PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with rough LC9 barrel

gefiltephish
03-12-2013, 06:55 PM
I picked up a new LC9 about a month ago at the range. I fired some WWB through it that night, brought it home and cleaned it up real nice. Didn't notice anything unusual other than the rough barrel surface. Next time out, I fired a bunch of cast work-up loads which leaded the barrel horribly - the whole length. Took me quite a while and a lot of scrubbing to get it cleaned out. Over the next two trips I fired up to 40 cast firelap bullets with LBT compound. Barrel still looks very rough. Next time out it leaded up badly again. I tried some montana gold cartridges I had made up a few years ago for my XD9, just a few mags. I was shocked to see gold streaks along both the leading and trailing groove edges. This past weekend I made up 3 mags of XTP work-ups with Blue Dot, resulting in lots of copper streaking, again full length.

I figure it's time to call Ruger (on Friday my day off), but I figure I'd ask the experts here in the mean time for suggestions as to what's going on. The roughness I'm talking about follows the grooves and lands...looks like they used a disk harrow to machine it out. In complete contrast, my Smith's have a mirror like finish. Well, except the latest one at the forcing cone...that will be another post.

Randy C
03-12-2013, 07:00 PM
Don’t tell Ruger that you reload or shot reloads through it that voids the warranty, we have sent several guns in to get them fixed no charge.

somedude101
03-12-2013, 07:11 PM
I think all Lc9's have a barrel like that. If ruger gives you a legit answer I would love to hear it.

gefiltephish
03-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Don’t tell Ruger that you reload or shot reloads through it that voids the warranty, we have sent several guns in to get them fixed no charge.

Do they put good barrels in 'em then? Why don't they just put good barrels in in the first place? If I knew they were this bad I never would have bought it. What in the world do reloads have to do with the warranty?

gefiltephish
03-12-2013, 10:39 PM
So does everyone have this problem, even with jackets? I've only been at this for about 4 years now, but this is the first I've seen anything this bad.

<edit>I wonder, since the barrel slugs at .357 and jackets are only .355 if that is the problem?</edit>

As bad as my XD9 is with lead, at least it'll shoot jackets all day long without a whimper. Sheesh.

Randy C
03-13-2013, 09:21 AM
So does everyone have this problem, even with jackets? I've only been at this for about 4 years now, but this is the first I've seen anything this bad.

<edit>I wonder, since the barrel slugs at .357 and jackets are only .355 if that is the problem?</edit>

As bad as my XD9 is with lead, at least it'll shoot jackets all day long without a whimper. Sheesh.

We have sent sever Rugers in for service and I think people with very little to no experience reloading has caused a lot of problems for them they came outright and said if you use reloads it voids the warranty we don’t tell them, it is that simple. The hassle of shipping sucks. They always give good service, there are way too many variables involved with Any and Everybody reloading from size of bullet to powder and resizing. I think they replaced the barrel on the LC9 we shoot I can’t keep up I don’t even know the names of what I’m shooting I like revolvers easier for me to clean . I agree every now and then you get a gun that should not of went out the door makes you wonder about some policies gun companies have.

I have not looked up what size you need for your barrel someone will help you here .

TCLouis
03-19-2013, 12:01 AM
I bought one of the newer Charter Arms SS Bulldogs some years ago.

That barrel looked like it was threaded.

Gauled out chunks missing too.

Sent back for a new barrel first thing.

Skrenos
03-19-2013, 08:52 PM
It's a myth that using reloads will void your warranty. The Magnuson Moss warranty act prevents that. It's the same act that prevents an auto manufacturer from voiding your warranty because you didnt use their oil filters, or take your car to their approved dealer list to get your oil changed. They can refuse to warranty a specific part (the engine) if, through your actions, it becomes damaged (you changed the oil filter, but forgot to put oil in the engine, and ran it). They must warranty the rest of the parts that are not related to the issue (they cant refuse to warranty a brake problem due to an unrelated engine problem). So, reloads cant void your warranty unless it can be shown that the reloads caused damage, and even then, the burden of proof is on the warrantor.

Now, to the point and the fun part. Ruger has no warranty. That's right. No warranty. They DO offer a guarantee of merchantability, which means that when they sell you a Blackhawk, it will function to the bare minimum to be considered a Blackhawk, and be safe to fire. Different state laws may change this and have "implied warranties", so check your state laws. ...but, Ruger does offer service and can refuse service. They offer this service to please their customer base... but they dont have to.