PDA

View Full Version : Sizing die question....will it work?

JWFilips
03-12-2013, 09:26 AM
After beagling my mould with one set of beagle tape strips I got it to cast to .362" however it is shy on the opposing axis which is .359" using soft BHN 10 alloy ( with out the tape it was .359" x .360" so even then it was out of round) If I were to run this into . at .361" sizing die do you think it would even out or still be out of round?
I have a "Lee nose first sizing die" which is only .358" so of course I would have to hone that larger to .361" but If it wouldn't help no since in doing all that honing.
We have fired these boolits as cast in my wife's 32-1 S&W (38 S&W) and they shoot well & get no leading ( Chamber throats are .361") but I did get a lot of carbon in one area on the fire cases thought maybe that was because the boolits were that much out of round

Charlie Two Tracks
03-12-2013, 12:22 PM
My experience with my lead is that they won't round even. I put them through the LEE die, base first. That way you aren't leaving a skirt around the base of the boolit where it is wide to begin with. I don't know if you will be able to use the boolits as dropped. Be careful when honing out those die. It can change quick. YRMV

leftiye
03-13-2013, 06:43 AM
Try lapping, and Beagling. The lapping usually makes boolits that are wider across the mold face than they are deep through the middle, just opposite of the beagling. Should cancel out, and make round boolits, or maybe round enough to straighten out with the sizer.

I can remember sending molds back to Lyman because they were .360" dia. Gave them much hell because I wanted round, .358" dia. boolits. I did get them eventually, and they did fit my .357" groove revolver perfectly. I'd probly just use the 360s nowadays. My .44s both need .432" boolits.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-13-2013, 07:39 AM
After beagling my mould with one set of beagle tape strips I got it to cast to .362" however it is shy on the opposing axis which is .359" using soft BHN 10 alloy ( with out the tape it was .359" x .360" so even then it was out of round) If I were to run this into . at .361" sizing die do you think it would even out or still be out of round?
I have a "Lee nose first sizing die" which is only .358" so of course I would have to hone that larger to .361" but If it wouldn't help no since in doing all that honing.
We have fired these boolits as cast in my wife's 32-1 S&W (38 S&W) and they shoot well & get no leading ( Chamber throats are .361") but I did get a lot of carbon in one area on the fire cases thought maybe that was because the boolits were that much out of round

I assume you are meaning "cylinder throats" If so, you could push one of your beagled boolits through the cylinder and get an answer to your question.
Jon

saint_iverson
03-13-2013, 07:51 AM
Since beagling only adds length to one dimension, all beagled boolits will be elliptical/out of round. This can be seen even in non-beagled molds at times. Note that boolit lead will be deformed slightly back into round through the sizing die, and some material will be displaced by stretching.

JWFilips
03-13-2013, 08:02 AM
I assume you are meaning "cylinder throats" If so, you could push one of your beagled boolits through the cylinder and get an answer to your question.
Jon

Maybe I wasn't making myself clear The unsized boolits shoot fine except for an area of carbon forming on the cases on one side which I thought could be from the out of round effect ( with the shy side .359" being less then the chamber throats) I thought that a sizer at .361 would round em out
....Since I was a busy beaver last night I honed out my sizer die to .3606" I kept measuring with lead slugs And that's where I ended up after honing & polishing & was pretty happy I got so close. Maybe spent an hour or so doing this ( I had to start at 240 grit paper since I had to come up to .004" larger) Pretty surprised the slugs all were very round so Buckshot's article works great

Anyway after all that work I sized a few of those fore-mentioned boolits to see if they get rounder.....WELL the large side got compressed but it doesn't push the lead into the shy side any that I can measure so what I got was approx a .360" x .359" got rounder but didn't fill out the shy side so I answered my own question

I have honed out my mould some with tooth paste & comet cleanser but most likely that only did a polishing job maybe this weekend I will try some laping compound & then repolish

JWFilips
03-13-2013, 08:52 AM
Since beagling only adds length to one dimension, all beagled boolits will be elliptical/out of round. This can be seen even in non-beagled molds at times. Note that boolit lead will be deformed slightly back into round through the sizing die, and some material will be displaced by stretching.

Unfortunately the six cavity Lee that I have never seemed to cast a fully round boolit. The closest I got when new was .358 x .359-.360" unbeagled

Wayne Smith
03-13-2013, 04:42 PM
Sizing won't move lead around the boolit, just down. Shooting the thing will make it round!

DLCTEX
03-14-2013, 01:10 AM
The black on the case is not caused by leakage past the boolit. The leakage past the boolit is going the other way. The blackened case indicates you are not getting enough pressure to expand the case enough to seal the brass against the chamber. If safe, load a little hotter and see if the black goes away.

runfiverun
03-14-2013, 11:20 AM
or switch to a faster powder.
unique will soot the edge of the case at 7.5 grs in a 45 colt,it stops doing that at 8 grains.
i can get the same velocity/pressure with 5 grs of clays or 6 grs of titegroup as the 7.5 load,only without the sooting.

JWFilips
03-14-2013, 11:47 AM
The black on the case is not caused by leakage past the boolit. The leakage past the boolit is going the other way. The blackened case indicates you are not getting enough pressure to expand the case enough to seal the brass against the chamber. If safe, load a little hotter and see if the black goes away.

or switch to a faster powder.
unique will soot the edge of the case at 7.5 grs in a 45 colt,it stops doing that at 8 grains.
i can get the same velocity/pressure with 5 grs of clays or 6 grs of titegroup as the 7.5 load,only without the sooting.

Good advise! will give it a try this weekend Yes it was a somewhat lite load of Unique 3.0 grains with a 158 gr swc boolit in a solid frame 32-1 S&W ( .38 S&W caliber) I still can go up a few 1/10ths safely.... plus I'm also going to try a Bullseye loading (I don't think I have any powders between the two on my shelf)