PDA

View Full Version : Going to build a smelter... need help!

Sweetpea
03-14-2013, 11:50 PM
I came across an old propane tank...

My plan is to cut it down, and use the bung that is already on the top (now bottom) for a pour tube.

Should be fairly simple, just thread some stuff together, BUT!

What should I use to seal the threads that will stand up to the heat?

I was thinking of using a brass ball valve... do you think that will work?

Any thoughts and comments will be appreciated!

Brandon

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-15-2013, 10:14 AM
ball valves usually have teflon seats. IT will likely melt out. Also my recent experience with brass parts,
the heating and cooling cycles cause the threads to loosen over time, then that one time you tighten it, stuff breaks.
Use steel.

shadowcaster
03-15-2013, 02:49 PM
ball valves usually have teflon seats. IT will likely melt out. Also my recent experience with brass parts,
the heating and cooling cycles cause the threads to loosen over time, then that one time you tighten it, stuff breaks.
Use steel.

Jim is right.. You will be better off with steel. Also, you may find that by having your bottom pour in the center if there are components on the top, they will get in your way while stirring, fluxing and scooping. I prefer a smelter with a flat bottom so I welded up a rim and some steel plate to build my bottom pour smelter.

Shad

Jim
03-15-2013, 02:59 PM
I looked into this awhile back. After much research, I decided it was more cost and trouble than it was worth. I continue to use my 12 qt. dutch oven over a four (steel) legged heavy duty burner and a healthy ladle.

felix
03-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Not the cost so much, Jim, but the potential harm done by molten metal. ... felix

Sweetpea
03-15-2013, 03:32 PM
Yeah... I want to get the safety bugs out FIRST!

shadowcaster
03-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Done correctly... IMO cost can be kept to a bare minimum, and be safer that using the ladle method.

Shad

Chilmonty
03-15-2013, 10:23 PM
Instead of building one, I was actually looking at this for smelting:
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Bayou-Classic-Stainless-Steel-10-Gallon-Spigot-Pot/6660146/product.html

Kinda pricey but its already to go with a steel spigot. Says its good to 1000 degrees and all SS. What do you think?

Spawn-Inc
03-16-2013, 08:26 PM
Instead of building one, I was actually looking at this for smelting:
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Bayou-Classic-Stainless-Steel-10-Gallon-Spigot-Pot/6660146/product.html

Kinda pricey but its already to go with a steel spigot. Says its good to 1000 degrees and all SS. What do you think?

ball valve will be it's downfall, as stated they seal with a teflon/plastic bushing around the ball.

dragonrider
03-16-2013, 09:43 PM
"What should I use to seal the threads that will stand up to the heat?"

Weld.

As for a the valve try to find a shut off valve used for natural gas, they are solid brass, and adjusable.

USMC87
04-01-2013, 08:34 AM
The lift lever would be my preference, I'm looking at making my own just because I want a 25-30 pounder. My advantage is my friend owns a machine shop and I can get all the free steel and use all the equipment there also.

David2011
04-01-2013, 04:58 PM
That 10 gallon pot would hold over a ton of lead if you could apply enough heat to melt it all at once. Agreed that the ball valve will fail. If memory serves correctly, teflon becomes a gas at a little over 400 degrees F. Your seals would literally evaporate. Unless you intend to cast commercially Jim is right- probably more trouble and risk than it's worth. Dipping with a ladle is so much safer!

David

felix
04-01-2013, 05:03 PM
No way would that thing be heavy duty enough for lead. ... felix

geargnasher
04-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Nuttin' wrong with a good ol' ladle.

Gear