PDA

View Full Version : Small Bore Fast Twist Rifles

Good Cheer
03-14-2013, 09:00 PM
Hi there.
I would very much appreciate the relating of any experiences folks have had with small bore fast twist muzzleloading rifles. I'm currently enjoying a .400 bore and a .458 bore.
Anyone working with smaller bores?

Rattus58
03-15-2013, 07:35 AM
Hi there.
I would very much appreciate the relating of any experiences folks have had with small bore fast twist muzzleloading rifles. I'm currently enjoying a .400 bore and a .458 bore.
Anyone working with smaller bores?

I've a .410 with either 1-18 or 1-16 twist i think it is. I'm shooting a 400 grain bullet out of this gun and I love it.. :)

Aloha... 8-)

Nobade
03-15-2013, 08:01 AM
I have a couple of inlines that I picked up cheap and rebarreled. A Remington 700ML .350 cal, and a White .366 caliber. I haven't done a whole lot with the Remington yet beyond shoot it a couple of times and verify it shoots pretty good. I have shot the White quite a bit more, and a couple of weeks ago posted results of a new boolit mould I made for it here on this forum. As soon as I can secure a couple of new nipples for it I'll take it out again for more testing.

Skullmount here also is into these small rifles and may have the record for the smallest one...hoping he'll show up on this thread shortly. I am also convinced he is on the right track by using break open designs instead of the slam fire kind I have used. Shooting boolits in small bores eats nipples amazingly fast and using a breech plug that takes cartridge cases and seals properly would make it a lot better. Now if we're talking traditional side hammer designs, I'll lay off the inline stuff if you like...

-Nobade

johnson1942
03-15-2013, 11:37 AM
their is a post a little while back on a .30 cal somthing and paper patching it. it shoots real good. i have a .45 cal. 1/18 twist 36 inches long barrel. probaby the most consistantly accurate gun i ever had. it shoots anything from 400 grain to 620 grain pp/ed very well and consistant.

HARRYMPOPE
03-15-2013, 10:55 PM
A fellow i shot with at A Spokane Wa CBA match shoots a bare 210g(ish).32 caliber ML in a 1-18 for the 200 yard matches.The bullet is groove diameter.

George

rhbrink
03-16-2013, 07:34 AM
A fellow i shot with at A Spokane Wa CBA match shoots a bare 210g(ish).32 caliber ML in a 1-18 for the 200 yard matches.The bullet is groove diameter.

George

How does that shooter start the boolit? Must be a mechanical starter of some sort, and I have read of some people using a portion of their barrel and making a push through sizer that pre-engraves the boolit to the rifling. I would think that would be somewhat difficult to get started straight might even have index in the same groove?

Anyway I would really like to build a 35 or 38 cal muzzleloader much like what I have seen in Ned Roberts book. 15 to 20 pound rifle on an underhammmer false muzzle and the whole 9 yards. I don't know of anyone that would even build a proper barrel any more. If anyone knows of a maker I would like to know how to get in touch with him.

RB

bob208
03-16-2013, 08:47 AM
robert hoyt fairfield pa. has made barrels as small as .25.

at one time i had a .40 cal barrel with 1-48 twist which is right for prb. i made a false muzzle and shot bullets for a .38-40 they worked ok as they were short. but ones for a .40-82 would not shoot. they were too long.

Nobade
03-16-2013, 09:19 AM
Check out the Oregon barrel company. They can do long octagons and custom dimensions for fairly cheap.

-Nobade

HARRYMPOPE
03-16-2013, 10:58 AM
They are bore diameter and load easily.He used to be a member here so maybe i can get him to get the details posted.it worked easier than i thought posssible as .

newton
03-17-2013, 10:08 AM
I've had the itch to build my own gun for quite some time now. I hope to get with it this summer. I plan on doing a .45 caliber, but this topic of small caliber intrigues me.

I think it would be cool to have a "squirrel" rifle in a flintlock for my boy. On the note about using full bore diameter boolits, I use groove size, not bore size, in my .50 cal. No short starter. But what I do is knurl them. No lube grooves. They load easier than a sabot ever did in that gun. I think this is what I would also do with a smaller caliber, and what I plan on doing with the .45.

Good Cheer
03-17-2013, 10:35 AM
I'd love to try a .36 caliber with rifling for the gazillion available pistol molds. Growing up I hunted rabbits with a Ruger Security Six and found out that target load .38's were juuuust right.

skullmount
03-17-2013, 12:09 PM
Skullmount here also is into these small rifles and may have the record for the smallest one...hoping he'll show up on this thread shortly. I am also convinced he is on the right track by using break open designs instead of the slam fire kind I have used. Shooting boolits in small bores eats nipples amazingly fast and using a breech plug that takes cartridge cases and seals properly would make it a lot better. Now if we're talking traditional side hammer designs, I'll lay off the inline stuff if you like...

-Nobade

Someone should have :kidding: for real on this thread.

I have a .350 that is built on a White Super91 action, slam fire #11. It will shoot pretty well but it ate a white stainless nipple in no time. Sent a blown out one to Rick Weber and he put a PT piece in it. I have shot it only a limited amount since. Is a 14 twist

I also have a .350 that was built with a barrel liner from TJ, slid into a CVA Accura, 209 ignition, 14 twist also.

The smallest to date is a .315 that was built with a barrel liner from TJ, slid into a Remington Genesis, 25 acp case for ignition, you should be thinking altered breech plug here, way more simple than when I first set out. 14 twist also. This one I shot at a measured 200 yards once to see what it would do,(into 4" by 6") as at shorter ranges I get holes that show a slight cant to them, the bullets group well.
All are slip fit (ride the bore in)

I do have a piece of liner from the .315 that might work well for a false muzzle to start larger bullets in line with the bore.

Have not shot the smoke poles in a while since I have been getting to know my Colt 1911, casting for it etc.

check these links;

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?136533-An-even-smaller-bullet-shooter

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?25290-ML-Dreamin

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?73601-Simple-barrel-liner-project

HARRYMPOPE
03-17-2013, 12:32 PM
the. 32 rifle the fellow in Spokane. bought the rifle off of a fellow from Yakima Wa.it was made in the 1980's I believe.No false muzzle and looked like a Rigby if I rember correctly.

drhall762
03-18-2013, 12:56 PM
I don't know if this fits here or not, but if not, the Mods can delete it.

I have these in .bmp a little larger and clearer. If anyone is interested, PM me with your e-mail and I will shoot them off to you. No pun intended.