading/casting equipment. That takes care of about 1/4 of the fireamrms I have and most of the gear. The others I've put down what they are reasonably worth (updated periodically) and any family member who is eligeable can purchase them from the estate or they can be sold with the money going into the estate. I have already begun (not that I plan on going soon) giving some to some family members already as "family heirlooms". I also plan on giving those to chosen family while I am still able to before "the day" comes. I'd prefer to actually enjoy seeing them get the firearms while I can enjoy knowing they are passed on to those who will care for and appreciate them.

Larry Gibson

Char-Gar
03-15-2013, 11:58 AM
I have a will leaving everything to my wife. I have already given many guns to my kids and have a dozen or so more they will get that I am still using. I have a list of these and my wife will see they get them. I have told her who to go to have the guns sold on consignment. There will be dozens more for her to sell and enjoy the profit. I have no plans for the stuff in my gun shop. I guess my son will come and get it, keeping what he wants and selling the rest.

popper
03-15-2013, 01:01 PM
Felix - no this isn't a trust. It allows (court approved) legal transfer even in the event of incapacitation or other events, but is not a sale or gift. Got to go back to ar15.com and take notes.

gkainz
03-15-2013, 01:32 PM
reminds me of a joke I heard

"When I die, I hope my wife sells my guns for what they're really worth, not what I told her I paid for them!" :)

Swamp Man
03-15-2013, 01:44 PM
reminds me of a joke I heard

"When I die, I hope my wife sells my guns for what their worth, not what I told her I paid for them!" :)
Same here. I have that same hope with my guns,fishing gear and tools. If I had half of what I've spent on those items I'd be stinking rich.

Echo
03-15-2013, 01:45 PM
I only have a son left - wife and 2 other kids have gone to a higher plane. But Jim shoots, and reloads, and builds, so he gets everything. But I will try to get rid of some excess stuff -I'm sure he neither wants or needs 120 boolit molds, so I will divest (starting soon) of molds that I seldom use. I have 3 grand-daughters, and most of my estate will actually go into an education trust Jim has set up for the family (he pays more income tax than I make) and college &cetera will be taken care of.

Lead Fred
03-15-2013, 01:51 PM
My Grandson gets my flintlock, the rest will be sold so my wife can go home, and live out the rest of her life with her family.
With prices the way they are today, She will make a killing

Blacksmith
03-15-2013, 01:55 PM
With one son and two grandsons all who like to shoot they will go to him and then them. To make things easier when it comes time for the grandsons to divide things, for the common stuff I am trying to accumulate two of each. I have one for me and have been giving presents of duplicates to my son for his use. When I go he will have two of most things and two sons to take care of, what he does about his grandsons will be his problem when he gets some.

square butte
03-15-2013, 02:17 PM
Workin on the same stuff around here too - Especially since my Mom just passed . Kinda gets you thinkin along these lines. We are investigating something called a Gun Trust which is kind of like a regular trust (either revocable or irrevocable) which specifically deals with passing on of guns. Trust owns the guns - Named Successor Trustees take control of the trust owned guns untill the next successor trustees turn - in purpetuity - unless you decide otherwise. Thus avoiding transfer and background checks - supposedly - Baring government sponored shenanigans. Fairly new kind of trust to the legal world. We don't have all of the particulars or opinions yet.

rhadamanthos12
03-15-2013, 02:19 PM
I would hope that my daughters will want it, they are still very young (3 & 2). I hope that I get the chance to build a lifetime of memories with the stuff I have. If for some reason that doesn't happen I hope my wife (there mother) will pass it down to them when they are old enough to understand my hobbies and life.

felix
03-15-2013, 02:29 PM
Popper, a trust has no transfers per se. It is the owner of all items listed. Therefore, no finger prints, no nothin'. ... felix

popper
03-15-2013, 04:19 PM
Looked it up, NFA trust.
"Title: Background Checks for Principal Officers of Corporations, Trusts, and Other Legal Entities With Respect to the Making or Transferring of a National Firearms Act Firearm
Abstract: The Department of Justice is proposing to amend the regulations of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) regarding the making or transferring of a firearm under the National Firearms Act. The proposed regulations would (1) add a definition for the term "responsible person"; (2) require each responsible person of a corporation, trust or legal entity to complete a specified form, and to submit photographs and fingerprints; (3) require that a copy of all applications to make or transfer a firearm be forwarded to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) of the locality in which the maker or transferee is located; and (4) eliminate the requirement for a certification signed by the CLEO. "
Looks like the batf already has this ready to close. My concern is to prevent my heirs from having an 'unregistered' gun, i.e. traceability to a legal purchase. A possible problem may be if one of the trustees or beneficiaries gets into trouble, batf could possible confiscate all in the trust. Sounds like the way to go but carefully.

Harter66
03-15-2013, 04:33 PM
Well, I've 4 kids that all hunted and loaded til they left home. Now it seems its just the girls that have a continuing interest. My current assembly is well settled as to whom and what. There're 2 rifles shotgun and a pistol planned for each. Each of them know who's is who's. IE the youngest boy gets the GI set while the youngest girl gets the MLs and CBs the oldest girl has a Savage/Stevens and the oldest boy gets the true heirlooms. Until my Dad passes anyway then they will have double sets and/or full sets for 5 granddaughters.

The loading gear will mostly work out being only short of die sets to feed each set due to cartridge duplicatioit is doubtful they would sell any of it. On the other hand I've 27 yrs on my Dad but only 19-23 on the kids so I might out live them.

GOPHER SLAYER
03-15-2013, 04:56 PM
I have seen it so many times before. A man dies and leaves a large collection of guns and reloading gear. The kids decind on the place and proceed to grab and scramble everything in sight, loosing parts and generally screwing up the works. Then they scoop up whats left and rush down to the pawn shop or gunshop and ask, what will you give us for this stuff? Somtimes they put it in on consignment. Either way they loose. I have been shooting with various groups and gun clubs since the late 1950s so I have witnessed the worst in kids behavier. I knew one man who passed away and left house and garage full of guns. The widow told me that when the daughter came in to pick out what she wanted she just starting grabbing rifles without any knowledge of value. The women gave me the run of the place and I was able to sell many guns for her. She did have a close friend who was very knowlegeable about guns but his prices were stuck in the past. I finally ran out of friends who wanted to buy guns and I had long since run out of money. I had to pass on some great pieces. I will give you only one. A Marlin Ballard reworked by Axel Peterson. It had a beautiful perchbelly stock and the original Ballard long range sight. Asking price 75 dollars and I was flat broke. The lady held it for me for a while and one day I had to say I pass. A man was standing there next to har and he grabbed the rifle with both hands. Sell the guns while you can handle it. I have one son and he cares very little for guns or shooting. He did a twelve year stretch in the Marines wearing a sidearm but it didn't stick. I think the only time he fired it was when he had to qualify. I took him to the range when he was a boy but the only thing he wanted to do was run as much 22lr ammo thru his Ruger 10-22 as fast as he could. We have two daughters but thay don't care about them either. I guess it is something you are born with. I have rambled on long enough.

Harter66
03-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Works out. I'm only waiting for them to pick them up,they were transferred years ago.

Reverend Al
03-15-2013, 05:00 PM
Funny, the wife and I were just talking about this topic yesterday when a shooting friend was over here at our place for coffee. I have a fairly substantial collection of "stuff" that includes 100+ guns, large quantities of reloading equipment and related components, some historical artifacts and old collectibles, and of course she has NO idea of their market values (thank goodness!). Since I just turned 60 years old last month I'll now begin writing some very specific notes about where I would like all of this stuff to go in case I am run over by a bus tomorrow! Some of my favorite guns and sentimental value items will be gifted to relatives, good friends and a couple of my local gun clubs, with the balance going to my wife of course. I'm going to start making a list of everything I have and their values as I start to do an inventory (a hugely scary thought just in itself!) and I will leave a printed copy of my instructions tucked away in one of my gun safes ...

41 mag fan
03-15-2013, 06:08 PM

"No man knows the hour..." I'm not plannin' on bailin' any time soon, but I do think there's wisdom in getting one's affairs in order. If plans are made and in place, Janet wouldn't be faced with that.

Be rest assured, if something like that would happen, and she needed help, someone like myself would drive there and help her get it set up and sorted, and if to be sold on here, you can bet me and all the other members would drive up the going price, just because that who and what we do and are. As in if it's worth $30, I could bet my bottom dollar someone would raise it to $40.

I appreciate the thought, especially for Janet's sake. I have to wonder, though, how long that would take and how long anybody could hang around to see it through. I think it would takes many days to sort, photograph, list, sell and ship. Nevermind the fuel and food costs, think of the motel fees for that length of time.

I wish it could be done here, but I think the logistics would make it virtually impossible.

Well you got me and Vern now that says if that something like this should happen, we'd drive over to Floyd. Motel fees ect, are the least things to think of. It's only money anyways, and money is of a lower value, than doing something like helping see to a friends stuff that his wife really doesn't know whats what on.

shooter93
03-15-2013, 06:20 PM
I've just always figured (even more so lately considering the political climate) that my guns would end up in an evidence room somewhere. Should a miracle prevent that everything goes to my good friend and Gunmaker who built most of them and probably the only person I know who would cherish them.

DLCTEX
03-15-2013, 06:57 PM
My wife, 5 son and their families will divide it.

MT Gianni
03-15-2013, 07:16 PM
Guns will go to son, daughter, grandkids and nephews that shoot. My wife will post molds and most of the equipment here, lead and supplies will be sold ftf after ads on this board.She has been instructed on who to get with re pricing, as well as knowing some folks from the NCBS. Brother & son might get to pick through them first.

shooterg
03-15-2013, 07:30 PM
Friend with a large collection and 3 sons made it simple on the guns. Oldest picked first, middle next, youngest last - one gun at a time until they were gone.

Me, only one daughter, and one grandson. He gets it all, guns, 80 acres, house, any money left !

Blanket
03-15-2013, 07:43 PM
Works out. I'm only waiting for them to pick them up,they were transferred years ago. This, I am shooting borrowed guns that belong to my daughters...Have a couple of trusted and savvy friends to manage the rest of the stuff to sell for the family. Russ

gandydancer
03-15-2013, 07:54 PM
I have been selling what I don't use much. my sons don't reload my wife does not shoot. I will keep just the bare items over the next few months most of it will be gone. GD

Hamish
03-15-2013, 08:12 PM
Having just gone through this a couple of weeks ago with my father in law's stuff, this has been on my mind also.

I personally think that the most important thing I can do with each of the guns I will hand down, is to include the most accurate mould, boolits, and reloading data with them. Hopefully I will be around long enough to teach my grandsons casting and reloading, but as Jim has said, "no man know's the appointed hour,".

SciFiJim
03-15-2013, 08:27 PM
One of the things that I have discussed with my wife is to have her destroy any casting equipment that was previously a food service item (muffin pans, spoons, etc). That way it won't wind up being used for food service again. A friend that lives down the street is a bench rest shooter and has agreed to help her with the firearms and equipment if/when the need arises.

waksupi
03-15-2013, 08:28 PM
I'll tell you all something. Don't just think about it. Get it all down on paper, lawyer reviewed, and notarized. Just because you tell someone they can have something when you are gone, doesn't mean the state will see it that way. I know several families who have lost their ranches and homes, just because they didn't think they had to have any legal paperwork. Is your spouses name on the property, or just yours? Fix that, or if you die, she is SOL. The taxes, lawyers, and courts will eat up the property if their name isn't on it. You may leave them essentially homeless and destitute.

Rafe Covington
03-15-2013, 08:59 PM
Leaving everything I own [except 2 revolvers to 2 brothers] to my best friend, my family doesn't deserve anything after the way they acted when the wife passed. Enuff said

Rafe

Charlie Two Tracks
03-15-2013, 09:09 PM
Just talked to a guy at the 40&8 meeting last night. One of his friends passed away and he was selling some of the powder to another of the guys. He said there was about 100 cans of powder left. Advertise that auction and there should be a fair amount of people around.

DoubleAdobe
03-15-2013, 11:22 PM
Waksupi
It isn't just the state that deals underhanded in these situations.
The pushy, loudmouthed relatives often have their way in these things, because they are willing to be obnoxious in times of strife, and they have been plotting on what the spoils are going to be. So, you are absolutely right, write it down and not just in your desk drawer.

Ed Barrett
03-16-2013, 01:24 AM
I have two sons, I told them when I leave this earth, their mother wants 2 pistols. The other guns will be put in two groups by one of them and the other one gets first pick on which group he wants. I heard Indians used this method to divide things.

lars1367
03-16-2013, 02:13 AM
Jim, should you or your family need help when the time comes, I am just a few hours drive away in Norfolk.
-Corey

texasnative46
03-16-2013, 02:31 AM
My daughter gets my bank account, household goods, my pistols & antique mercedes 300SDL.

My niece & nephew gets the rest of my guns, to spilt equally.

My oil royalty check goes to my boarding school, in memory of my late father.

Arlington National Cemetery gets my ashes.

yours, satx

blackthorn
03-16-2013, 11:42 AM
Rafe---If you want to cut your family out of your will, I highly recomend you seek legal advice on doing so the legal way. I have seen family members successfully contest written wills that left them nothing.

When we retired we joined a memorial society (less than $20 for both). This cuts the final cost of disposal by way more than half! Next we went to the local funeral home and pre-paid to have the remains picked up, cremated, and boxed for pick up by the family. There will be enough $$ for a memorial service if the family wants one. No muss or fuss for the kids to deal with in a time of grief. Our ashes will be scattered together in a spot we both love. Cemetaries are the biggest waste of prime realestate (next to the seat of government buildings)!

smokemjoe
03-16-2013, 11:54 AM
When I found out I had cancer and only a few months to go I got on here and sold a 50 + years of casting and loading tools, THe 1st night sold 7 lub& sizers and pile of molds,I wanted you guys here to have my stuff instead of a poucher at a gun show table, I am about cancer free with one more lung to take out. dont missed everthing but can still cast, load and shoot, When you have something in your hands that means alot and then think I cant have it for long and your wife dont know nothing why I let it go, I never got rid of my CBE or some other custom mold. Hope you all enjoy my stuff. Thanks fellows

imsoooted
03-16-2013, 12:44 PM
i saw a tight knit family self-destruct a year ago when the parents (80 yrs old +) were in an auyo accident. Walt was killed while Dottie survived with a brain injury. the daughters and their husbands raped and pillaged Walts extensive gun collection, carrying them from the safes to their cars by the armload.if that wasnt hard enough to watch, the next day the one decent daughter told me the guns were at gander mountain for appraisal and sale. after 2 days of watching this go on, i finally had to go over there and see if any shred of decency was left in those girls. the place was torn apart, and an auctioneer was giving dates to get rid of the rest. i bought a pair of 1100 20 guage shotguns that Walt had bought for himself and a son who had passed away some years earlier, after telling the one daughter i would pay $100 more than GM. the only other thing i managed to get(out of the garbage) was a frame full of Senior Olympic trap shooting medals. RIP Walter, i'm glad you didnt see it

shdwlkr
03-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Everything that was mine is in a trust that those named can have access to when I am gone. I don't think many of my kids give a dang bit about anything I have as most don't care about me now when I am alive so I have a brother and his kids like my stuff so it all goes to him everything with the understanding if he can't use it or doesn't want it to sell it and have a good dinner on me with his family.
When I am dead I can no longer enjoy my firearms and the memories that are a part of them so I thought this the best way to handle the issue.
Being alone and if you read the odds mine are for a much shorter life than someone who is married or has a companion. I have neither and expect it to remain that way for the time I have left on this earth. No real reason just things don't always work out the way we hope they would. We need to always be looking and planning for that long dirt nap we will all take one day for one reason or another.

TXGunNut
03-16-2013, 01:07 PM
I'm presently the executor of my dad's rather complicated estate and can tell you that the process of distributing assets can bring out the worst in folks, even family. The will is quite clear but I can't rule out a squabble or a suit when I finally get to distribute assets next year.
When I'm gone I hope there's just a pile of worn out guns worth little more than the safes that contain them along with some well used moulds, dies and other tools. I'm single, no kids and my nieces and their husbands have little interest in guns, let alone reloading. My brother and sister will likely outlive me, guess I better get a will together so they can do what I want, not what the probate court decides.

FISH4BUGS
03-16-2013, 01:22 PM
I have real issues with my estate when the time comes. As an owner of legally registered machine guns, SBR'sw, AOW's and supressors, they can't go to my son because he is a prohibited person. He got into some trouble when he was younger, and that prevents him from owning guns. He got his life together and cleaned up his act, but his earlier transgressions followed him. My daughter isn't really much interested in the full auto and other stuff, so they may well be sold at auction. The other collector's guns and shooters will be sold at auction.
The Hensley & Gibbs collection, along with Lyman and RCBS moulds, will probably be sold here. I have a list of all moulds with descriptions and what they are worth as of about a year ago.
The reloading stuff will probably be sold here also. I'd like my GF to take the money and help pay off the house we bought together a few years ago. The kids will be taken care of by life insurance so they don't have to worry about getting left behind. They are 32 and 27 anyway, so they are adults.
Man, this is a depressing thought.............but what the heck....I won't be here so who cares?

GOPHER SLAYER
03-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Maybe Errol Flynn had the right idea. He said, the last check you write before you die should be to the undertaker, and it should bounce.

Iowa Fox
03-16-2013, 01:49 PM
I told the boys don't sell a single thing. Split it up between them, use and enjoy the heck out of the stuff. Maybe think about the old man a little while they are using it. I'm not making any lists or who gets what so its going to be up to them to split it up.

Linstrum
03-16-2013, 01:56 PM
There is no law that says only relatives can be in someone's will. I have met people who disinherited all their relatives because they were all a bunch of dirtbags.
I have no immediate family or other close relatives I am aware of. Because of that, when I made my will I picked and chose from amongst my friends who is going to get what. Unlike relatives, I CHOSE my friends and I chose them carefully, so I know my stuff will be appreciated and used instead of going to some pawnshop for 5 cents on the dollar or some stupid gun buy-back program in exchange for concert tickets to support some liberal anti-RTKABA performer. Unfortunately I can't control what happens to my firearms stuff after my friends die, that's up to them.

rl 1,180

LUBEDUDE
03-16-2013, 02:16 PM
I have 2 adult girls not interested in reloading. I hope they put my equipment on ebay and easily make huge bucks rather than get skinned by some smooth talker at a garage sale.
And this is not all of it.

GL49
03-16-2013, 02:17 PM
On birthdays and Christmas, each of my boys gets a firearm, I'm just using them until I can't use them anymore. The list is in the cabinet. I've got to figure a way to last at least 10 more years, not counting how much more I buy. Each of them knows which one owns which gun. The reloading equipment and supplies will be split so the components and casting equipment stay with the particular gun. My wife would just sell it all to get the cash, she doesn't place any value on any of it. Now for the unimportant stuff like the house, the IRA's, the cash, who cares? My wife will keep it, my boys will eventually get it anyway.

dudits
03-16-2013, 03:56 PM
at the age of 34 i think of this on occasion. my fiance has been learning what stuff is worth and such.
however i know she would keep it all and use frequently :)
if by some freak accident we both went my mother would know what to do with them. she is a gun nut owns well over 100.
my brother is also a gun nut and i have already told him by conversation what he gets.

i have a .45 that will be buried with me "serious about that"

to those who think they are young and need to think about it,
i have lost many friends in my 34 years due to things such as
cancer "both long and short version"
car accidents
annurism "spelling"
shot in robbery
it can and does happen, does not hurt to be prepared

Blacksmith
03-16-2013, 04:58 PM
i have a .45 that will be buried with me "serious about that"

I hope you left instructions to pack it in cosmoline and seal it up with a case of ammo. Some archaeologist will be very grateful in a few thousand years.

starbits
03-16-2013, 04:58 PM
My best friend just bought a kimber .223 from a recent widow. He said her husband had had a pretty nice collection. She didn't know what anything was worth and sold all his reloading equipment for pennies on the dollar before my friend and another guy came along and helped her put more reasonable prices on things. My wife doesn't know what anything is worth either, but she has a list of where to go to get various things sold without getting ripped off.

Starbits

alamogunr
03-16-2013, 06:48 PM
I just read the entire thread. Some of the posts make me sad as they describe the deplorable behavior of family.

My wife and I each have a will that leaves everything to each other. Contingent to that, our 2 sons inherit equally. I have no doubt that there will be no squabbling over guns or other stuff. The younger son is a college professor with an interest in history so he will get the milsurps with no argument from the older. The older son is a pharmacist and really has no interest in older firearms. They might split the reloading and casting stuff but if they are not interested in that, I have no problem with selling it for whatever they can get.

One thing I picked up from this conversation is that it might be an advantage to start giving away some of the guns. The older son has a friend whose father had over 100 guns when he passed away. The son went to his house and with his mother's blessing, took them all to a secure place to be cataloged and priced after deciding what he wanted to keep. Sounded like a good plan.

bear67
03-16-2013, 07:22 PM
I am fortunate to have a wife, son, 2 daughters, and one son in law who are shooters and realize the value of what I have. The wife gets it all, but the will establishes executorship by my children from oldest and decending when we are both gone. It also states that there are lists of guns, tools and collectable engines/tractors and which ones go to a specific child or grandchild. I have given all the children and grandchildren guns and have specific guns listed in the safe with the will and powers of trust as to who gets what and what can be divided or sold for cash. My wife understands that other than specific bequests, she can sell or keep at her desires. I hope I have enough investments to support her along with retirement income for a long long time. The boys will know what values are and take care of it. The reloading equipment will stay together at one of their houses and be used by all as they are now. One son has shotgun loaders and a son in law has a press and loads rifle ammo, but they all use the progressives at Papa's.

One additional thing I have added is my story book in the gun safe. I have seen guns sold by families that were extra special to someone in the family if they had known the value placed by the original owner. I wrote a story to go along with each firearm about when, where, who and how I acquired them, including those from a special uncle, my father and friends who started me shooting, reloading, and casting. These are the guns that go to a specific child or grandchild.

For example I have a Remington semi-auto .22 that was given to me by my Fathers oldest uncle who I am named after. I was 5 months old when I was given this piece. Dad would not let me start hunting and shooting with this, but insisted I use a single shot .22 in the family. We lived on a farm and at 11 he decided I could carry my semi-auto--I had showed myself responsible enough for the task. There are stories to go with each specific bequest.

Good Lord willing, we both have many years to go, but I am sure that what I collected and used over all these years will be placed in the right hands and well used and maybe even enjoyed as I enjoyed them.

Remember the 7 P's--Proper Prior Planning Prevents P**s Poor Performance

JWFilips
03-16-2013, 07:43 PM
Figure I'll just take it all with me....... Just have to pay extra for a really big hole! ;-)

00buck
03-16-2013, 08:10 PM
My wife would kill me if I died and left all this stuff for her to sort out... :D oh yeah

375supermag
03-16-2013, 08:57 PM
I don't see how any of this will be an issue.

My wife has no interest in firearms, my daughters have very limited interest in firearms.

My son already thinks all my guns and reloading equipment belong to him.
He's probably right...I'm just loading ammo for him and buying new guns for him to shoot.

wills
03-16-2013, 09:25 PM
Do you have a will?

wills
03-16-2013, 09:27 PM
One of the things that I have discussed with my wife is to have her destroy any casting equipment that was previously a food service item (muffin pans, spoons, etc). That way it won't wind up being used for food service again. A friend that lives down the street is a bench rest shooter and has agreed to help her with the firearms and equipment if/when the need arises.

Why waste it, leave it to another caster.

wills
03-16-2013, 09:45 PM
I'm only 50 and in good health - but none-the-less, I have a paper pined inside the safe listing everything and what it is worth (realistic ball park) for the wife.

Never know, I could get hit by a bus this afternoon...

What does the law of intestate succession in your jurisdiction say?

wills
03-16-2013, 09:55 PM
Looked it up, NFA trust.
"Title: Background Checks for Principal Officers of Corporations, Trusts, and Other Legal Entities With Respect to the Making or Transferring of a National Firearms Act Firearm
Abstract: The Department of Justice is proposing to amend the regulations of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) regarding the making or transferring of a firearm under the National Firearms Act. The proposed regulations would (1) add a definition for the term "responsible person"; (2) require each responsible person of a corporation, trust or legal entity to complete a specified form, and to submit photographs and fingerprints; (3) require that a copy of all applications to make or transfer a firearm be forwarded to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) of the locality in which the maker or transferee is located; and (4) eliminate the requirement for a certification signed by the CLEO. "
Looks like the batf already has this ready to close. My concern is to prevent my heirs from having an 'unregistered' gun, i.e. traceability to a legal purchase. A possible problem may be if one of the trustees or beneficiaries gets into trouble, batf could possible confiscate all in the trust. Sounds like the way to go but carefully.

This guy does them.
http://www.texasnfatrust.com

There is an online CLE I might take that includes a gun trust. I understand there are a few special considerations.

wills
03-16-2013, 09:57 PM
I'll tell you all something. Don't just think about it. Get it all down on paper, lawyer reviewed, and notarized. Just because you tell someone they can have something when you are gone, doesn't mean the state will see it that way. I know several families who have lost their ranches and homes, just because they didn't think they had to have any legal paperwork. Is your spouses name on the property, or just yours? Fix that, or if you die, she is SOL. The taxes, lawyers, and courts will eat up the property if their name isn't on it. You may leave them essentially homeless and destitute.

Yep, telling someone he can have your stuff when you die, isn't worth the paper it is written on.

square butte
03-17-2013, 07:51 AM
If I new I was going and my wife did not want or need it -and had enough time - I would give every last bit of it to friends.

popper
03-17-2013, 03:19 PM
Be wary of bankers and lawyers in estate dealings. Make sure your will or trust docs are in the hands of a competent administrator, now. Many a grieving spouse has been taken to the cleaners. In Texas, only wills & community property get probated. Don't even mention a trust or pension.

waksupi
03-17-2013, 03:35 PM
I make sure my executor and the secondary have copies of mine in their safe deposit boxes.

BD
03-17-2013, 07:19 PM
A while back my wife and I decided to put our daughter's name on the deed to our house and property. Then a few years later, we decided to gift her our interest in the house and property and remove our names from the deed, with a "Life Estate" clause. No property will change hands at my death. It's already hers. Whatever I own, excepting motor vehicles, I use with her permission until I die.
BD

lightman
03-17-2013, 07:29 PM
Wow, I've read this whole thread, and seen some good ideas, and some sad stuff. My wife and I both have a will, and know and agree with what they both say. The property, money, jewelry and guns are dealt with. Probably should think of the other stuff. My brother and I and both of my sons get along well and have been thru a few deaths in the family with no issues. Am not expecting any trouble when I go, but thanks to this thread, will up-date the will soon. My brother and I inherited both our Grandfathers guns and our Fathers guns and both wills said to take turns choosing, using a coin toss to see who goes first. Thats how mine is written too! Lightman,

JeffinNZ
03-18-2013, 04:53 AM
I'll just take it all with me and save the fights and arguing...... ;-)

10x
03-18-2013, 08:14 AM
I have a will that directs the executor to dispose of my stuff as per the terms of the will. The executor is financially liable (to the limit of the value of assets and residues in my estate) for any debt I have at the end of my life. 1) my debts get settled. 2) the executor is going to be faced with disposing of a whole bunch of stuff that would take a life time to explain the value and use of. In Canada if the executor disposes of anything of value in manner other than the terms of the will, the executor is financially liable for the value and can face legal action from the heirs.
Specific items go to specific children. I have started an inventory of my cherished stuff, or family heir looms and have placed labels on things that I want to stay in the family.

Most of my stuff, my kids will have to figure out what it is and deal with it.

wills
03-18-2013, 01:04 PM
A while back my wife and I decided to put our daughter's name on the deed to our house and property. Then a few years later, we decided to gift her our interest in the house and property and remove our names from the deed, with a "Life Estate" clause. No property will change hands at my death. It's already hers. Whatever I own, excepting motor vehicles, I use with her permission until I die.
BD

The property is yours. You have a life estate. She has a remainder. Your life estate and her remainder will merge into a fee simple upon your death.

s1120
03-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Well Ive lost two perents in the last 4 years so I know this well. Dad left all the gun stuff to me, and one of my step brouthers. All pistols were to me, but I am holding a remington rand 1911 for my Step bro when he gets his permit. He realy liked it, and he grew up with dad, so I think he deserves it. I got the Lyman truline press, and dies, and all the 38-357 stuff, and he got the rest or sold. Personly I would not ever sell Dads guns. One he gave me when he was alive Ill keep with me forever, and the other will get passed on to famley as long as there are any that want them. If no famley does, the wife can sell them and keep the money. Right now the kids are too young, and my neice and nephues have no intrest...so who knows. Im only in my late 40's so I hope I have many more to go!!

jlm223
03-18-2013, 06:07 PM
I guess my wife will have one heck of a yard sale.

firefly1957
03-18-2013, 06:49 PM
last year i mentioned to my wife that if i died i would like it all to go to my son in law and son but my wife has another idea she wants it all sold only option now is to out live her!

Love Life
03-18-2013, 06:55 PM
A trust. If that doesn't work because of new gunlaws I am going to hire a welder to weld all of my guns together in the shape of a giant hand flipping a bird at the world.

fatelk
03-18-2013, 09:14 PM
It is sad to see how some people react when it comes to money and inheritance. I've seen the best and worst of it.

A friend of mine told me a story a couple years ago. I think I might have related it here already but don't remember, so I apologize if I have.

Some 4+ decades ago his wife's father passed away suddenly. My friend got along with his father-in-law very well. He had told him that he would inherit all his guns someday and it was in his will. The only other heirs were his step-children who were already grown when he remarried, so they really had no claim to anything.

The father-in-law passed away unexpectedly, and after the funeral the extended family was back at the house going through the will. One of the step-brothers came up to Chuck, and all apologetic-like tells him "I'm so sorry, it looks like you and your wife have been taken out of the will."

He showed him the will, and the part where all the guns were to go to him was scratched out in pencil! He said he and his wife knew they had been had, but were young and stupid and didn't know what to do so they just left. The step-mother and her clan stole everything.

Fast forward 40 years. He got a phone call out of the blue one day, from one of the step brothers, who lived several hours away (hadn't seen him in 40 years). This guy was going to be in the area and wanted to meet with him. They met for lunch and the guy was all apologetic, told him he had felt guilty for 40 years and wanted to try to make things right, and gave him back his share of the guns he had taken.

Funny what greed does to people.

I plan on giving away a bunch of stuff to the people I care about (who may or may not be relatives), and hope to downsize when I get to a certain point in life. If I'm gone before that point my wife or kids will have a big garage sale or something.

I guess I won't care when I'm gone (it's just stuff, you know), but I don't intend on leaving anything to those who won't appreciate it.

DeanWinchester
03-18-2013, 09:35 PM
I got no kids, no family I care to see again other than my wife, my wife's health is such that unless I die in a freak accident I'll outlive her. My friends are few and they either don't shoot or have more than me.

I'm happy and content and genuinely do not care. I'll say this, if the right person follows all the clues on the treasure map, they'll be happy for all the labor I've put in over the years.

Holescreek
03-18-2013, 10:20 PM
My wife and I discuss this way more than normal people should and still don't have an answer. My two boys have no interest whatsoever in all the "junk" we've amassed which include a full machine shop, guns, antiques and family heirlooms that should stay in the family. Hopefully we get another 30 years to think about it but it's unlikely. It's hard to imagine everything ending up at an auction and knowing the boys (now adults) will have completely spent the proceeds within a month of receiving it and won't remember what they spent it on. Every now and again I think we should sell it all ourselves, move away and vacation until the well runs dry.

fatelk
03-19-2013, 12:53 AM
Every now and again I think we should sell it all ourselves, move away and vacation until the well runs dry.

Why not? My folks have been talking the last couple years about how to structure their inheritance amongst myself and my siblings, and it is considerable. I told my mom that while I'd never turn anything down and would be a bit hurt if they gave it all to a TV preacher or something, they really don't owe me anything. I have no right or claim to get what they've worked their lives to accumulate. I said I would love to see them sell some land and travel or do something else they enjoy. Spend some money, don't save it all for us! I hope to be financially OK when that time comes anyhow.

My grandfather scrimped and saved like a miser for the better part of his nine and a half decades, and was worth at least 7 figures when he passed. He farmed during the depression, and even half a century later just had to pinch those pennies tight and go without whenever possible. When his heirs, my aunts and uncles who were all plenty well off, got his money, they just spent it on a nice vacation. He would be spinning in his grave if he knew his hard earned money was spent on fancy hotels and drinks on the beach in Hawaii.

One of my wife's friends, an older widow, did something completely out of character one day and bought a brand new car. A nice car. She spent a nice little chunk of her savings, because she had enough and just wanted something nice for herself for once. Her son, a middle aged guy not hurting for money, was absolutely incensed because she was spending his inheritance. He was already making plans for that money and she was blowing it! I hope she spent it all.

Shoot, if I had plenty, and heirs that wouldn't appreciate it, I just might leave it all to some TV preacher. Well, no, not a TV preacher I guess, but I'd find some worthwhile charity of my choosing.

KCSO
03-19-2013, 09:55 AM
#1 Probably not what YOU want.

#2 I doubt I will care then.

After years of sitting in court listening to folks fight over what wasn' theirs I often wonder if the Vikings had it right, pile it on the shipp and burn it with the body.

10x
03-19-2013, 10:01 AM
#1 Probably not what YOU want.

#2 I doubt I will care then.

After years of sitting in court listening to folks fight over what wasn' theirs I often wonder if the Vikings had it right, pile it on the ship and burn it with the body.

The black powder would make that an explosion.....

Not a bad idea --- It would save "scattering the ashes"...

TenTea
03-19-2013, 10:51 AM
Great thread.
My thoughts:
The devil fools with the best laid plans.
No one here gets out alive.
Have a good plan.
We are all just caretakers of history.
Be Well & Enjoy!

thekidd76
03-19-2013, 11:01 AM
I actually setup an NFA trust earlier this year. It's not just for NFA items, but everything firearm related. All my equipment including the safe is now in that trust, and will be handled by the trustees at that time. If kept up, this will pass down through the generations, and is now just a part of my estate plan.