PDA

View Full Version : Headed into enemy held territory...

Love Life
03-14-2013, 10:59 AM
As I sit here planning my weekend trip to sunny San Diego I figured I would post about it. I'm headed down south to visit my old squad leader, hit the beach, and eat as many fish tacos at the open air mall as I possibly can. Hopefully we don't end up in fisticuffs behind a resturant like old times. I'm a little to old for that these days.

So as I plan this trip I have to think about my self defense options. Obviously CC is out the window, and I'm going to play it safe and leave the knuckle dusters at home as well. So what can I carry on me that is legal yet provides a good advantage? Hmmm. I have my trusty cold steel voyager with 2 1/2 inch blade. I have reattached my 1 lb innocent looking key fob. I wonder what else I can use that is innocent looking, but gives me a leg up. Maybe some steel toe boots?

Maybe because I'm older I'll just do the wise thing and avoid the less than reputable spots about town, but where is the fun in that!!

What would ya'll carry in a situation like this?

x101airborne
03-14-2013, 11:21 AM
Bear spray. Soak em and kick em in the nuts. I know some people aren't affected by OC spray, but you should have enough to fill both their lungs up about half way. I use it for head colds.

waksupi
03-14-2013, 11:42 AM
A good walking stick.

nhrifle
03-14-2013, 11:47 AM
Careful out there, that's the land of fruits and nuts. I agree with the stick. Hollow it out and fill it with lead shot. Oops, can't do that either, you would be concealing a deadly substance then.

oldred
03-14-2013, 11:48 AM
It's just a damn shame that this question even needs to be asked! How much longer before it's the same everywhere?

Love Life
03-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Thanks for making me spew coffee x101airborne!! What follows is a true story:

A friend and I were headed back from Reno to BFE where we live. He has one speed, and that is fast. So we are cruising along with him doing 80 MPH in a 55 MPH area in his F-150. This little car comes hauling up behind us and begins to tailgate. They decide we are not going fast enough and pass in a double line with oncoming traffic. They forced us onto the shoulder to allow them back in so they didn't get hit. My friend being the angry person he is proceeds to catch up to them, tailgate, and cut on his spot lights. They slam the brakes, which causes my friend to slam the brakes and coffee to fly everywhere. So my friend does the next logical thing. He passes them and hits his breaks. I get a good look into the car and it is a tiny woman driving with a man in the passenger seat.

So this continues for awhile until the car passes us for the last time. Once they pass and get ahead they pull onto the shoulder. I'm thinking that finally this is over...wrong. My friend pulls in behind them. Now he is a big fella. 6 ft 6 inches 200+ with 10 ft long arms. He gets out of the truck and starts to walk to the car. Does the man in the car get out? No. This tiny woman gets out with what I thought was an airhorn. When the big guy gets close she cut loose on him with what turned out to be the biggest can of mace I have ever seen. She gets him good. I mean she coats him head to to in the stuff, and the great part is this stuff is bright orange. My friend being the big man he is screamed like a little girl, hit the ground, and started rolling like he was on fire. The little woman jumps back in the car and takes off. Through out this whole thing the man in the car never moved. Me being who I am I had gotten out with my friend, but had stayed near the truck.

I provided friendly support by laughing until I couldn't see straight. He finally gained his composure, and I made him jump in the bed of the truck and lay down while I drove home at a nice sedate 60 MPH.

I think I'll pick up some mace at the LGS on the way out.

Swamp Man
03-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Well personally I wouldn't go to Cali for ANY reason. But if you want to be safe and not worry about any trouble just ware a "I Love Obama" tee shirt and they will welcome you with open arms.

gandydancer
03-14-2013, 11:59 AM
a very heavy padlock tied to a dark colored bandana in you back pocket with tail end sticking out to get a hold of real fast. and swing like a mace. works real well.. don't ask how I know this. GD

Mk42gunner
03-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Well personally I wouldn't go to Cali for ANY reason. But if you want to be safe and not worry about any trouble just ware a "I Love Obama" tee shirt and they will welcome you with open arms.

I just threw up in my mouth....

km101
03-14-2013, 12:55 PM
There is no way I would go there.......but if you gotta go. Take a big Maglite flashlight. Great defensive weapon. Check local laws on pocket knives. Take the largest that's legal. Again, check local laws on Mace/bear spray and carry if legal.

Safe trip, and hustle back to safe territory!

GOPHER SLAYER
03-14-2013, 01:07 PM
Going to San Diego? I don't see the problem. Now if you had said, south central LosAngles, Echo Park, Huntington Park,Lynwood, Englewood, Carson etc,etc. , I would understand your concern.

Swamp Man
03-14-2013, 01:22 PM
I just threw up in my mouth....

LMAO! See it would work,anything that makes us sick is what those freaks out in Cali seem to love.

jmort
03-14-2013, 01:46 PM
"I think I'll pick up some mace at the LGS on the way out"

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm surprised that no one mentioned carrying pepper spray. I do here in California and the longest folder I can reasonably carry, i.e. the extra large Cold Steel Voyager, 5 1/2" - The only sane area of California law allows one to conceal a folding sword if it will fit. No fixed blade knives of any length may be concealed here. Pepper spray can get you out of most any problem even when faced with a firearm. You mentioned "mace" I assume as a generic term, but the mace/pepper spray combos work well. I like the type with a spring loaded flip cover/safety for immediate deployment, sometimes referred to as a "police style" canister. Some of the "safeties" on pepper spray are a PIA. BTW you are limited to around 2 ounces of spray so don't get a large canister. San Diego is not going to be a problem, but better safe than sorry. Not far, an hour or so from where I live.

Kull
03-14-2013, 01:48 PM
If you can't ccw then I guess the cane/walking stick or pepper spray would be my second choice.

x101airborne
03-14-2013, 01:55 PM

If I were dropped off in the middle of the Sahara butt naked coved in olive oil and rosemary being chased by a tribe canibals carrying their own fire and salt shakers and I needed to camo myself to survive, I wouldn't put that on. I guess we gonna fight it out, but I AINT the only M'r F'r thats dyin!

Harter66
03-14-2013, 02:06 PM
4d+ maglites are a no no in Ca.

A nice pair of drivin' gloves and a roll of dimes pennies or nickels to fit on the palm should do.
I've a daughter that runs w/Seals and the Corp that I'm sure would steer you clear of the bad places. Near ElCentro .
About the bandana Diego is in cholo land as well as being a gender choice flag .Color choices w/w/o knots art/Ltd pocket to much for this bumpkin to keep track of. Have a SIL down there too, she flexs her Chief ret muscles pretty good if ya get in a sling,she's married to a master Chief that has a little pull too

Olevern
03-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Have your friend meet you in another state....don't support any part of the economy of Calif...just my 2 cents.

Blacksmith
03-14-2013, 02:12 PM
A roll of dimes in your pocket, or nickles if you have big hands.

Love Life
03-14-2013, 02:35 PM
Have your friend meet you in another state....don't support any part of the economy of Calif...just my 2 cents.

I like California. San Diego is one of my favorite places to visit. Lots of cool stuff there, and I am supporting a Pro 2nd Amendment business while I am there, and the Gas Lamp district...

Duckiller
03-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Bear spray not mace. Need a permit for mace. A large can of bear spray, while not to be used on people unless you are a UC Davis cop, is supposed to get some ones attention and change attitudes.

TheGrimReaper
03-14-2013, 03:37 PM
It's just a damn shame that this question even needs to be asked! How much longer before it's the same everywhere?

I was wandering the same thing!!!

P.K.
03-14-2013, 03:46 PM
LL,

Remember the "Write Anywhere Pens?" I carry one everywhere and nobody asks about it.

PS Paul
03-14-2013, 04:04 PM
4d+ maglites are a no no in Ca.

A nice pair of drivin' gloves and a roll of dimes pennies or nickels to fit on the palm should do.
I've a daughter that runs w/Seals and the Corp that I'm sure would steer you clear of the bad places. Near ElCentro .
About the bandana Diego is in cholo land as well as being a gender choice flag .Color choices w/w/o knots art/Ltd pocket to much for this bumpkin to keep track of. Have a SIL down there too, she flexs her Chief ret muscles pretty good if ya get in a sling,she's married to a master Chief that has a little pull too

Are you sayin' that 4D flashlights are banned in CA too? Really? Good God, what a lame bunch of bozos in Sac. I take pepper spray when I visit San Diego, which i just did at Christmas.

wills
03-14-2013, 04:11 PM
Wasp & Hornet spray does not dissipate like bear spray, and is readily available.

Baja_Traveler
03-14-2013, 04:45 PM
Just dont drop your flashlight outside police headquarters...

Suspicious Flashlight (http://www.azfamily.com/news/Flashlight-outside-Phoenix-Police-headquarters-not-a-danger-160630665.html)

Beekeeper
03-14-2013, 07:23 PM
OK Love Life here's the deal,
Get a full suit of body armor , head legs and arms included.
I know it is a lot of weight but you need to have it as well as an additional plate sewn in the back.
You are not humping a pack so the extra protection is needed.

Get your self a baton and hollow it out and add a couple of zinc wheel weights ( their still legal here) and cap the end with a piece of PVC and an end cap, ( easer to wipe clean than plain wood)

As for transportation , since I don't know what you have the best I can offer is to go by the local steel junk yard and get some 3/8 inch boiler plate to put in the doors, trunk , hood, and fenders.
Will not stop one of the local RPG's but might deflect it.
Get some of the 3/8 plate that has the holes punched in it to put in front of the radiator, again will not stop a RPG but might stop small arms long enough for you to get away.
Fully cover the underside of the car /truck/whatever with 3/8 plate as there have been a couple of bombs exploded that were on radio controlled cars and it will give you enough protection to get away.

Driving a diesel? Change the injectors to handle kerosene and stop by the local airport and fill up with Jet A and you will have all the power and speed you need..

Armament>>> When" I" go to San Diego I carry as much ammo as I can carry and a couple of automatic rifles!!!
I carry them in a hidden compartment in the trunk and under the front seat!!
Their not gonna ketch me napping.

Most Important be sure to look out for the Ninja's there.
Some of them dress up like women in bikinis just to fool you. Don't know of anyone that has excaped the yet but hear horror stories as to the torture they put a body through.

Most of all spend as much time as possible with your back to the wall so you can see what is going down and be ready for it.

beekeeper

PS: be sure and watch out for them knife weilding californians as they are pure terror.

BK

Love Life
03-14-2013, 07:26 PM
Lets see. I have the body armor so all I need is a tank, maybe some air support, and some bum-away spray. Lots bums in San Diego.

Bored1
03-14-2013, 07:54 PM
Thanks for making me spew coffee x101airborne!! What follows is a true story:

A friend and I were headed back from Reno to BFE where we live. He has one speed, and that is fast. So we are cruising along with him doing 80 MPH in a 55 MPH area in his F-150. This little car comes hauling up behind us and begins to tailgate. They decide we are not going fast enough and pass in a double line with oncoming traffic. They forced us onto the shoulder to allow them back in so they didn't get hit. My friend being the angry person he is proceeds to catch up to them, tailgate, and cut on his spot lights. They slam the brakes, which causes my friend to slam the brakes and coffee to fly everywhere. So my friend does the next logical thing. He passes them and hits his breaks. I get a good look into the car and it is a tiny woman driving with a man in the passenger seat.

So this continues for awhile until the car passes us for the last time. Once they pass and get ahead they pull onto the shoulder. I'm thinking that finally this is over...wrong. My friend pulls in behind them. Now he is a big fella. 6 ft 6 inches 200+ with 10 ft long arms. He gets out of the truck and starts to walk to the car. Does the man in the car get out? No. This tiny woman gets out with what I thought was an airhorn. When the big guy gets close she cut loose on him with what turned out to be the biggest can of mace I have ever seen. She gets him good. I mean she coats him head to to in the stuff, and the great part is this stuff is bright orange. My friend being the big man he is screamed like a little girl, hit the ground, and started rolling like he was on fire. The little woman jumps back in the car and takes off. Through out this whole thing the man in the car never moved. Me being who I am I had gotten out with my friend, but had stayed near the truck.

I provided friendly support by laughing until I couldn't see straight. He finally gained his composure, and I made him jump in the bed of the truck and lay down while I drove home at a nice sedate 60 MPH.

I think I'll pick up some mace at the LGS on the way out.

Chances are it wasn't mace per se, i have $ on that BIG can being bear spray/foam. Containers look like a black fire extinguisher. That stuff is generally a lot more powerful than pepper spray sold for self defense from humans. The foam is sprayable up to 35 feet!!

I have also seen quite a few neat "tricks" done with the old style hard black plastic combs like this one

http://www.ussalonsupply.com/assets/images/441098.jpg

Beekeeper
03-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Na them ain't Bums thems Marines!!
Used to be sailors but they all gone now.

beekeeper

runfiverun
03-14-2013, 08:23 PM
you are going to san diego.
all you need is some cool shades and the dorkiest hat you can find.
i'd suggest a 35-10 too and a beaded chain around your neck.
everybody will leave you alone.
a pair of khaki shorts,black socks and sandals should complete the outfit.

x101airborne
03-14-2013, 09:22 PM
Instead of all that armor, I would just rock a pair of kevlar underwear. Never know when they will catch you sleeping. I have a pair you can borrow and they are purple to boot! Should fit right in out there.

Love Life
03-14-2013, 09:26 PM
Na them ain't Bums thems Marines!!
Used to be sailors but they all gone now.

beekeeper

It is entirely possible to mistake a passed out drunk Marine sleeping in the street for a bum and vice versa. If we come across one the two of us combined can execute the dreaded quadruple knife hand *** chewing in public.

41 mag fan
03-14-2013, 09:27 PM
Or to protect yourself ...go get a te shirt made up front and back in BIG LETTERS and red in color that say:

AIDS AND HEPATITIS INFECTED

I promise people will give you a wide berth!!

gkainz
03-14-2013, 09:32 PM
I want to know where you think there are good fish tacos in Sandy Eggo? Back in the dark ages (when Miramar was still Master Air Station in Navy Blue and Gold) we had to go to the dock in Ensenada for good fish tacos.
I was just there last week (SD, not Ensenada - quick trip with no spare time in the schedule)
Greg

300winmag
03-14-2013, 09:35 PM
Spray some lead before its outlawed!!!!!

wv109323
03-14-2013, 10:05 PM
Don't forget the "Assault Ink Pen". They make some of those that are a dual purpose dagger.

TXGunNut
03-14-2013, 10:36 PM
a very heavy padlock tied to a dark colored bandana in you back pocket with tail end sticking out to get a hold of real fast. and swing like a mace. works real well.. don't ask how I know this. GD

Wrong color bandana might get you hurt, padlock tied onto it is good for little other than a weapon. Even CA cops can figure this out. Big, shiny, heavy belt buckle. Or a nice little AA flashlight in a belt holster.

mtnman31
03-15-2013, 12:41 AM
If you are headed to San Diego, you need to stop by the Lucha Libre burrito shop. It is right out the back gate of MCRD, right near Washington and I-5. If going to the gas lamp, stop in the Tilted Kilt right next to the ball park. Food is decent and the waitress are an eyefull. As much as I despise the politics of Kalifornia, San Diego is for the most part a pretty nice place. All the years I lived there, I was never bored and always enjoyed both the weather and the variety of great food.

429421Cowboy
03-15-2013, 01:26 AM
I have carried a can of bear spray from one side of this country to the other (literally), the beauty of it is they can't take it away from you, and it is legal for border crossings into Canada. Of course if we are staying in the states, we ALWAYS travel with guns in the vehicle as well, but a big honkin' can of bear spray can help even the odds a bit wherever you happen to be. Of course we also all wear a 2" belt with a 5"x3" Silversmiths belt buckle on it, that makes a heck of a way to give you some more reach, ask me how i know!
I am supprised that nobody has mentioned a good multitool as a weapon, either as a fist pack or with the pliers out they make a scary striking tool. I like my bull nosed Gerber as the pliers open straight out one handed, and putting all the power of a punch down to a tiny area makes a good argument against leaving me alone!

The real dumb part though is you are still facing a lawless element that will carry guns, knives, bats, hand grenades any anything else they want, since they could care less about the law, and the average citezen has nothing to stop them either!

Bad Water Bill
03-15-2013, 02:53 AM
Instead of all that armor, I would just rock a pair of kevlar underwear. Never know when they will catch you sleeping. I have a pair you can borrow and they are purple to boot! Should fit right in out there.

Jeff in N Z just P Md me to say he wants them back PRONTO.:bigsmyl2:

Beekeeper
03-15-2013, 09:48 AM
Now you be carefull of them Marine bums here in California.
It's supposed to be a secret known only to a few but I guess I can tell you.
Them Marines are here on a special training mission.
They are learning how to be "urbans" I mean how better to fight "Urbans" than learn to be one and act like one?
Couldn't have the training anywhere else as they might get thrown in the poky and that would ruin the secret training.

Now you need to be very carefull and pay the entrance fee at the border. just have a $50 ready as you cross with them foreign license plates and you will have no problem.
By the way them collectors are The Presidents men so be awfull carefull around them. Besides he needs the money for his golf vacations.

beekeeper

Marvin S
03-15-2013, 11:25 AM
Probalby not an option for you but spit some chewing tobacco in the eye's and then a kick to the giggle berries.

Love Life
03-15-2013, 09:22 PM
I infiltrated into enemy territory approximately 30 minutes ago. Prior to leaving I stuck "Go Green!!" and "Recycle 4 Life" stickers on my truck. I put on a hemp necklace with beads and put on my finest Hawaiian themed shirt, sandals with socks, combed my hair, and some God awful scent that smells nothing like Hoppes. On the way in drank only pineapple and mango(organic) juice and ate organic trail mix. So far nobody has suspected I am from a free state, but I messed up big time with my Nevada Veteran's license plates. So far it is sunny, and we are headed to the IHOP for some comfort food. Pray for me...

gbrown
03-15-2013, 10:12 PM
Keep it simple. A 24 inch piece of chain under the passenger seat with a hook on one end. 2 wraps around your hand. A small baseball bat--aluminum or wood behind the drivers seat. My son's or grandson's, however your age. Dad was a union officer, as an ironworker. He always got there 1/2 hour early and curled the chain in the bottom of the trashcan, underneath some wadded up paper. Came in handy once or twice. Once they caught on, no one messed with him. Wanta eat a hook?

blackthorn
03-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Axe or sledge hammer handle behind the seat with a wedge and the bill of sale taped to it!

popper
03-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Prior to leaving I stuck "Go Green!!" and "Recycle 4 Life" stickers on my truck. My wife could have sent you a repeal OBAMACARE bumper sticker. Then the SD conservatives would give you a protective motorcade.

dudits
03-18-2013, 10:29 PM
i am sure i will get some negative views on this, but i carried long before i had a concealed permit.
i always had the mindset that it was better to be judged then carried.
not sure what is legal in california, not even sure it is legal to defend one's self there.

TXGunNut
03-18-2013, 10:57 PM
Nope, self defense doesn't seem to be legal in Kalifornia but I'd probably be silly enough to try it. Don't think I'd bother to stick around to help w/ the paperwork.
You can usually score a pair of license plates off a used car lot or a rental car in just about any motel, blend in like a local.

Kull
03-18-2013, 11:42 PM
not sure what is legal in california, not even sure it is legal to defend one's self there.

Many counties in California are shall issue.

Duckiller
03-19-2013, 01:51 PM
Al counties in California are "may issue", some Sheriffs act as if they are "shall issue". Other sheriffs,LA and Orange only issue to major political donors. Orange Co. sheriff is getting sued in federal court for her issueing policy. A successful outcome could turn the State into a "shall issue" state, liberal legislature be d***ed. Self defence is legal in this state.