PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone repair?

Jimmydaux
08-17-2007, 08:25 PM
Hey i figured with how much you guys have to clean up minerals and metals and deposits and such you might be able to point me to a chemical or something that may possibly remove corrosion from inside a cell phone keypad without harming the electronic components and disolving the plastic and rubber.

DeanoBeanCounter
08-17-2007, 10:50 PM
:) Plain old isopropyl rubbing alcohol out or your medicine chest and maybe a soft brush might help. Very thoroughly dry of course, at least over night.
:) A fresh pink pearl eraser does a good job on circuit boards and contacts. That's whats on most pencils.
:eek: Radio Shack use to have a spray can called TV tuner cleaner (one for black and white, and one for color). This stuff also contained a little bit of lubricant which helped protect the circuits. They do have a tape head cleaner, which is mostly isopropyl rubbing alcohol.
I don't know if WD-40 would do any harm or good.:confused:
Hope this helps. If and when I think of any more I will post them.
Deano
:twisted:

Jim
08-18-2007, 08:14 AM
Contact cleaner from Radio Shack is better than alcohol, in that it contains NO water. Evaporates in seconds dry as a cat's @$$.

Jimmydaux
08-19-2007, 08:11 PM
ive given it a bath in alchohol and it worked for a bit. I think I need to clean it out even more so. Ill have to look for the contact cleaner you speak of.

LarryM
08-20-2007, 09:41 AM
dry as a cat's @$$.

So, just how dry is a cat's @ss??:???: :???: :confused:

kywoodwrkr
08-20-2007, 12:36 PM
LarryM,
You just got me in BIG trouble.
Spied ole tom cat sleeping in the sun so thought I'd check out just how dry is dry.
Well, four band aids later and I'm still no closer to an answer.
Thanks anyway!
:mrgreen:
DaveP kywoodwrkr
PS
Tom says keep your questions to yourself!
D.

NVcurmudgeon
08-20-2007, 07:49 PM
My wife left her cell phone in the pocket of a piece of clothing and ran it through a Maytag washer loaded wth Costco detergent and Downy fabric softener. Then it was dried in the matching Maytag dryer using a generic dryer sheet to eliminate static. This process resulted in the cell phone being perfectly clean, and even better, forever useless. Of course she couldn't leave leave well enough alone, and foolishly bought another cell phone. Some people never learn, the new phone is ringing all the time. I, on the other hand, am so important that people don't mind waiting until I contact them on my own terms. As a fringe benefit, my refusal to have a cell phone frees up pocket space for a spare .45 magazine.