PDA

View Full Version : Hand Carved Duck Decoy

Kraschenbirn
08-16-2007, 11:12 PM
Hey guys...

This one's kinda off-the-wall but with all the varied expertise hangin' out here, I thought somebody might be able to, at least, point me in the right direction.

My wife is Director of Operations for the YMCA at a major university and they're preparing for their annual campus garage sale. This afternoon a very nice hand-carved duck decoy turned up in a box of knick-knacks dropped off by an older alumni. (You wouldn't believe some of the stuff that has shown up there...I've financed, at least one gun buying off the Y's annual sale and reselling on fleaBay.)

Decoy is a mallard hen in mint condition, signed by "P Korman" and originally marketed (I think) by "the Hadley Companies."

Anyone have any idea of the value of this decoy...or any idea where I could research its value on my own. I'm not looking to buy the piece for myself, but I suspect it's way too valuable for the Y to set out on a table of artsy-fartsy wildlife prints and mass-produced ceramic cats, tagged for $1 or $2 each. Can provide pics via e-mail if anyone would like a look at it.

Bill

waksupi
08-17-2007, 01:13 AM
I don't know a darned thing about them, but I would ask you to put a bid of $40 in for me, if it comes up for that, or less. I'd like it on the bookshelf.

Bret4207
08-17-2007, 11:59 AM
Pretty sure that if you google "decoy collecting sites" or something like that you'll get tossed in the right direction. Friend on mine makes handbuilt cork working decoys for use along the St Lawrence. Quite an industry there.

Kraschenbirn
08-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Waksupi...

I wasn't trying to sell the decoy here but do appreciate the offer. I've put a tag on it for $40 (in my name) so that one of our always helpful (but sometimes ill-informed) volunteers doesn't sell it for the first $5.00 offer that comes along. (I once saw a truly "vintage" model ship kit...basswood hull, solid brass fittings, silk sails...marked down to $1.00 at one of these fundraisers because the box was "damaged" and the volunteer tagging didn't think it would sell for any more than that.) If I get it for that price, it's yours with the thanks of the YMCA volunteers and staff.

Bill

waksupi
08-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Kind of like a piece of Hopi pottery I bought at auction some years ago. The auctioneer had passed over it, because it was broken. Protests came from several areas of the auction house. All the pieces were there, and I had to do some serious bidding to get it.

GSM
08-17-2007, 02:34 PM
If that's a picture of it, $40 would be a good buy.

shooter575
08-17-2007, 03:15 PM
I dont like eating duck,I quit shooting them many years ago.But I do love carved duck decoys,paintings and the like.When I cant shoot anymore I think carving ducks would be a nice passtime
That is a nice duck.