PDA

View Full Version : Slugging a barrel

cruisor
03-13-2013, 02:29 PM
Hello,

Before I order molds and sizing dies I would like to slug the barrels of my 45 and 9mm pistols.

I can't seem to find where to purchase these items. Would someone point me in the right direction to get them coming.

Thanks,

Lee

rsrocket1
03-13-2013, 02:41 PM
You typically don't buy slugs, either you use an egg fishing sinker or you make your own slug. Here is a good tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuNoo4m6jso).

It starts slow, but get past his sitting there and talking and he has good ideas like using a fired case as a mold and a kinetic bullet puller to get it out. Be sure to lube the slug.

cs86
03-13-2013, 02:41 PM
you don't really need anything special. Get a wood slightly smaller than the inside diameter of the barrel. Then get a used case with a spent primer still intact and melt lead into the case. Drive the slug out with a kenetic bullet puller. Take the slug, oil it, and drive it down the barrel with the wood dowel and a hammer. There you have it. There are some good youtube videos out there that show how.

2muchstuf
03-13-2013, 02:59 PM
I guess wood is OK for your short guns but when you start getting into the long guns, and you will.
Brass is better , even steel is good if you wrap rape every few inches to protect the bore.
Lots of broken wooden dowels have caused many headaches.

captaint
03-14-2013, 10:16 AM
Read post #4 again. Only I would wrap TAPE......

Char-Gar
03-14-2013, 11:47 AM
"Slug the bore", is a mantra that is way overdone. The critical measurement is the chamber throat (rifle) or the cylinder throat (sixgun). PROVIDING, the bore (land and groove) is smaller than this measurement and I have never found one that was not. Well, I need to rethink that one. I have found some Ruger 45 Colt cylinder throats that were smaller than the barrel bore (land and groove).

For the autopistol, as long as the bullet is larger than the bore (land and groove) and the loaded round will feed and chamber well, the size of the bullet is of secondary importance. For me this is .358 in the 9mm and .452 in the 45 ACP rounds. Those are the only two autopistol rounds I load.

blackthorn
03-14-2013, 12:01 PM
With the huge amount of posts (that are there for people who read) advising to the contrary, I can't believe we are still getting the recomendation to use wood dowels to drive the slug down the barrel! I do not think I have ever seen a slugging question (including this one) that did not warn of the danger in using wood!

gandydancer
03-14-2013, 12:09 PM
www.meisterbullets.com slug kits

Hello,

Before I order molds and sizing dies I would like to slug the barrels of my 45 and 9mm pistols.

I can't seem to find where to purchase these items. Would someone point me in the right direction to get them coming.

Thanks,

Lee

Jim
03-14-2013, 12:26 PM
With the huge amount of posts (that are there for people who read) advising to the contrary, I can't believe we are still getting the recomendation to use wood dowels to drive the slug down the barrel! I do not think I have ever seen a slugging question (including this one) that did not warn of the danger in using wood!

It's been over a year, but awhile back, some guy (no longer active here) tried to slug the bore of his Mosin with a dowel and it sheared off in the barrel. Then he tried to beat it out with a steel rod and made matters worse. He wound up having to take it to a smith to get it removed and the smith told him the riflings were ruined from the beating with the steel rod.

Man, what an unholy mess that turned out to be! The drama lasted for a coupla' weeks if I remember right. Sometimes, ya' just have to let people learn the hard way.

mdi
03-14-2013, 01:16 PM
http://www.lasc.us/Brennan_2-1_MeasuringGunDimensions.htm Good info here on slugging/measuring...

Recluse
03-14-2013, 07:47 PM

Yep, we even have a sticky explaining how to get the ruined wooden dowel out of a barrel WHEN it splinters and breaks and swells.

Not if, but when.

I shudder at the thought of using a wooden dowel. Did it once and almost got into some serious trouble. Never again.

:coffee:

Boyscout
03-15-2013, 02:53 AM
I used a hardwood dowel on my Mosin-Nagant but I reinforced it first with fast-set epoxy and let it cure 24 hrs. I also reinforced the starter rod. I also made sure to epoxy both ends of the dowel. For my slug, I worked down a pure lead .358 bullet until it was close to diameter. After the first 6" the slug moved down the barrel very well. I lubed the barrel heavily with some aerosol Break Free. It slugged out at .313.