PDA

View Full Version : Never got serious about casting 22's but..........

FLHTC
03-12-2013, 06:43 PM
i now enjoy it immensely. Phooy on hoarders. 63838

TheCelt
03-12-2013, 06:58 PM
What mold did you cast those with???? Good lookin Boolits!!!

FLHTC
03-12-2013, 07:20 PM
An RCBS 22-55
Thanks, they shoot good too. I load them over 18 grains of 3031 in my 223 Contender

Iowa Fox
03-12-2013, 07:39 PM
Nice looking job on those.

**oneshot**
03-12-2013, 08:49 PM
Nice looking boolits. I thought at first they were the 221 clone like I have.

beagle
03-12-2013, 11:54 PM
Nice looking bullets. Only thing is those small GCs drive old fumbly fingers and poor eyesight nuts./beagle

FLHTC
03-13-2013, 06:42 AM
Nice looking bullets. Only thing is those small GCs drive old fumbly fingers and poor eyesight nuts./beagle

The price of jacketed eases that somewhat. Im real close to going "Silver" exclusively.

wch
03-13-2013, 09:33 AM
Beagle:
NOE sells a tool to help those of us with "fumbly fingers and poor eyesight"; I use one and it works well.

FLHTC
03-13-2013, 10:42 AM
I use surgical gloves with small calibers like this, especially when seating checks and bullets

fish0123
03-13-2013, 10:46 AM
I use that same mold for .223 in my S&W mp15, I really like the design of this boolit. If you really want to save, get a freechex 3 in .224 and make gas checks out of roof flashing.

SlippShodd
03-13-2013, 10:53 AM
I recently bought the 3-hole NOE 225-55 as my intro to casting for the .223, when 1000 fmj "pulls" rocketed to $130. You are correct that the pain of assembly is eased when considering that alternative.
What mold throws the '42 Merc dime? I gotta get me one of those... :)

mike

EMC45
03-13-2013, 10:58 AM
Great looking bullet!!

Screwbolts
03-13-2013, 11:00 AM
Check out the NOE version of this boolit in the VS section and the 75 gr Mihec group buy in the GB section I am on the list for 75 gr. Have the 65 MiHec ans Noes 225-55.

FLHTC
03-13-2013, 01:49 PM
What mold throws the '42 Merc dime? I gotta get me one of those... :)

mike

Wouldn't that be sweet?

SlippShodd
03-13-2013, 08:25 PM
Wouldn't that be sweet?

Or maybe this...

**oneshot**
03-13-2013, 08:32 PM
For those of us that check'em. A primer flipper tray works great on 22 caliber checks. I flip them on the tray, turn it over on the lid, them turn them back over onto a backer board. Start them, then seat them on the press.

paul h
03-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Will all the scarcity of componets casting 22 bullets makes sense. It used to be something I couldn't bet excited about, but I think a 22cf mold is on my short list.

The problem is 22 gas checks seem to be unobtanium [smilie=b:

SlippShodd
03-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Will all the scarcity of componets casting 22 bullets makes sense. It used to be something I couldn't bet excited about, but I think a 22cf mold is on my short list.

The problem is 22 gas checks seem to be unobtanium [smilie=b:

Got some from Blammer recently. Good checks, fast service, reasonable price.
Looking at building a checkmaker for down the road...

dverna
03-13-2013, 11:10 PM
Define "Shoot good"??? 2 MOA? 3 shot, 5 shot or 10 shot groups? Once or nearly every group? And at what yardage?

I see too many posts with one marvelous group but is it repeatable.

I have thought about getting a .22 mold for SHTF but i have not heard of much success in the AR. I have 8000 j's and they should last until prices get back down to "normal", but having a cheap lead option is of interest to conserve my j bullet supply.

Not trying to be argumentative but if the bullets/load will not put 10 shots into less than 4" at 200 yards I consider it a "blasting load" to make noise.

SlippShodd
03-14-2013, 01:03 AM
Define "Shoot good"??? 2 MOA? 3 shot, 5 shot or 10 shot groups? Once or nearly every group? And at what yardage?
...Not trying to be argumentative but if the bullets/load will not put 10 shots into less than 4" at 200 yards I consider it a "blasting load" to make noise.

I'm not an expert... I don't even play one on the internet. My reasoning for trying cast in the AR was so I could get in quality trigger time without the expense of my known, tried and true jacketed load. I have lots of free lead so by my latest reckoning I'm reducing the cost per round by 13 cents. My intent was to find a practice load that shot close to the sights and held minute-of-clay-pigeon at 100 yards, tweaking and refining to come later. The powder load I settled on is smaller also and that stretches the powder stores. I only dove in recently, have been approaching the task in small bites, so I haven't fully wrung out the load, but my latest test was 35 rounds at 100 yards shooting clay pigeons, originally resting on the rail of my pickup bed, 6 pigeons, 8 rounds (needed about 1/2 a dot of holdover), then prone with the bipod to powder up the little chunks of the clay pigeons, which I accomplished satisfactorily, with 100% reliable functioning of the rifle; a new build with a 16" M4 barrel which now has exactly 185 rounds through it. When time permits, the next session will be 100 rounds, at 100 yards on paper and if the wind and range conditions permit, I'll try to put a few rounds on paper at 200.
For my specific purposes, the boolit and the load seem quite satisfactory at this time, and as the other poster said, "shoots good." If for some reason the 100 round test plugs the bore with lead, or falls apart in some other way, I'll deal with it, but I see no reason to not proceed further. Obviously cast in an AR is viable and sensible.

mike

.22-10-45
03-14-2013, 02:08 AM
I don't have an AR..and probably never will, so I don't have to be concerned with minimum pressure to cycle actions...But I do shoot cast in the .22 Hornet & .222 Rem. In the Hornet..a custom Shillen barreled sporter built on an original panelled action Sharps Borchardt, My average is probably around 1" I get alot of 3/4" groups and some smaller..but I would guess 1" average. This accuracy level took about 5 years of experimenting, custom nose-pour moulds, sizing dies, etc. The most accuracy improvement came when I turned up and I.D. ground a sizer die that fits std. Lyman 45..that taper sizes front band to match chamber leade angle. I can vary dia. by adjusting stop screw on press. Bullet seating is adjusted so rifling fully engraves first band as breech block closes.
The .222 Rem. is a Ruger No. 1. it also averages around 1+"..bore not quite as smooth as Hornets so groups a bit larger. This also set up to fully engrave 1st. band as action closes.

FLHTC
03-14-2013, 05:52 AM

I have thought about getting a .22 mold for SHTF but i have not heard of much success in the AR. I have 8000 j's and they should last until prices get back down to "normal", but having a cheap lead option is of interest to conserve my j bullet supply.

Not trying to be argumentative but if the bullets/load will not put 10 shots into less than 4" at 200 yards I consider it a "blasting load" to make noise.

I zero cast loads at 50 yards and im just a tad under an inch at that distance. Of course that's with making sure all the bullets are within one tenth of a grain, gas checks are seated properly and the bullets are loaded to be kissing the lands when the round is chambered. I shoot groups of ten shots and segregate my rounds according to weight. You'd be amazed what a couple tenths of a grain in bullet weight can do to your impact point. I haven't chronographed the load yet but i suspect it to be around 2,500 fps.

Screwbolts
03-14-2013, 06:48 AM
I load 21.5 of surplus WC844 and 844T , from my 16" uppers this is 2300+ using Mil surplus cases, Wolf case same load will read 2400+- same load. this is with RTL MOEs @ 62 gr MiHecs Natos @ 64 gr RTL. I get under 2" 2 130 yards from a standing against a tree rest. I am happy. that is well within minute of what ever I am shooting at. 20" uppers show 2500+ with this load, any brass case.

Mohavedog
03-14-2013, 04:24 PM
An RCBS 22-55
Thanks, they shoot good too. I load them over 18 grains of 3031 in my 223 Contender

That RCBS 22-55 looks real good to me. By looking at the pic it has a very generous gas check shank. I have a old Saeco #221(prior to Redding) that casts one of the most beautiful boolit I've ever done. The problem I had with the Saeco was the gc shank was too short for most gas checks. I had a ton of problems properly seating gc's with this mould. After trying Hornady and Blammers checks both were too tall to fit the short shank. I worked with Charlie at Freechex and he set me up with a checkmaker that makes checks that is not quite as tall. I seem to having success now. I just wanted to advise about the short shank of the Saeco #221.

.22-10-45
03-14-2013, 05:16 PM
One thing about an extra long G.C. shank, besides allowing extra lube, is it leaves space for any lead deposits scraped off by G.C....allowing a bit faster velocity.

29yrsreload
03-14-2013, 11:50 PM
I just recently tested NOE 22-055 in my 24 inch varmint AR15, using W748 and posted here,
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?189808-NOE-22-055-FN-in-AR15

Upper left group on target was at 100 yards; I haven't had a chance to do more testing.
I see in my notebook that when I purchased this mold thru the group buy back in 2011 I tested using H4198 and AA2230. Groups were about an inch at 50 yards with full action cycling with the above gun. I should have done more testing but Real Life interfered. If I would have been stricter in my quality control at the time I think they would have done better. With all of the above powders the barrel was completely lead free.
I'm hoping to chronograph the W748 loads this weekend if the sun and weather cooperate. Per extrapolation from the Lyman book I should be seeing about 2100 fps., although it could be more. I

HDS
03-15-2013, 01:48 AM

I had another of my crazy thoughts last night. It occured to me that a .22cal gas check is a lot like a large pistol primer, a bit larger. Now I've already successfully used a flip tray to orient them all but what I was thinking was what if the Lee auto prime was made a little different so's .22 cal gas checks could travel down the stem and into the seating area?

Just plop a bullet into the thing*, squeeze and a gas check is seated.

* = by this I mean the shell holder, I think would require the biggest redesign since there is no rim to hold, perhaps it could hold onto a lube groove, you would need various inserts for different designs, or something you could adjust for your particular bullet.

I think it sounds cool anyway, but beyond what I could throw together in the home.

FLHTC
03-16-2013, 05:12 AM
Good idea about the primer tray. Ill have to do that myself when seating 22 checks

toddrod
03-16-2013, 07:26 AM

Forget the gas checks and get some HITEK coating, from Bayou Bullet, and coat those things.

FLHTC
03-16-2013, 10:44 AM
Forget the gas checks and get some HITEK coating, from Bayou Bullet, and coat those things.
Tell us why?

toddrod
03-16-2013, 12:22 PM
With that coating you should not need gas checks.

303Guy
03-16-2013, 02:19 PM
I have a RCBS 22-55 FN mold and I just can't get it to cast good. The boolits won't drop out the mold either. I should have another look at it and try LEE-menting it or something. But does one need a gas check design boolit? and does the lube groove have to be so big?

FLHTC
03-16-2013, 07:20 PM
Is this just your opinion or is there some facts about what this coating provides to increase accuracy and velocity without leading?

FLHTC
03-16-2013, 07:29 PM
I have a RCBS 22-55 FN mold and I just can't get it to cast good. The boolits won't drop out the mold either. I should have another look at it and try LEE-menting it or something. But does one need a gas check design boolit? and does the lube groove have to be so big?
They literally fall out of my mould. Do you use a good release agent? I've been wanting to try Rainx as a release agent but haven't had the chance. I have a can of silicon spray release agent that i use on all my mounds plus, i use i high tin content for rifle bullets. A stained glass supply store should have 60/40 solder with is 40% tin. I have about a dozen rolls of this plus another 10 lbs of ingots and only use it for rifle bullets.

Nrut
03-17-2013, 01:14 PM
How does this coating perform for you when you are shooting high velocity (2800fps+) .22 cal. cast bullets??
What kind of accuracy are you getting?

303Guy
03-18-2013, 12:09 AM
I have plenty of tin. Tell me more about high tin rifle boolits. I've been playing with copper-tin alloy but it casts poorly in some of my molds. More tin maybe? I think I have 3.5% tin in it. I'm wondering if higher tin would make the 22 mold work. When I say it won't release the boolits, if I close the mold and reopen it the boolits swap sides but stay put in one of the halves.

runfiverun
03-18-2013, 12:34 AM
check the mold half alignment.
I spent about 2 hours bumping my pins in and out sliding the halves back and forth till I got them just right.

no release agent.

FLHTC
03-18-2013, 08:14 AM
I have plenty of tin. Tell me more about high tin rifle boolits. I've been playing with copper-tin alloy but it casts poorly in some of my molds. More tin maybe? I think I have 3.5% tin in it. I'm wondering if higher tin would make the 22 mold work. When I say it won't release the boolits, if I close the mold and reopen it the boolits swap sides but stay put in one of the halves.

I add tin to a small batch of lead, usually starting with one pound. I have a small pot that i use for this purpose and a dipper. I add a half ounce of tin until im satisfied with how they look and cast. For the 22's im at 10% tin and you can see the results. I've never worked on mould pins since starting this hobby in in the early 70's but am a firm believer in release agents ( aptly named ) for getting them to.........release. I spray or brush the entire mould and sprues and any spillage falls right off.

303Guy
03-18-2013, 12:38 PM
I must give that a try. Now I'm not a gas check person but I do have some and an RCBS lubri-sizer. I also have a trick for seating boolits in an unsized hornet neck. I seat a wad at the correct depth then dip the boolit base into molten waxi-lube and place the boolit in the upright case neck and let the waxi-lube set. Excess lube gets wiped off and that is firm enough for magazine feeding. I've only tried it with jaxketed's and it worked well.

HDS
03-19-2013, 01:36 AM
How does this coating perform for you when you are shooting high velocity (2800fps+) .22 cal. cast bullets??
What kind of accuracy are you getting?

I would love for more people to try this coating in .223, user Hitek in a thread about coating bullets in the lube forum makes it and sels it to bayou bullets. Not available in europe atm sadly.

I am not sure if you can do without gas checks because of the base, you would probably need a gas check to make the base solid and uniform, but skip the lube. Maybe with a PB bullet it would not need one. Apparently it's been used in .308s without GC's iirc. Here's an old post where someone tried it but could not get the accuracy:
http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?27636-.223-cast-bullets

I believe this could have potential but I am completely unable to try it out.

FLHTC
03-19-2013, 07:07 AM
I would love for more people to try this coating in .223, user Hitek in a thread about coating bullets in the lube forum makes it and sels it to bayou bullets. Not available in europe atm sadly.

I am not sure if you can do without gas checks because of the base, you would probably need a gas check to make the base solid and uniform, but skip the lube. Maybe with a PB bullet it would not need one. Apparently it's been used in .308s without GC's iirc. Here's an old post where someone tried it but could not get the accuracy:
http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?27636-.223-cast-bullets

I believe this could have potential but I am completely unable to try it out.

Is there a web site for this eighth wonder of the world?

Texantothecore
03-19-2013, 08:56 AM
I am not at all familiar with the .223 range of calibers and cartridges. Is their one type that might be good for black powder? A center fire with a straight wall case perhaps?

Most of those with which I am familiar are shouldered cases.

Bullshop
03-19-2013, 10:32 AM
I am not at all familiar with the .223 range of calibers and cartridges. Is their one type that might be good for black powder? A center fire with a straight wall case perhaps?

Most of those with which I am familiar are shouldered cases.
22 WCF would be close
22/15/60
22 Manard extra long
for a few.

Texantothecore
03-19-2013, 12:12 PM
22 WCF would be close
22/15/60
22 Manard extra long
for a few.

Thanks, I will check them out. I shoot .45-70 and the .22 round looks a bit larger to me than a kernel of ffg.

Update: That Maynard Extra-Long is extremely interesting. My kind of round.

22/15/60 is now in play.

These and the above rounds are exactly the type of round I was think of.
Wowzers.

Bullshop
03-19-2013, 12:35 PM
22 Manard extra long
also known as,
22 Velodog
also known as,
22 CCM
Brass is available from,
Shroader bullet works
Sandiago Cal.

HDS
03-19-2013, 01:59 PM
Is there a web site for this eighth wonder of the world?

I haven't checked but I guess if you look for an american company called Bayou Bullets you'll find them, other than that there's this thread:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?87768-lead-bullets-coated-with-polymer-paint

FLHTC
03-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Interesting but id have to know what they're coated with. I doubt they'll stand uo to rifle velocity. I actually prefer the traditional SILVER color anyway.

HDS
03-20-2013, 05:56 AM
In the thread it says you can mail them for the msds (jandm@blue1000.com.au) and reports of having shot it out of .308s without gas checks.

Likewise the link I provided for the guy doing 223 tests shows that the rounds did not lead anything even if he was unable to get accuracy.

So I think it has potential and I will be trying to acquire a small quantity like 100ml to experiment on.

Wal'
03-20-2013, 08:04 AM
Interesting but id have to know what they're coated with. I doubt they'll stand uo to rifle velocity. I actually prefer the traditional SILVER color anyway.

We have been using these coated boolits in both rifle & pistol for almost twenty years down here.........but nobody wants to listen or know. :)