PDA

View Full Version : So I picked an apple and introduced myself to my new neighbor

flhroy
08-16-2007, 11:58 PM
And she has sisters too

singleshotbuff
08-17-2007, 02:33 AM
Very nice, all my neighbors are cattle. Not nearly as pretty, not worth takin pictures of.

SSB

Buckshot
08-17-2007, 03:05 AM
..............Nice looking red mule. Appears a bit fat, but fat's a good color :-) Both our mules loved watermelon rind. The horses would nibble at'em but the mules devoured'em. Talk about the green slobbers!

...............Buckshot

Jim
08-17-2007, 06:03 AM
Not only is she cute, she's got freckles!

Shepherd2
08-17-2007, 01:51 PM
Buckshot - Sheep will eat watermelon rinds too but they like the insides better. Our old farm had a unused silo with a bad concrete base. Our new Amish neighbors needed a silo so we struck a deal. Every day when they came to work on removing the silo they would bring 4 or 5 watermelons for their "coffee breaks". Very good watermelons I might add. The next year the area where the silo had been watermelon vines came up in the old silage scattered around the site. I watched those vines from over the fence from a distance but never went near them. The sheep never bothered eating the leaves so I didn't worry about the melons.

One evening my wife and I were looking over the fence at 30+ melons that looked to be ready for picking. We went in to get a couple and discovered that every one had been gutted by the sheep. They had gnawed on the rind until they had a hole big enough to get their heads inside. Then they hollowed them out. It must have happened that day because when the sheep came up the hill that evening most of them had watermelon red heads. They didn't leave a single melon for us.

NVcurmudgeon
08-17-2007, 04:00 PM
That's just the kind of neighbor I have gotten used to in the three years since we moved here. Right across one road is a huge pasture full of horses. A short walk down the other road takes us to another place which is like a petting zoo, well stocked with burros and goats. Sure beats California where our previously quiet neighborhood filled up with illegals who parked on the lawns and had loud parties on weekend nights.