PDA

View Full Version : Note to self: Don't cast with cold gusty winds.......

TheDoctor
03-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Was sizing some 44's that I had cast, and noticed my reject rate was REAL high. About 7 out of 10 had to be tossed back into the remelt pile. One side of the bullet would be beautiful, light frosting and sharp corners. The other side would be shiny with rounded corners, and occasionally some wrinkles. Was trying to figure out what had happened. Then I remembered what the day was like the last time I cast. Gusting winds, fairly cold. Well, cold for here..... Guess the wind was enough to chill one side of the mold. Never saw a boolit that looked like these before.

Goatwhiskers
03-11-2013, 04:20 PM
When I got back into casting I had bought a RD 6 cavity mold. Went outside on a right chilly day that I figured would be great for standing over a pot of lead. Was using a iron pot and a ladle, I would pour, turn away from the pot and break the sprue. Only did a few when the sprue handle snapped. Figured out that the sprue was hardening too quickly, been doing everything inside since (bought an electric pot) and never had another problem. For those who have broken handles on the 6-banger Lee molds, I gas welded mine with 5% nickel rod. GW

Boyscout
03-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Had a new Lyman 429250 hp mould I had to try out and I got 4 in about 30 minutes. I gave up too! I have a new Lee 401 175gn TC and I didn't even try to get that one going.

km101
03-11-2013, 07:15 PM
The sprue handle on the 6 cavity is pot metal. I have broken two in 2 months. Lee doesnt even ask questions when you call. They just ask for your address. I really wish they would do something about them! PITA