PDA

View Full Version : Ness 30cal safety slug

Forrest r
03-10-2013, 09:39 PM
I got my mold the other day & cast some of these ness boolits, the mold was a little tricky to cast with but I managed to get 8# of bullets in a little over an hour.

These boolits have one heck of a hp.

A boolit that I cut open to get a good look at the hp.

I managed to do some pulmonary testing of this bullet today & all I can say is SWEET!!!!!

It performed extremely well at the low velocities I loaded them at. I did some test loads with 12gr of Herco (1400fps) & shot them into wet newspaper & milk jugs @ 50yds.

This boolit was intended to be cast with a hard lead alloy so that it would be brittle enough to crack/break/implode into pieces upon impact. I used nothing more than scrap range lead that was water dropped.

Here’s some recovered bullets that were shot into wet newspaper @ 50yds. The bullet bases were found & 5” deep into the wet paper & the bullet fragments were scattered along the channel. The bullet base that is marked “milk jug” was all that was left from a bullet striking a gallon milk jug full of water @ 50yds.

What the newspaper looked like @ the 3” mark (deep), the bullets just turned the paper to a sticky paste in the hole they created.

I’ll be working a load up for a Springfield 03a3 (2 groove bbl) & was thinking about 16gr of 2400 for a starting point.

longbow
03-10-2013, 11:20 PM
I have been curious about how those would work. Nice!

I made a "clone", we'll call it, and seem to be getting accuracy similar to what was reported in the original articles on the Ness Safety Bullet.

I have been loading over 18 to 22 grs. IMR4227 but as with the original, better accuracy seems to be with the lighter charges. I have as yet to blow up a milk jug though!

Congratulations on your first "kill"! I am betting there was not much of the milk jug left.

Looking forward to more reports.

Longbow

uscra112
03-10-2013, 11:42 PM
Waiting for accuracy reports. . . .

Forrest r
03-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Well it's kinda of an accuracy report. Went back to the range today with some of these ness boolits loaded up with 12gr of herco & managed to shoot a 5-shot group @ 50yds before I went back to blowing stuff up. The boolit cuts clean round holes in the target just like a wadcutter boolit.

Me & this boolit is like a 6 year old with a pack of fire crackers. When I get all the playing around out of my system I'll have to put some test loads on paper @ the 100yd line.

My testing equipment:

dbosman
03-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Where's the group? All I see is one long hole. ;-)

dubber123
03-11-2013, 05:23 PM
I missed out on one of these molds, I thought it was something someone had manufactured in their basement, and by the time I figured out what it was, the shop had sold it for $20. Rats!

SciFiJim
03-15-2013, 01:22 AM
I have a pdf file of the June 1935 The American Rifleman article about the boolit. Interesting information. The file is too large to upload here. Does anyone have an online place to put a file and post a link? If not, I can email it to anyone that asks.

Norbrat
03-15-2013, 01:48 AM
I have a pdf file of the June 1935 The American Rifleman article about the boolit. Interesting information. The file is too large to upload here. Does anyone have an online place to put a file and post a link? If not, I can email it to anyone that asks.

Open a Dropbox www.dropbox.com

Put the file in the Public sub-folder

Right click the file name and in the sub-menu where it says "Dropbox", copy Public Link.

Paste the link in your post.

Voila!

SciFiJim
03-15-2013, 01:58 AM
What do you know. I already had a Dropbox account. I had forgotten that I created it.

Glance Proof Lead Alloy Bullet (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/84807291/Glance-Proof%20Lead-Alloy%20Bullet.pdf)

pipehand
03-15-2013, 01:22 PM
SciFiJim, thanks for posting that article. It was very interesting reading.

Did anyone besides myself notice that they considered 2&3/4 inch groups at 100 yards as good back then? Groups of 4 inches and less were acceptable. And this from what was being used as a varmint rifle!

thehouseproduct
03-15-2013, 04:19 PM
Anyone have any loads for a 300BLK bolt gun on this one?

Forrest r
03-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Thank you for the links to the 1937 article, good reading material.

Ya, I caught the 2 & ¾” groups but it also stated that those were field position groups. Meaning no benches, rests, wind flags, etc. Myself, I’m extremely happy with 2” groups @ 100yds, that size group will easily hold the 10-ring on an nra 600yd to 100yd reduced target. That’s the target I posted earlier that I used @ 50yds. My group was a vertical string because of my old eyes struggling to find the bottom of the target with the sunny then cloud cover type of day it was. The old saying “Sun up, sight up” still holds true to this day.

Anyway, I’m sure someone using a bench, rest, & some good glass can easily find a load with this boolit that would put bug holes in paper. Heck I managed to get them all to touch @ 50yds with nothing more than a 2 grooved bbl’d 03a3, a web sling, shooting glove & jacket & shooting glasses for the iron sights.

I don’t know about the blackout but I’m kicking around getting another 30-30 bbl for the contender. I think this boolit would really shine in the short bbl’d contenders with it light weight & hard hits at slow speeds.

popper
03-16-2013, 01:27 PM
So the really deep hollow point causes the CB to bust or collapse on any impact to reduce ricochet?

wch
03-16-2013, 01:46 PM
Maybe I missed something: is anyone or any company making these molds now?

thehouseproduct
03-16-2013, 03:34 PM
I ran a group buy for mihec made Cramer style hollowpoint brass molds a while back. They turned out beautiful but I regret to admit I haven't used mine yet.

thehouseproduct
03-16-2013, 03:36 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=126732