PDA

View Full Version : Wasn't paying attention... *sigh*

S.R.Custom
08-17-2007, 02:39 PM
Just got this Lyman Sizing Die (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=442518) in the mail from Midway. Take a look at the picture... notice there are only two rows of lube holes instead of the customary 4/3...

How long has Lyman been doing this? This makes the die utterly useless for long, heavy bullets with two or more lube grooves... :???:

mtgrs737
08-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Make yourself a V Block out of a piece of wood, and use your drill press to add the needed holes.

S.R.Custom
08-17-2007, 04:02 PM
Tried that. The bloody thing is harder than any drill bit I have.

Johnch
08-17-2007, 05:38 PM
I had a freind EDM a extra set of holes in a die for me
It cost me a 6 pack
Not sure haw much a machine shop would charge

John

dragonrider
08-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Try a carbide drill from brownells,

floodgate
08-17-2007, 06:51 PM
SuperMag:

What diameter die is it? I got an 0.313" Lyman sizing die with the two rows, evidently made for a short .32 Pistol bullet.

floodgate

S.R.Custom
08-17-2007, 09:20 PM
It's the .431" unit in the link above. I was expecting the 4 row version that my buddy has... :???:

Blammer
08-17-2007, 09:32 PM
what gets me is that Midway has all the pics upsidedown....

kodiak1
08-17-2007, 09:44 PM
SuperMag I have some here that have only two rows, Give her a test drive it may do what you want.
Ken.

mtgrs737
08-17-2007, 11:51 PM
+1 on the carbide tipped drills from Brownells. I had to drill out a broken off easy-out from a intake manifold once, I tried a regular high speed steel, TIN coated drill, and a Cobalt drill and all they did was spin on the thing. I finally got ahold of a carbide tipped drill and it started cutting the second it touched it, had it out in 2 minutes.

S.R.Custom
08-18-2007, 12:19 AM
Actually, the problem ended up being solved for the price of a few beers... I was comiserating with the afore-mentioned buddy down at happy hour, and we came to an arrangement-- if I buy his round, he'll give me his old .430" 4 row unit. He didn't know Lyman made a .431" sizer, and since all he shoots in .44 is pistol ammo, he's thrilled at the prospect of a 2 row die that doesn't leak so much lube; he's going to order a new 2-row die for himself.

So now I have separate dies for my pistol and rifle bullets. I will, however, have to hone the two of them out to their requirements, but hey, that's a hell of a lot easier than finding an EDM machine in Salmon Idaho... :mrgreen:

AZ-Stew
08-18-2007, 02:31 AM
Super,

If you're using a Lyman sizer press, try preloading the lube reservoir. In other words, crank the lube wrench and build up some pressure before sizing the bullets. Set the stop stud so that the bullet stops entering the die at the maximum height you want the lube applied. As the bullet enters the die, the pressurized lube will fill the lower grooves as they pass the holes in the die, and you can fill the top grooves by cranking the wrench again at the bottom of the press stroke to fill the upper grooves.

Regards,

Stew

montana_charlie
08-18-2007, 11:17 AM
Super,

If you're using a Lyman sizer press, try preloading the lube reservoir. In other words, crank the lube wrench and build up some pressure before sizing the bullets.
I (finally) got around to actually reading the instructions I was sent for my old Lyman #45. Funny...what you described is the way the instructions say to do it.

If that don't beat all...
CM

S.R.Custom
08-18-2007, 11:45 AM
Which would work if the plungers supplied with the dies fit better than they do. As it is, it's a loose fit, and if you pressurize first, lube oozes out all around the plunger, under the bullet, all around the base of bevel-base bullets... what a damned mess. As a result, everyone I know presurizes the lube--and just enough to fill the grease grooves-- after sliding the bullet into the die...

Edward429451
08-18-2007, 01:46 PM
Following the destruction manual procedure is a sure way to a big gooey mess IME. I put the boolit in place and size it and whle in the die, keeping down pressure on it, then turn the wrench a very little to pressurize it. A little down pressure goes a long way in keeping the lube from seeping under the base. Then I keep sizing/lubing until a boolit comes out with a bald spot of lube, then I know its time to pressurize again.

As little pressure as possible to keep the lube flowing works best for me.