PDA

View Full Version : Veral Smith and LBT is alive and kickin'

Nugefan
03-12-2013, 07:22 AM
I've been reading all over the web that Veral Smith and his LBT lube and moulds are a thing of the past. Just talked to Veral via E-mail and he assured me he is still making moulds etc. His products are available @LBTmoulds.com and his contact info is there. He asked me to pass the word that "this old horse is still carrying the saddle" so pass the word! He said his book is in its third printing and is available too. Good shootin' everybody!!!

btroj
03-12-2013, 07:35 AM
And this is something we didn't know?

Is this a post or an ad?

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-12-2013, 10:14 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/James64/Smilies/spam3.gif

LAH
03-12-2013, 10:17 AM
Spoke to someone at his phone number the other day.............hope it was him.

runfiverun
03-12-2013, 11:04 AM
i think not quite spam,not quite advertising..

Blacksmith
03-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Joined in 2009 and this is the 1st post?

Jim
03-12-2013, 12:13 PM
I've been reading all over the web that Veral Smith and his LBT lube and moulds are a thing of the past.....

I'd be interested in where you found that. Got any links?

Ajax
03-12-2013, 03:26 PM
So let me get this right a member was worried about a friend of us all and did the leg work. He posts here and gets jumped on for it being his first post here and needs to provide proof of what he has read on the net. Accused of advertising for Veral. ok

Andy

Love Life
03-12-2013, 03:28 PM
You can also get in touch with Mr. Smith on Grey Beard. I need to get one of his moulds one of these days...

Jim
03-12-2013, 03:34 PM
So let me get this right a member was worried about a friend of us all and did the leg work. He posts here and gets jumped on for it being his first post here and needs to provide proof of what he has read on the net. Accused of advertising for Veral. ok

Andy

Hey, you need to back up, Andy. I never challenged him to prove it. I said I'd be interested in where he found it and asked if he had any links.

waksupi
03-12-2013, 03:47 PM
I don't see a problem giving Veral a plug. He makes good molds, and his book is still in the "must have" category.

shooter93
03-12-2013, 06:42 PM
And there has been several times over the years when you simply didn't know if Veral was still working, he very rarely answered the phone back then and emails were very iffy.

MT Gianni
03-12-2013, 07:20 PM
It just goes to show how many people there are on the net that talk without facts. People who claim he no longer is in biz. when a quick search would find that out. Stick with sites that you trust.

white eagle
03-12-2013, 08:15 PM

Andy

kinda what I thought as well

45sixgun
03-13-2013, 06:45 AM
Some people just seem to have hard feelings toward Veral. I've done quite a bit of internet research on him, and I see polarized attitudes toward him, all from people who don't know him personally. Some are huge fans; others seem to despise him. The fans talk about his groundbreaking work in bullet design and accuracy with cast bullets, his excellent moulds, superior lube, and the individual help he has given them. Others will have nothing to do with him or his products because of his time in federal prison, or they gripe about his high mould prices.

I am a beginner and make no claim to any expertise. I have two Lee moulds, one RCBS mould, one Lyman mould and three LBT moulds. Hands down the LBT moulds are my favorites. I have Veral's book and it doesn't take long into the book to know the guy is a real expert. I've used his lapping compound to fire lap, and been pleased with the results. I've spent quite a bit of time reading on his personal forum and received an education on guns and bullets, but also car maintenance, survival strategies, health tips, chainsaw use, and other things I have found highly useful and informative. Personally, I wish I was the man's neighbor.

He's in his 70's and who knows how much longer he'll be in business. I know when he's not around any longer I'll sure be happy I have his moulds and his book. Besides their performance value, I feel they're a valuable part of gun and casting history. If I had the money I'd order more of his moulds to pass on to my sons.

Yep he's alive and kickin'....but time is tickin'.

DCM
03-13-2013, 07:52 AM
Here is the website, the email address is front center. http://www.lbtmoulds.com/

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-13-2013, 09:29 AM
I have 2 of Veral's molds and they do cast like an absolute dream, & I'm a big fan of his sprue plate design

PatMarlin
03-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Well here's an ad for Veral...

You still have a chance to buy a mold from a master mold maker, that will most likely out perform any other mold available in the business.

I say order one while you still can, and enjoy it when it arrives. When Veral no longer offers his molds, it will be a loss for the cast shooting industry.

Love Life
03-13-2013, 10:42 AM
I thought it was neat that I got to actually talk to a legend. He is a bit gruff and has an "Uncle knows best" approach (I have talked to him both on the phone and GBO), but in the end it works for him.

Which reminds me that I really need to get off the pot and order one of his moulds...

Pat I.
03-13-2013, 12:37 PM
Some people just seem to have hard feelings toward Veral. I've done quite a bit of internet research on him, and I see polarized attitudes toward him, all from people who don't know him personally. Some are huge fans; others seem to despise him. The fans talk about his groundbreaking work in bullet design and accuracy with cast bullets, his excellent moulds, superior lube, and the individual help he has given them. Others will have nothing to do with him or his products because of his time in federal prison, or they gripe about his high mould prices.

Veral never struck me as the kind of guy who puts much stock in what people think of him but he does make a fine mould.

JeffinNZ
03-13-2013, 04:56 PM
Veral never struck me as the kind of guy who puts much stock in what people think of him but he does make a fine mould.

Hard to argue with success.

I'd rather deal with a 'gruff' that knew what he was doing than some smooth talker who did have glue.

Veral has had a checkered past with the likes of IRS and some judge him for that. Such is life.

AkMike
03-14-2013, 02:41 AM

Andy

You have to admit that it's quite a bit on the odd side to hide in the wings w/o posting anything for 4 years and suddenly come up with that post.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
04-05-2013, 01:34 PM
Spoke with Veral today and he was nothing but pleasant. At points he cracked me up, explaining how he is so hard-headed. He was very willing to share his knowledge and told me I needed to read his book. Just talking to him for 15 minutes or so I can tell this guy knows his stuff!