PDA

View Full Version : 16 tons

Jim
03-11-2013, 03:06 PM
No, not lead, stone.

We had 16 tons of stone delivered this morning to stone the drive around the house. My shootin' buddy came over with his tractor and helped me move it. He moved the stone from the two piles, dumped it and I raked it out.

He came over in late November of last year and widened the drive. The soil was relocated and used to build my new berm.

This is the finished job. We moved and raked out 16 tons of stone in just under 3 hours. I'm beat!

Alvarez Kelly
03-11-2013, 03:09 PM
I thought this was going to be a story about coal mining. 16 tons, and whatta ya get?

snuffy
03-11-2013, 03:11 PM
"He loaded 16 tons of #9 coal, the straw boss said well bless my soul." Who was the straw boss, Janet?

Looks good!:bigsmyl2:

**oneshot**
03-11-2013, 04:31 PM
another day older and deeper in debt! oh wait that started when I joined here.

BruceB
03-11-2013, 05:01 PM
This has long been a favorite song of mine.

For the VERY BEST version I have EVER heard, go to you-tube and search for "platters sixteen tons 1988".

The singer makes Tennessee Ernie sound like an amateur....and Ernie is good!

JeffinNZ
03-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Would it kill you to invite a boy over to play on a tractor? [smilie=p:

Jim
03-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Would it kill you to invite a boy over to play on a tractor? [smilie=p:

I'd love to have your company! I ain't got no tractor for ya' to play on, though.

How 'bout this idea: We'll go fishin' in the mornin', shoot some ground hogs that afternoon, then get all drunk up an' go shoot the windows outa' the courthouse that evenin'. When we're done with that, we can go hold up the mexican restaurant.

Sound like a plan?

felix
03-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Only if you have the records: RockAroundTheClock, Ain'tThatAShame, and finally JailhouseRock! ... felix

41 mag fan
03-11-2013, 06:59 PM
I thought this was going to be a story about coal mining. 16 tons, and whatta ya get?

From experience...and well over 14 million tons later....2 bad knees, 1 acting up now, the other needing replaced, and a bulging disk in the back and lungs that love to cough up black stuff...not coal either...dirt from the mine.

I'd love to have your company! I ain't got no tractor for ya' to play on, though.

How 'bout this idea: We'll go fishin' in the mornin', shoot some ground hogs that afternoon, then get all drunk up an' go shoot the windows outa' the courthouse that evenin'. When we're done with that, we can go hold up the mexican restaurant.

Sound like a plan?

But you promised the courthouse windows were mine??!!! You aint two timing now are ya Jim!!!??? :bigsmyl2:

scottiemom
03-11-2013, 07:04 PM
"He loaded 16 tons of #9 coal, the straw boss said well bless my soul." Who was the straw boss, Janet?

Looks good!:bigsmyl2:

I have learned to not offer up opinions on anything construction related unless asked. Jim told me when we got married "just tell me what you want and leave the logistics to me" I stayed inside where it was warm and watched and gave water!!

km101
03-11-2013, 07:08 PM

Sound like a plan?

Wait! Wait! I'm on the way! Sounds like the most fun I've had since I've been grown! But can we eat at the Mexican joint before we hold it up? I really hate to pass up any chance at good Mexican food! LOL

Jim
03-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Wait! Wait! I'm on the way! Sounds like the most fun I've had since I've been grown! But can we eat at the Mexican joint before we hold it up? I really hate to pass up any chance at good Mexican food! LOL

Sure! Let's do that on Friday night when the whole county's in town for the music at the Country Store. They'll never find us in the crowd. Then we can come back to my place, get stoned out of our gords, sit on the front porch and shoot at the cars on the highway.

runfiverun
03-12-2013, 12:48 AM
think i'll stay outta floyd for a bit...

when i read stone i was thinking,,,, well,big flat stones about 2" thick.
not rocks.

JeffinNZ
03-12-2013, 04:43 AM

Sound like a plan?

You mean this sorta hog?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Abby%20Jennifer/DSCN3505_zpsabcd66b5.jpg

x101airborne
03-12-2013, 09:03 AM
That hog looks well anchored to the ground. Nice little porker. Did I mention I have a new spit?
Just dont let that little girl see. I couldn't do that.

SlippShodd
03-12-2013, 10:09 AM
think i'll stay outta floyd for a bit...

when i read stone i was thinking,,,, well,big flat stones about 2" thick.
not rocks.

Rocks? Pea gravel, that. Not that 16 tons of pebbles are any more fun than 16 tons of pavers. I think I'm even a'feared to get stoned with Jim now for what might be involved. :kidding:

mike

Mal Paso
03-12-2013, 10:40 AM
See, I woulda put on the Winter tires and spent the money on lead.

Alvarez Kelly
03-12-2013, 05:40 PM
See, I woulda put on the Winter tires and spent the money on lead.

If momma ain't happy, nobody's happy.

Jim
03-12-2013, 05:51 PM
To clear all this up, the stone was paid for with JANET'S tax returns, the tractor work was done at no charge, Janet's car won't get stuck and I don't track mud in the house anymore.

I got plenty of lead and if I run low, Janet will buy some for me.

shooterg
03-12-2013, 07:23 PM
But wouldn't a driveway treated with 16 tons of wheelweights look SOOO much better ?

SlippShodd
03-12-2013, 11:32 PM
But wouldn't a driveway treated with 16 tons of wheelweights look SOOO much better ?

And multi-purpose!