PDA

View Full Version : Peep sights of Winchester 94

cgrivois
08-16-2007, 09:56 PM
Looking to replace my useless side mounted scope with a new rear apeture and front sight. Would like to here some suggestions on what you all are using, and maybe even some pictures. caliber is .30/.30Thanks

08-16-2007, 10:11 PM
I'm using both the Lyman and Williams receiver sights and like them both. The newly maunfactured ones seem to all be hard alluminum as where the old Lymans were steel. Don't know if it makes a difference, as they both work well. I have gold beads up front but suspect the new fiber optic stuff would be useful well into the late afternoon/evening. Call Williams for a catalog. They have all sorts of combinations of front and rear sights.

Jon K
08-16-2007, 10:24 PM
Marble's Tang on the rear & Lyman 17AHB on the front. I have this combination on '94, '92, '9422 & Henry Golden boy.

Marlin 1895 CB has Williams 336 FP-TK & Merit #3 aperture on the ear & Lyman 17 AHB on front.

Jon

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l101/Jon_K_2006/DSC_0002-1.jpg

waksupi
08-17-2007, 01:33 AM
I think the old solid steel Redfields are probably the best, but you may pay a premium, when you find one. Last one I got, I believe ran around $80 asking price, but I traded another aperture to him straight across, of equal quality, just didn't fit the rifle du jour.
I have Williams on a couple rifles, and they serve the purpose fine. I just like steel, over aluminum.
Best thing to do, if you have any sight dealers at your local gunshows, go look them over. Talk to the guy, as he probably knows a lot about them. You are looking for good, solid clicks on the settings. Nothing that will jar loose easily, or be easily spun by pulling a rifle from the case. (I was a victim of that, and was thankful for a patient buck).
I prefer target turrents, so solid clicks are more important, as they are more easily moved. If you get somethng like a standard Williams, with thier low profile adjustments, you wil probably never have a problem with zero shift.
I just like the target knobs, because I tend to play with lots of different bullet weights and designs in the off-season, and like the ability to adjust near point of impact for testing purposes.

jh45gun
08-28-2007, 01:09 AM
I have a Williams on mine it came that way and I am sure some will think this is travesty here but I use fiber optic front sights and I really like them with a rear peep.

ktw
08-28-2007, 01:53 AM
Williams Foolproof peeps. Stock gold bead (94 Carbine) and stock post (94 Trapper). Like the bead better than the post. Happy with the Williams FP. If I had to do it over I would get the Target Knob model for the 94 carbine.

-ktw

rugerman1
08-28-2007, 06:19 AM
I have a Winnie 94 with a Ram Line replacement plastic stock that has too little drop in the stock.I want a receiver sight that will allow a more natural cheek weld.Will a Lyman receiver sight be higher than the factory rear sight? Will I have to change front post to make it work?:confused:

OBXPilgrim
08-28-2007, 08:55 PM
The Williams 5D & Foolproof are on sale right now at Midway - if it makes any difference to you.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eclearance.exe/browse?promotionid=9076&brandid=1184

I've used both the 5D and the Lyman (steel) & like both quite well. 5D works fine for just a hunting site that you don't need to move all the time.

hiram
08-28-2007, 10:07 PM
http://www.jeffsoutfitters.com/store.aspx?panel=1&categoryid=67

cgrivois
08-28-2007, 10:35 PM
thanks for the help guys. I think Im going to get the one on sale from midway, now need to decide what hight for the front sight. Thanks for the help.

eljefe
08-29-2007, 12:37 PM
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h171/mikehorst/100_0258.jpg

Here is a pic of mine. I also have a marble's tang sight on a savage 99. I like the williams aperture sight better, since the tang sight can wack my thumb pretty good, if I don't hold the rifle right.

Junior1942
08-29-2007, 03:19 PM
I have a Winnie 94 with a Ram Line replacement plastic stock that has too little drop in the stock.I want a receiver sight that will allow a more natural cheek weld.Will a Lyman receiver sight be higher than the factory rear sight? Will I have to change front post to make it work?:confused:I have the same rifle setup, and a Williams 5D rear and Firesight front works perfectly for me. The cheek weld is as natural as can be.

mdatlanta
08-31-2007, 02:03 PM
The Williams FP-94/36 set from MidwayUSA has the red Williams Fire Sight fiber optics front site included with the apature rear sight. Check out the Midway link OBXPilgrim posted. Also, see the info from the Midway site pasted below...

I just ordered the same setup from Brownells. Seems like it will work great. MUCH better than the original iron sights. I need to go sight in at the range this weekend, if I can find the time.

Williams FP-94/36 Set Receiver Peep Sight with Front Fire Sight Winchester 94, Marlin 336 Top Eject Aluminum Black
Product #: 712881
Our Price: $54.99
Compare at: $61.99 You save $7.00!

Larry Gibson
08-31-2007, 03:07 PM
I prefer the Lyman 66 or the old Redfields myself. Both with a good post front sight. Tried the tang sights on several M94s over the years but they just never seemed to "fit" with me and I always went back to a reciever sight. The Williams are ok if you have one load and stick with that zero. However if you use several loads or carry a small game load with you the quick, positive and repeatable adjustments of the Lyman and Redfield make them the right choice.

Larry Gibson

Jon K
08-31-2007, 03:39 PM
I prefer the Lyman 66 or the old Redfields myself. Both with a good post front sight. Tried the tang sights on several M94s over the years but they just never seemed to "fit" with me and I always went back to a reciever sight. The Williams are ok if you have one load and stick with that zero. However if you use several loads or carry a small game load with you the quick, positive and repeatable adjustments of the Lyman and Redfield make them the right choice.

Larry Gibson

I assume that you did not try the Williams Fool Proof, which has POSITIVE CLICKS- elevation and windage. The Williams 5D, like the Lyman has a slip & slide adjustment, which is not positive repeatable.