PDA

View Full Version : PC Gun options.

bryonbush
03-12-2013, 10:39 PM
so in the PC bullets, Royokox3 made a comment about the static charge being weak with his craftsman gun. I was wondering the same thing today as well because i noticed that the more bullets you have on a tray, the more work it takes to coat the bullets. never have PC'd anything in my life before this, i thought we could have a thread about the tools out there.
SOoo, my question to you guys is:
1) what types of affordable guns are out there, both electirc and air powered.
2) is there a way to increase your static charge?

popper
03-14-2013, 03:44 PM
byron - it is not the number on the tray but the closeness of them. The tray and CBs are grounded. The powder is charged. The air pressure floats the powder over the CBs and the powder is attracted to the CBs. The powder retains charge even though it is on the CBs. The charged powder is not greatly attracted to the charged powder already on the CBs (actually somewhat repelled). If you are using a plate to mount the CBs, powder on the plate will also repel powder trying to coat the CBs. It's called shadowing and some expensive guns ($$$) are designed to reduce the effect by varying the charge voltage. There are some DIY designs using old TV flyback transformers to make your own. I don't see any value in doing that, just find the spacing and air pressure that works. I've never PC before either but am having success with how I do it. Remember to not let it spark when getting too close - that could destroy the charge generator. Someone heare posted that they thought hot CBs coated better. Possibly because the heat is removing charge in the powder already on the CBs? Maybe cause the heat makes the powder stick better? Don't know cause I haven't tried it.

bayjoe
03-14-2013, 11:02 PM
I bought my Powder Coating gun from Harbor Freight, the gun and 2 containers of paint was 85.00. I am only starting out but I find the gun easy to use and it does a good job coating bullets. It has lots of static electricity, the thing will lite you up like a Gallegor Fence charger if you get to close.

bryonbush
03-15-2013, 12:45 AM
im using the Craftsman one and pre heating my bullets while i set the gun up. ive been spacing them out by staggering them. first row is 7 wide, then 6, with the 6 an inch back and inbetween the first 7. _-_-_ like this. that helped but i was just curious as to know if there were guns that may be better than the other. i like the Craftsman one due to the simplicity or not having to get out the air compressor.

xyankeeworkshop
03-18-2013, 12:53 PM
I'm pretty well convinced both by experience and by talking to one of my metalworking/ powdercoating vendors at work that FOR SMALL PARTS grounding them to the gun is nice, but not neccessary. He just heats them up at baking temperature, pulls them out of the oven, and coats them quickly. The powder particles will immediately adhere to a 350-400 degree metallic surface upon contact.

popper
03-18-2013, 04:35 PM
I tried the heat method on some not quite coated completely, it seems to work but on these I got a much heavier coat. Tried some with heat & static, worked a little better.