PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Powder Measure

Gearhead1
03-13-2013, 07:29 PM
OK Team Hollywood, here's one for you guy's to figure out.
Need info on correct size for powder tube. Inside i.d. is 1.9500 and fine threads on the in side of housing. Witch replacement tube do a need to buy that will fit.Here is a few pics. Thanks for any help you can give me.http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/attach/jpg.gifhttp://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

ReloaderFred
03-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Both links give an "invalid attachment" response when clicked. I'll have to look at my Hollywood powder measure and see what it takes.

Hope this helps.

Fred

LUBEDUDE
03-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Sorry, my measures are not in my possession right now.

Gearhead1
03-14-2013, 09:09 PM
Hi Fred, Fix attachments so you can view them. Found some info out from one of Pressman's post that was helpful also. I have found a plastic dealer that has acrylic tubing that should work, going to check it out tomorrow.

Gearhead1
03-14-2013, 09:15 PM
Hi Lubedude, Think i got a line on some acrylic tubing from a local source here in town. I will let you know if this tubing will work. Thanks for the help.

LUBEDUDE
03-15-2013, 04:12 AM
I sure hope you can get the correct threads cut Gearhead1.

Gearhead1
03-15-2013, 09:51 PM
Going to try heating up the tube and then slowly turning the tube into the powder measure threads, wish me luck.

LUBEDUDE
03-16-2013, 02:04 PM
I wondered if that method was plausible. Was afraid to mention it, thought it may be a little too Redneck!

I sure hope it works out!

seagiant
03-16-2013, 07:47 PM
Hi,
What I did because I was to busy to stop and make a mandrel to help support the tube in the lathe was to grind down the end of my plastic tube on a belt sander just a bit and then started turning it in to the base of the measure. This lets it make it's own threads as you go and has worked for me very well.

I hope to do a more professional job one day when I can make the support tooling to cut the actual thread on the tube. I am not home at this time but have a pic you might be able to use as an idea. If you look close at the edge of the base,you can see the grind marks on the plastic!

LUBEDUDE
03-17-2013, 01:02 AM
Howdy Seagiant, from what I can see, that looks like a pretty darn good clean job to me!

Gearhead1
03-22-2013, 09:27 PM
OK, Team Hollywood got all the parts today for the powder thrower, and put it all together. The end cap is from home depot it's a 1&1/2" ABS end cap, the tube is acrylic and 2" o.d. I beveled both ends of the tube first then used a heat gun to heat the tube up to make it soft and screw it into the mouth of powder thrower, the other end i did the same to only i slid the end cap over the tube and let it cool. Came out really nice. got to love that redneck engineering! Here are some pics. Whole project cost me $5.25 If anybody needs tubing for there throwers the place is close to my house so let me know if i can help.

LUBEDUDE
03-22-2013, 09:49 PM
Great job Gearhead!

Thanks for the pics.

bear67
03-22-2013, 10:11 PM
I have built tubes for a couple of different powder measures. I had access to plexiglass tubes, not acrylic. If I heated plexiglass with heat gun it clouded the see though properties, so I beveled the end and immersed it in about 175 degree water until, warmed and then let the threads in the measure act as a did and cut threads in the tube. I used spray silicon as a lube while cutting threads and wound up with clear tube on the measures. I would send pictures, but these were for other folks. My friends bring me broke stuff because I get pleasure in fixing their problems, especially when no parts are readily available.

bear67
03-22-2013, 10:13 PM
cut threads with a die, not a "did". My fat fingers at work again--got a bandaged thumb tonight, so I even have an excuse.

Forgive me as I really can spell die.