PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart Ammo Prices

huntrick64
03-15-2013, 07:52 AM
There a lot of things that I don't like regarding Wal-mart, but I will give them this, they are not gouging people when they easily could. I was in the sporting goods section last night when I noticed a line forming quickly at the checkout counter. That line formed so fast I thought maybe they found a hidden box of Hostess snack cakes, so I got in line! Nope, just boolits. The "truck" had come in! I was curious to see what the prices were and how everyone would handle the situation. Two employees were working the deal, one sorting through the boxes and the other ringing people up. There were plenty (for the line anyway) of 45 auto, 45 S&W, and 7.62X39, but only one 50-box of 9mm and 4 (500 count) bulk boxes of .22s. They limited it to 2 per box of any one caliber per customer. Of course the first two customers snagged all of the .22s and the 9mm. What did suprise me was that the .22s ended up being like $16.97 per 500. That's what they have been for the last few years. A buddy of mine bought 150 rounds of .45 auto as well for $68. Not a steal by far, but also not a $1.00/round.

Giving everything going on these days, Sam Walton and Ole Roy would have both been proud. You know, they probably had something to do with that ammo showing up in the first place :wink:.

Lizard333
03-15-2013, 08:23 AM
This is good to hear. According to the "rumors", we are all never going to see ammo again. Turns out, the demand is just out weighing the supply. Go figure.

TheGrimReaper
03-15-2013, 09:10 AM
I will give it to Wal-Mart too for staying fair on their ammo prices!

ncbearman
03-15-2013, 09:29 AM
That is cool but I sure am glad we can be at about $4 for 50 CASTING BOOLITS :o Now thats cool!

felix
03-15-2013, 09:50 AM
No, not Sam and Roy, but someone who knows the score and truly CARES about customers, and their continual support. ... felix

Ya'll remember this! ... felix

oldtoolsniper
03-15-2013, 10:02 AM
I agree bow down to Walmart! Heck they only ran every small shop out of the country and turned the USA into a Chinese flea market. That is a small price to pay to save a buck!

oldred
03-15-2013, 10:44 AM
I agree bow down to Walmart! Heck they only ran every small shop out of the country and turned the USA into a Chinese flea market. That is a small price to pay to save a buck!

For sure, they are both a blessing and a curse at the same time!

Swamp Man
03-16-2013, 12:08 AM
Wal-Mart is one of only a few that has not jacked up prices on ammo but I knew Wal-Mart wasn't going to jack up the price. My wife has worked for Wal-Mart since the mid 80's and I always buy my ammo and guns from them.

TXGunNut
03-16-2013, 12:18 AM
I saw a similar event several days ago. Only problem was all these guys seemed to have been here last time the truck arrived. I wonder if they were prolific shooters or profiteers. I'd have been in line too if not for more $4/box CB reloads on the shelf than I can carry.

ncbearman
03-16-2013, 03:31 AM
Our WalMart's truck comes at 9:00pm every day except Sun and Wed. Sporting Goods gal told me that the same guys are showing up and that she "cut off" a couple of them to give those she didn't recognize opportunity to buy.

Me too TX.........been able to amass 1000 rounds of CB loads for each caliber I own. No panic here. Just sittin back and enjoying the show.

I saw a similar event several days ago. Only problem was all these guys seemed to have been here last time the truck arrived. I wonder if they were prolific shooters or profiteers. I'd have been in line too if not for more $4/box CB reloads on the shelf than I can carry.

Lizard333
03-16-2013, 10:29 AM
If you guys want to support a company that has not nor plans on gouging their customers, buy from Midway. I'm still getting AR mags for 13$ and other ammo. This is the complete opposite of cheaper than dirt.

marlin39a
03-16-2013, 08:24 PM
Bought 3 Winchester 555 packs of .22 LR this morning at the Prescott, Az Walmart, Hwy 69. $23.17 each.

wills
03-16-2013, 09:19 PM
Wal Mart had Partizan .223 for something like $7.88/box, limit 3 a few weeks ago, its gone, keep watching for more.

MBTcustom
03-17-2013, 08:59 AM

Excuse me, but Walmart wouldn't have a leg to stand on if the local folks everywhere weren't ruled by the dollar. Walmart lured all the business away from the small shops, stores, and groceries, by offering an inferior product and inferior customer service, but 5-10% savings on monthly shopping bills. They wouldn't have made it very far in the original America, but this generation and the last, think "hey look, I saved 25 cents! I am so very smart!" Walmart sais, "oh yes you are and you deserve to be smart too! Mom and pop store down the street trusts that people will not abandon them for the big flashy savings, and the lure of the big chain. "This is America after all, right? People are smart. They know better than to believe these lies! We'll be ok when folks figure it out." 6 months later they close up shop for lack of business.
All of their customers see the empty building from the walmart parking lot. "Oh dang! I used to love that little store! I was gonna go in there sometime and say hey. I guess they were tired of running it? What a shame."

Now, I realize that walmart has forced competition out and strong-armed companies into closing, but hear in my town, all they did was move in and the shoppers quit buying from the local places that had served them well for so many years.
What really buggs me is when folks make comments about walmart closing down the local places. Walmart is as big and powerful as it is, because of a thousand greedy decisions by the consumers.

41 mag fan
03-17-2013, 09:01 AM
It is too bad this demand hasn't been like this for years, the ammo mfrs could expand to keep up with the demand, whereby that'd create jobs.

If you guys want to support a company that has not nor plans on gouging their customers, buy from Midway. I'm still getting AR mags for 13$ and other ammo. This is the complete opposite of cheaper than dirt.

Never bought from Cheaper than Dirt. Looked in their catalog a few times, and didn't see anything that was cheap in it.

41 mag fan
03-17-2013, 09:10 AM
Excuse me, but Walmart wouldn't have a leg to stand on if the local folks everywhere weren't ruled by the dollar. Walmart lured all the business away from the small shops, stores, and groceries, by offering an inferior product and inferior customer service, but 5-10% savings on monthly shopping bills. They wouldn't have made it very far in the original America, but this generation and the last, think "hey look, I saved 25 cents! I am so very smart!" Walmart sais, "oh yes you are and you deserve to be smart too! Mom and pop store down the street trusts that people will not abandon them for the big flashy savings, and the lure of the big chain. "This is America after all, right? People are smart. They know better than to believe these lies! We'll be ok when folks figure it out." 6 months later they close up shop for lack of business.
All of their customers see the empty building from the walmart parking lot. "Oh dang! I used to love that little store! I was gonna go in there sometime and say hey. I guess they were tired of running it? What a shame."

Now, I realize that walmart has forced competition out and strong-armed companies into closing, but hear in my town, all they did was move in and the shoppers quit buying from the local places that had served them well for so many years.
What really buggs me is when folks make comments about walmart closing down the local places. Walmart is as big and powerful as it is, because of a thousand greedy decisions by the consumers.

you're exactly right Tim. The consumer is a hypocrite in their own right. Me and the FIL have had many a good talk about this.
He buys from the mom and pop shops when he can, with Walmart as the last option. But he'll readily go to Menards ect, and i've gotten onto him for this...and he realized I was right in that aspect.
But onto my thoughts....we've talked many a time about how the consumer is a hypocrite, in that they want to buy "American Made", but then they see the American made price, vs the Walmart price.
For instance, I need a t shirt, mom and pop shop the t shirt cost me $12.99, Walmart same t shirt just a different brand sell it for $8.99. No brainer there...i'm going to save me a few bucks and go to Walmart.
Now here's the real clincher, that Walmart does. They show and advertise, the "roll back price", ect ect.
What they are doing though, is getting a consumer in there, sees the prices, and before the consumer knows it....the $20 they were going to spend, just became $100.
Yup..good old shyster move...Walmart...saving you money, but in the end you'll spend more money.

ncbearman
03-17-2013, 11:28 AM
you're exactly right Tim. The consumer is a hypocrite in their own right. Me and the FIL have had many a good talk about this.
He buys from the mom and pop shops when he can, with Walmart as the last option. But he'll readily go to Menards ect, and i've gotten onto him for this...and he realized I was right in that aspect.
But onto my thoughts....we've talked many a time about how the consumer is a hypocrite, in that they want to buy "American Made", but then they see the American made price, vs the Walmart price.
For instance, I need a t shirt, mom and pop shop the t shirt cost me $12.99, Walmart same t shirt just a different brand sell it for $8.99. No brainer there...i'm going to save me a few bucks and go to Walmart.
Now here's the real clincher, that Walmart does. They show and advertise, the "roll back price", ect ect.
What they are doing though, is getting a consumer in there, sees the prices, and before the consumer knows it....the $20 they were going to spend, just became $100.
Yup..good old shyster move...Walmart...saving you money, but in the end you'll spend more money.

You are correct too, but in fact that is Tim's point. We are our own worst enemy. The only thing I would add to this is that there are alot of people out there that are now able to have things that they would not have because they have no money and money dictates every move they make. That microwave that was $100 at Sears is now at Walmart for $50 etc. There are some significant instances like that everywhere. Personally I will pay $12.99 for that shirt if I knew that someone in SC re-opened an old textile mill that has been shut down for years and started making that shirt here because I can afford to pay the extra. The fact is it's really hard to find things "MADE IN AMERICA" now.

marlin39a
03-17-2013, 12:04 PM
My buck only goes so far and I'm tired of being chastised for shopping at Walmart. I buy my toiletries, hardware, dog food, my canned goods and condiments, my .22 ammo, fishing equipment, and the list goes on. The mom and pop stores are a thing of the past. Anybody looking to compete is now on the internet. I buy from AMAZON when price is better than local. I shop my local gunshops, and support them when I can. I have to say - I LOVE WALMART!.

km101
03-17-2013, 12:19 PM
Ammo prices at the local Walmart have remained stable. No gouging, not even an increase that I can see. But both of the stores within my area have stopped carrying guns! And they have never had reloading supplies. I guess it depends on the market, but the sporting goods depts. in both stores seem to be continually shrinking! And you used to be able to order guns through Walmart. Not any more, at least in this area. Dont know if it competition from Basspro, Cabelas, etc. but Wallyworld seems to be getting out of the sporting goods business around here.

Swamp Man
03-17-2013, 02:31 PM
inferior product ??? I hate to tell you this but if you look at ANY item in a mom & pop shop and then look at the same item with the same product # at wal-mart you are looking at the same item from the same producer. The item is made the same with the same parts in the same plant and on the same line there is NO difference at all other then mom & pop wants twice as much for the item. If wal-mart has suppliers make items for them that differ from items sold elsewhere they will have a different product #. Go buy a gun from any maker from mom & pop and then go to wal-mart and check the same gun product # and then you can see how well mom & pop treaded you. Mom & pop order 3-5 of any given item while wal-mart orders 30,000 - 50,000 that's how they can sell it so much cheaper. Wal-mart didn't start out big they started as a 5 & dime store but Sam Walton had a good business plan and reinvested the profits instead of waisting it like so many mom & pop shop owner do.

Swamp Man
03-17-2013, 02:40 PM
Ammo prices at the local Walmart have remained stable. No gouging, not even an increase that I can see. But both of the stores within my area have stopped carrying guns! And they have never had reloading supplies. I guess it depends on the market, but the sporting goods depts. in both stores seem to be continually shrinking! And you used to be able to order guns through Walmart. Not any more, at least in this area. Dont know if it competition from Basspro, Cabelas, etc. but Wallyworld seems to be getting out of the sporting goods business around here.

Wal-mart stores are stocked for the demand of the local market in some areas they sell a lot of sporting goods and others vary little. You can still buy and order guns at most wal-marts areas of small demand they may not allow gun orders but it's a local demand thing.

Adam10mm
03-17-2013, 03:30 PM
You conveniently left out the corporate welfare, sales tax pocketing deals struck with states that smaller companies can't strike, and property tax waivers worth millions of dollars per store.

marlin39a
03-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Hey guys, I don't want to get into a debate over Walmart policies and products. The politics in this Country opened the way for Sam Walton to prosper. Will we ever get back to the old days? Not likely. I have friends and neighbors that work at Walmart. I spent over $200.00 there yesterday and got plenty of bang for my buck. I'm looking at a Kayak there now for around $450.00, and will probably buy it. The Winchester 555 packs I got there yesterday made my day also.

jmort
03-17-2013, 04:06 PM
As usual it all boils down to "go there if you want to and don't if you don't." Most of the USA companies outsourced to China etc. Once I learned Milwaukee stopped making tools in the USA and that you can't buy simple "made in the USA" electric hand tools anymore, I embraced Harbor Freight and Northern Tool. The firearms community has been uneven in supporting Made in the USA. I buy Made in the USA as much as possible even at Walmart. My jeans are made in the USA. Some of the complainers here probably drive Dodge trucks made in Mexico by an Italian company. I do what I can, but Walmart is not the problem.

Down South
03-17-2013, 05:08 PM
That microwave that was $100 at Sears is now at Walmart for $50 etc.
I believe that was one of Sam's intentions, put Sears out of business. He was almost successful. If I remember, there was some bad blood between Sam Walton and Sears way back.
I don't think Sam ever intended on Wal Mart turning into what it has since his demise. Sam was sharp. He started out buying stuff in bulk at a good price and reselling it under competitor’s prices.
Man, if I had just bought a couple K in Wal Mart Stock back then....
If I remember right, most of Sam's wares were mostly made in the USA.

Wal Mart has changed very much over the past several decades. They cater more to urbanites now than ever before. At one time, the sporting goods and automotive departments were much larger that most I see these days.

Mom and Pop stores just could not afford to buy in volume then pass on the savings to their customers. I still have a few favorite small stores that I frequent and purchase from even though I could go to Walley World and save a buck. Actually, I'd rather spend a bit more at a small shop than have to deal with the aggravation of having to go through check out at WM.

WM has become a very large corporation and is run as one. Profit is the bottom line and if goods from China, Japan, India, Indonesia, Mexico or wherever can be put on the shelves cheaper, then guess what.
Used to be at one time, we hated to see all the goods coming from Japan. China now holds that role.

Is it part our fault as consumers? Yes, without a doubt. There is blame to be placed elsewhere to. We as Americans have priced ourselves out of the market for various reasons. We just want more money for everything. Labor rates, unions, taxes & profit% have not only caused our prices for goods to be too high for competition but have also caused closure of businesses. This caused moving of businesses to countries where labor rates and materials can be bought cheaper.

I don't foresee the situation getting any better in the future. We are becoming more dependant on outside resources every day. What's our future? Your guess is as good as mine.

Buy your guns, ammo and components while you can. We may need them someday.

dragon813gt
03-17-2013, 05:46 PM
I'm not about the bite my nose off to spite my face. I shop at Walmart quite often. They are $4 cheaper per container of laundry detergent at their normal pricing. And they're $1 cheaper per container of shampoo/conditioner. This is compared to the grocery store I shop at. The one thing I will not buy from Walmart is food. There is a local employee owned grocery store chain that I shop at. They are competitive on most items and I don't mind paying a little more for better quality food. But toiletries and laundry items add up fast when you have a family and I'm not going to spend more than I have to.

Even though I reload I still check out walmarts ammo cabinet. I like to know what current prices are at. And I have a few friends that will always pay me back if I pick them up some ammo. Especially right now. Walmarts prices haven't budged. Distributor's prices haven't changed much. So ask yourself who's jacking up the prices? I know the small shops have to keep the lights on and pay their bills. And no stock means nothing to sell. But the price hikes at most of them are ridiculous. I'm glad I can afford to wait this one out.

woody402
03-17-2013, 05:53 PM
I wish our Walmart had ammo!!! I only buy 22's from them but they haven't had any in a month. All the other ammo is hit and miss too. This am the case was totally empty. When they do have it they limit it to 3 boxes.

TXGunNut
03-17-2013, 06:12 PM
We all miss the Mom & Pop stores but they simply can't compete with WM. They work hard to keep acquisition and distribution costs down and the M&P stores are not able to do that. WM employs many local folks, including many that are hard to employ. They don't pay much but it's a job. Some communities will give them an initial tax abatement but after that they are a major contributor to the local taxing entities, that's without considering the businesses that invariably pop up around WM's and the folks employed build the big box and all the pad site stores. They also collect local and state sales taxes where applicable, something many online sellers still don't do.
I wish I could buy more US made stuff but when the average consumer is more concerned with cost than country of origin it's easy to see why so many things are made elsewhere.
It's easy to bash Wally World but they're doing something right and even tho I have my gripes I shop there on a regular basis.

Down South
03-17-2013, 06:16 PM
The only thing that I am short on is 22 ammo. Reason being, I decided to purchase a decent 22 after all of this stuff started. I don't know why, but an old country boy like me who has always had a 22 should have known better. I've transferred most of the 22 responsibilities over to a 17 hmr years ago which I do have a good stock of ammo. I bought a bunch when our fearless leader was elected the first time.
I keep a couple feelers out on 22 ammo but so far, not much luck. I did get one box of Rem 550 a while back.

Silver Eagle
03-17-2013, 10:07 PM
I wonder how many of those boxes of ammo will be on the table at the next gun show or, in an online auction the same day???
I don't mind as much paying more for an item when the store is passing on its own cost increase. But, when some price gouger is at the store every time the truck comes in to buy up all the ammo just to jack up the price and resell it, that gets on my nerves!

TXGunNut
03-17-2013, 11:21 PM
I wonder how many of those boxes of ammo will be on the table at the next gun show or, in an online auction the same day???
I don't mind as much paying more for an item when the store is passing on its own cost increase. But, when some price gouger is at the store every time the truck comes in to buy up all the ammo just to jack up the price and resell it, that gets on my nerves!

That's why I'm sitting this one out. If these price-gougers make money this time they'll jump in and make things even worse next time. Last time we had an ammo shortage some folks didn't think there would be a next time. I hope they're wrong again this time but someday they won't be. We all need to be ready for the next crisis, and this ammo shortage is nowhere near the crisis we should expect. I'm no prepper, just an old Boy Scout.

TreeKiller
03-17-2013, 11:45 PM
When the local Walmart opened a full time employee was 20 to 30 hours a week. I was a city letter carrier and delivered food stamps, welfare checks and medaCal (medical cards) to them because they did not make enough money to live on. In essence all the other people working were supporting Walmart.

Chill Wills
03-17-2013, 11:56 PM
Us Americans, as a group can be real dumb. The majority will always be dragging down the smarter minority with it. Until ...somption scares the hell out of us all.

The local Walmart here has a tag under the empty CCI 22 mini-mag shelve. $13.98 I think this is high or is it?
I recall them being only about half that but I have only been getting Standard Velocity -internet-mail order the last few years.

Being a planner I have enough fire wood and I will see the 22rf shortage through too. Just need to be careful and use less and buy when the price is right. Being a lifetime cast bullet shooter I have enough primers, powder and lead to see me through.

Swamp Man
03-18-2013, 12:02 AM
When the local Walmart opened a full time employee was 20 to 30 hours a week. I was a city letter carrier and delivered food stamps, welfare checks and medaCal (medical cards) to them because they did not make enough money to live on. In essence all the other people working were supporting Walmart.
BS if they only worked 20-30 hours a week it was by their own choice. The ones you speak of only wanted a limited amount of hours so they could still get welfare. I hear so much misleading info about wal-mart and I don't say anything most times but this is out right a BS statement I can't let pass.

Adam10mm
03-18-2013, 12:35 AM
Some communities will give them an initial tax abatement but after that they are a major contributor to the local taxing entities, that's without considering the businesses that invariably pop up around WM's and the folks employed build the big box and all the pad site stores. They also collect local and state sales taxes where applicable, something many online sellers still don't do.
Read this to open your eyes a bit about the tax handouts with Walmart, Cabelas, etc. They don't pay property tax, they don't forward state and local sales tax they pocket it toward their bottom line in order to build stores in their locations, and they receive handouts from governments.

http://www.amazon.com/Free-Lunch-Wealthiest-Themselves-Government/dp/B002HREKHS

Swamp Man
03-18-2013, 01:44 AM
Read this to open your eyes a bit about the tax handouts with Walmart, Cabelas, etc. They don't pay property tax, they don't forward state and local sales tax they pocket it toward their bottom line in order to build stores in their locations, and they receive handouts from governments.

http://www.amazon.com/Free-Lunch-Wealthiest-Themselves-Government/dp/B002HREKHS

LMAO BS that's so far from the truth it's not funny.

Adam10mm
03-18-2013, 02:20 AM
Whatever makes you sleep at night.

gbrown
03-18-2013, 09:20 AM
Walmart is the focus of this thread, but anyone over 60 should remember all of the neighborhood gas stations, hamburger "joints?" or "shacks?" that use to be all over my old neighborhood. Then came Burger Chef and others who put the burger places out of business, and then the corporate oil companies started building their own stations to shut down the little ones. It's just how the American landscape has changed. As many here have stated--the American consumer voted with their pocket and it wasn't for the little guy.

jcwit
03-18-2013, 09:47 AM
I used to feel the same way about WalMart being the Big Evil Giant as in Jack In The Beanstalk. Then one day I realized that the savings from buying at WalMart allows me extra money to better afford the lifestyle my wife & I wish to live and to better afford my hobbies. I do try to buy U.S. made goods as long as the pricing is somewhat similar, but if a hammer is priced at $2.00 chinese made & the U.S. hammer is $20.00 and I have 3 nails to pound in its gonna be the $2.00 hammer in the shopping cart, plain and simple.

I think one of the big advantages of WalMart, Meijers, and other big box stores is most everything under one roof rather than running hither and yon doing ones shopping. Country of origin has nothing to do with it, however price does and if the U.S. manufacturer could accept this there would be a different story to tell.

dakotashooter2
03-18-2013, 10:46 AM
Walmart like any other business will look for incentives to come in to a community.Economic development packages often contain property tax exemptions, but generally for a limited term. That is common practice across the country. In my community almost all new businesses get a 5 year property tax exemption. Often the only part of that the people "see" in the media is "exemption" and they don't see the part about the time limit so 10 years down the line they still think and tell people that business is getting an exemption when it is not. FYI most econimic development funds come via sales tax so giving both exemptions would be like cutting off your own foot. Those funds (sales tax) are generally established by law so no one can just exempt them unless there are provisions for it in the law.

Unfortunately we are dependent on other countries for goods. If we tried to depend on US made goods all the shelves would look like the ammo shelves do right now...... There is just too much demand......

Almost everything we buy has beeen touched one way or another by another country. Even stuff made here is often made with raw materials from another country.

Tell a GLOCK owner to buy American.......................................... ....

dragon813gt
03-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Glock has a plant in the US and you will find that some, not all, say made in the USA on them. Same way that foreign car companies have plants here.

I've also never heard of Walmart not having to fork over sales tax money. I can see them working deals at the local level for property tax exemptions. But I don't see states not wanting their sales tax money. The Walmart by me got property tax exemptions for five years. They've been paying them ever since. They've also bought up more land around them when they expanded so they now have to pay more taxes. I'm in an area where Walmart hasn't killed the small stores. The population and competition has prevented this. Same thing w/ Home Depot. The local lumber yard right across street has now expanded because they have more business then ever. I know this isn't the case in most areas. But there are a lot of factors that contribute to the big box stores killing all local competition.

jcwit
03-18-2013, 11:53 AM
I can really see WalMart or any other company local or otherwise going to the county/state authorities and asking for building permits but also saying "Heck No, We're not going to ask for or accept any concessions even tho they're available!".

Adam10mm
03-18-2013, 11:55 AM
If you think that is an acceptable practice, then you should have no complaints about any welfare handouts, right? Corporate or individual. Whine all you do about individual welfare handouts but corporate welfare is acceptable?

Alvarez Kelly
03-18-2013, 03:20 PM
If you think that is an acceptable practice, then you should have no complaints about any welfare handouts, right? Corporate or individual. Whine all you do about individual welfare handouts but corporate welfare is acceptable?

You are being a little short sighted. Property tax, or sales tax (on building supplies) concessions are given to bring JOBS and an increased sales tax base to a local economy. Politicians are doing everything they can to bring big box stores to their towns. I don't think any of that is a bad thing. Towns aren't just handing out money. They get something in return.

jcwit
03-18-2013, 03:34 PM
Absolutely correct Alvarez.

Comparing welfare with property tax concessions are worlds apart.

BTW, who's whining?

Swamp Man
03-18-2013, 04:43 PM
Now that we have cleared up a few misleading statements about Wal-mart can we get back to the topic of ammo prices at Wal-mart? I thought we had a good thread going that could help locate ammo stocks in your local Wal-marts.

ncbearman
03-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Tell a GLOCK owner to buy American.......................................... ....

+1 THANK YOU besides...........glocks don't like cast boolits anyway :o

dragon813gt
03-18-2013, 05:36 PM
Now that we have cleared up a few misleading statements about Wal-mart can we get back to the topic of ammo prices at Wal-mart? I thought we had a good thread going that could help locate ammo stocks in your local Wal-marts.

Sure, the prices at ones in SE PA are the same as before the panic started. The only thing I found that costs more money is shotgun shells. They went up by about $4 per box of 100 for the cheap target loads. While the shelves seemed to hold up longer than other areas. They are completely bare at the five that I visit in my travels. The only thing they seen to have is 20 gauge target loads. And turkey loads in all gauges. But these will disappear in the next few weeks when spring gobbler opens.

Swamp Man
03-18-2013, 07:50 PM
In north central Fl we are seeing more stock lots of shotshells and slugs in 410,28 and 20 lots of different rifle ammo. Not much in the line of 9mm,22lr or 223 those get bought as soon as the hit the floor. Gun racks are looking better as far as rifles and shotguns no AR type rifles so far. One shop in town the rack was filled with AR's a week or so back so things are looking better at least in this area.

Adam10mm
03-19-2013, 01:21 AM
You are being a little short sighted. Property tax, or sales tax (on building supplies) concessions are given to bring JOBS and an increased sales tax base to a local economy. Politicians are doing everything they can to bring big box stores to their towns. I don't think any of that is a bad thing. Towns aren't just handing out money. They get something in return.
You are missing the point. You customers pay sales tax but Walmart pockets the money as profit. They do not forward sales tax to the state. Is that clear enough? Here in Michigan, Walmart takes your 6% sales tax and the state of Michigan gets 0% of that. Is that clear enough? Walmart collects sales tax but keeps it. That money is supposed to go to the state, but it doesn't. It stays with Walmart. It does not go to the local economy. Businesses are revenue generators for governments. Why are they fighting so hard to eliminate the revenue that businesses like Walmart, Cabela's, Bass Pro, etc would provide to them? These aren't friendly 1 year "concessions", these are decades long deals. Hundreds of millions of dollars are going to Walmart and not the state. For jobs? Guess there is no honor or principle in businesses any more.

Comparing welfare with property tax concessions are worlds apart.
So we're calling them "property tax concessions" now? Forty year "property tax concessions" like the Walmart store near me received? When I'm 72yo, Walmart by me will finally have to pay property tax, unless they strike another deal. In an economically depressed area like mine, tax revenue is the last thing you want to cast aside.

For a "pull your own weight with taxes" crowd you guys sure are liberal.

glocks don't like cast boolits anyway :o
Back when I didn't know any better and owned a Glock, my Glock 30 was very fond of Lee 230gr TC WW+2%Sn and 6.0gr WSF.

Alvarez Kelly
03-19-2013, 01:29 AM
You are missing the point. You customers pay sales tax but Walmart pockets the money as profit. They do not forward sales tax to the state. Is that clear enough? Here in Michigan, Walmart takes your 6% sales tax and the state of Michigan gets 0% of that. Is that clear enough? Walmart collects sales tax but keeps it.

You'll have to prove that to me. That is NOT how it is anywhere I have lived. There is always LOTS of publicized debates about the concessions. How much, how long, etc. No one EVER suggested more than 1% and never for more than 5 years.

IF that is true, all I can say is you have some very crooked or STUPID politicians in Michigan.

You come off so rabid, that you strain credibility. Saying it over and over, with more and more vitriol, doesn't make it true.

Swamp Man
03-19-2013, 01:33 AM
You are missing the point. You customers pay sales tax but Walmart pockets the money as profit. They do not forward sales tax to the state. Is that clear enough? Here in Michigan, Walmart takes your 6% sales tax and the state of Michigan gets 0% of that. Is that clear enough? Walmart collects sales tax but keeps it. That money is supposed to go to the state, but it doesn't. It stays with Walmart. It does not go to the local economy. Businesses are revenue generators for governments. Why are they fighting so hard to eliminate the revenue that businesses like Walmart, Cabela's, Bass Pro, etc would provide to them? These aren't friendly 1 year "concessions", these are decades long deals. Hundreds of millions of dollars are going to Walmart and not the state. For jobs? Guess there is no honor or principle in businesses any more.

So we're calling them "property tax concessions" now? Forty year "property tax concessions" like the Walmart store near me received? When I'm 72yo, Walmart by me will finally have to pay property tax, unless they strike another deal. In an economically depressed area like mine, tax revenue is the last thing you want to cast aside.

For a "pull your own weight with taxes" crowd you guys sure are liberal.

Back when I didn't know any better and owned a Glock, my Glock 30 was very fond of Lee 230gr TC WW+2%Sn and 6.0gr WSF.
Do you have a mental health issue?

Adam10mm
03-19-2013, 01:48 AM
I didn't believe it either at first. I'm a capitalist, pro business, free market SOB as you can find. I'm friends with an assistant store manager in another part of the state that sees the numbers and showed them to me. He said it's like that all over.

Let's see, for politicians we had Kirkpatrick as mayor of Detroit and Stabenow and Lenin for Senators. KP is going to serve a long time for all sorts of corruption stuff and the other two liberals are voted in by the poor and unions in Detroit. Yup. Crooked and stupid politicians. No wonder why Michigan was the only state to lose population in the 2010 census.

Adam10mm
03-19-2013, 01:52 AM
Do you have a mental health issue?
So you're going to resort to personal attacks and accusations?

Alvarez Kelly
03-19-2013, 02:09 AM
Let's see, for politicians we had Kirkpatrick as mayor of Detroit and Stabenow and Lenin for Senators. KP is going to serve a long time for all sorts of corruption stuff and the other two liberals are voted in by the poor and unions in Detroit. Yup. Crooked and stupid politicians. No wonder why Michigan was the only state to lose population in the 2010 census.

OK. You've proved your point about crooked and stupid politicians! :-)

However, tax payments of publically traded companies are a matter of record. As I said, you'll have to prove your assertion that sales taxes don't get passed on. You should hear the fighting around here when a Walmart store even THINKS about moving to a new location. It's all about the tax revenue. I guess that's why your statement doesn't make sense. It is the exact oppposite of everything I've experienced and flys in the face of logic. Why would any government body allow a company to collect taxes and keep them for themselves. Having a Walmart in your community under those conditions would be a huge BURDEN. It would bring no benefit to the local community.

I would have to say, just because a Walmart assistant store manager tells you something, doesn't mean they have all the facts either. It would be considered fraud, or even theft.

khmer6
03-19-2013, 02:11 AM
Walmart was cool in the beginning but now they can suck a big fat one. And they want to b I t c h and moan about amazon nnot paying taxes, well screw off Walmart. Always striking deals to get tax credits and run off the honest small mom and pops and ruin the community. It takes 30 minutes to check out no matter what time. Employees are jerks, asset protection can lick my peanut butter harassing me every damn time

Alvarez Kelly
03-19-2013, 02:34 AM
Walmart was cool in the beginning but now they can suck a big fat one. And they want to b I t c h and moan about amazon nnot paying taxes, well screw off Walmart. Always striking deals to get tax credits and run off the honest small mom and pops and ruin the community. It takes 30 minutes to check out no matter what time. Employees are jerks, asset protection can lick my peanut butter harassing me every damn time

But tell us how you REALLY feel! :-P

Adam10mm
03-19-2013, 02:42 AM
OK. You've proved your point about crooked and stupid politicians! :-)
Tell me about it. I'm far away from Detroit, but feel the wrath of the Dems in the Senate. Luckily Levin is retiring but unfortunately the unions and Detroit will vote us another Democrat to replace him. Last election, the entire UP was red except for Marquette county, the most populous. Go figure.

I guess that's why your statement doesn't make sense. It is the exact oppposite of everything I've experienced and flys in the face of logic. Why would any government body allow a company to collect taxes and keep them for themselves. Having a Walmart in your community under those conditions would be a huge BURDEN. It would bring no benefit to the local community.
Exactly the points I made myself. The whole point of inviting business is for tax revenue. Businesses don't pay taxes, they collect taxes. Follow the logic in your post...promote jobs and growth, the employees are spending money on local economy growing local businesses, etc being promoted through the media. In reality white trash spends their welfare check at Walmart buying foreign made products while the husband/father sits in his foreign made chair and watches his football on his foreign made TV with foreign made cable box drinking beer with an American brand now owned by a foreign company.

I would have to say, just because a Walmart assistant store manager tells you something, doesn't mean they have all the facts either. It would be considered fraud, or even theft.
Did you miss the part about me seeing the financial statements myself?

khmer6
03-19-2013, 02:51 AM
I am all for saving money. But when it doesn't flow back into the community it hurts a lot more than those few pennies for such terrible service.

freebullet
03-19-2013, 03:22 AM
How funny to see this thread on a site about making yer own boolits. Is that irony? I do not miss the days of looking around for ammo hehehe. I avoid Walmart whenever possible. The corporate policies the type of people encountered at the local store the absolute nonexistence of customer service or care and poor quality goods in general. There are a few items we get there tp tissues ect only because of their volume price. If it came down to it I would rather change a flat tire then go there.

Swamp Man
03-19-2013, 03:34 AM
So you're going to resort to personal attacks and accusations?

It wasn't an attack it was a question. No need to answer the question your comments have already gave me the answer.

Alvarez Kelly
03-19-2013, 03:38 AM
Did you miss the part about me seeing the financial statements myself?

I'm trying to imagine ANY financial statement a store manager could show you that proved they were KEEPING tax revenue. The have to have records yes, but for what purpose? To PAY the state of course.

Still doesn't pass the BS test. I'm not saying you don't believe. I'm just saying I don't. Not with the "proof" spread that thin.

Swamp Man
03-19-2013, 04:37 AM
I'm trying to imagine ANY financial statement a store manager could show you that proved they were KEEPING tax revenue.

Wal-Mart taxes are handled by the corporate office not by store managers they don't even have any of the tax documents. LOL

dragon813gt
03-19-2013, 06:39 AM
Wal-Mart taxes are handled by the corporate office not by store managers they don't even have any of the tax documents. LOL

This is what I was thinking. I also can't imagine an Assistant manager having access to the books at that level. With the dire straights that most states are in this would be front page news. I'm not buying Walmart pocketing sales tax money until I see actual reports stating otherwise.

cajun shooter
03-19-2013, 08:47 AM
A lot of you that have posted about Wal-Mart are either too young or you did not care about what was going on in your local area's.
When Wal-Mart first started, it was on the grounds of offering "USA MADE PRODUCTS" to it's customers at a fair price and profit. When the main man died, everything changed. I have personal friends that are my neighbors who work there and have related this information to me. Plus some of it is a matter of printed material by people who cared to investigate this huge giant that rules our neighborhoods.
A very close friend of mine was given a job as a greeter and that went well until he developed bad knees at the age of 63. He had to have both replaced. He was expected to stand for a 10 hour shift with one 15 minute break which was impossible. He was told to find another job.
It is a matter of record on how Wal Mart handles the companies that they do business with. They have put many of them under by using this tatic.
Wal-Mart tells the company what they will pay for the product not the other way around. I think one of the plastic container companies was put out of business by this. They were in the RED and Wal-Mart told them they had to sell lower.
I went to my local store just two weeks ago and found a tire that was once carried by them no longer there. The auto man advised they would no longer lower the price they sold for.
Go to any of them and see how many of Sam Waldens Made in The USA items you can find.
On the ammo thing, my local store has been shelves clean for over two months.

jcwit
03-19-2013, 09:09 AM
Go to any of them and see how many of Sam Waldens Made in The USA items you can find.

Go to any retail outlet in the U.S., big box, mom & pop, large or small, the same hold true.

jcwit
03-19-2013, 09:13 AM
You are missing the point. You customers pay sales tax but Walmart pockets the money as profit. They do not forward sales tax to the state. Is that clear enough? Here in Michigan, Walmart takes your 6% sales tax and the state of Michigan gets 0% of that. Is that clear enough? Walmart collects sales tax but keeps it. That money is supposed to go to the state, but it doesn't. It stays with Walmart.

As far as WalMart being able to keep the sales tax monies that they collect is more than ridiculous, its just asinine.

Unbelievable that someone would actually believe this let alone pass it on.

wills
03-19-2013, 05:46 PM

Tula 7.62x39 $5.17

wills
03-19-2013, 05:51 PM
A very close friend of mine was given a job as a greeter and that went well until he developed bad knees at the age of 63. He had to have both replaced. He was expected to stand for a 10 hour shift with one 15 minute break which was impossible. He was told to find another job.

This seems strange and atypical. One Wal*Mart where I used to shop had a greeter in a wheel chair.

ncbearman
03-20-2013, 01:40 AM
As far as WalMart being able to keep the sales tax monies that they collect is more than ridiculous, its just asinine.

Unbelievable that someone would actually believe this let alone pass it on.

+1 Don't spread unsupported statements. Thats what the libs do to get things their way.