PDA

View Full Version : Gun Control in Alaska

grizcty
03-10-2013, 07:37 PM
This was just sent to me from a buddy.
I am watching/downloading it as I post this thread.

"Good video!!
Its about 20 minutes long.. View of WHS gun show.. must have been at beginning, before upper tables were set up. The view is just inside...is just the gym.. the entry is from the upper level where there are tables also set up in the hallway.. going back into the lunchroom. Thought I saw myself at the show... but maybe not. LOL
You'll like the video!
Andy"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWJ62QBzpeI

rbertalotto
03-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Can someone please tell me what a "Magazine Clip" is!!!!

I sure wish these reporters would take half a moment to know what they are talking about.

I LOVE Alaska!

cajun shooter
03-11-2013, 11:38 AM
It's not just the reporters but people who are in the gun buying and shooting business also!!
Go onto almost any forum including this one and you will find someone saying, my clip for my SIG pistol is broken or in the sell and want to buy columns. Ads for I need a clip for my model 6906 S&W pistol.
Another one that has just about taken over the entire Gun World including the dealers who sell the guns and ammo like Cabala's is the "45 LONG COLT". There is no such thing nor has there ever been such a thing. It is through gun writers and people who should know better that has spread this false wording to be used.
Show me a box of 45 Colt ammo that reads 45LONG COLT on it. Show me a revolver that has this name on the barrel.
In 1873 when the US adopted the Colt 1873 revolver with 7 1/2 inch barrel it was issued to all personal. Another officer by the name of Schofield quickly discovered that this revolver was very hard to load and reload while on horseback. He helped S&W develop a cartridge that was given the name of 45 Schofield and it was chambered in that companies break top revolver that emptied all 6 rounds at once. This revolver was adopted by the calvary for it's troops. This is when the problems started.
The ordnance soldiers would send the calvery units the 45 Colt which was too long for the S&W revolvers in 45 Schofield. And send the 45 Schofield rounds to infantry troops who had the 45 Colt revolvers. Some of the revolvers would chamber the rounds and some would not. The ones that did would only hold four rounds at times because of the rim size of the Schofield round. You have to remember that the 45 Colt of these times had a very small rim that was so small that it could not be chambered in a rifle for a lack of rim size for the extractor to grab and remove the cartridge from the chamber. This is why we never had a 45 Colt rifle.
It is said and with no solid wrtten history to back it up, that a officer was sending in a order for more ammunition and he requested that he be sent the long 45 Colt ammo as it is what his guns were meant to fire. Some how over time we have ended up with thousands of gun writers and people in the business such as TV persons who insist on calling it the 45 Long Colt.
The correct and proper nomenclature will most likley be lost by one more incorrect generation of people who don't care about calling things by the proper name. Later David

Trey45
03-11-2013, 11:54 AM
Show me a box of 45 Colt ammo that reads 45LONG COLT on it.

OK.

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/440x330/primary/544/544894.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you about the correct nomenclature. But I have been through this before with someone else who insisted the correct name for the cartridge is LONG COLT and used this one manufacturer as proof. The ONLY one out of everyone who makes 45 Colt to use LONG COLT on their packaging.

Down South
03-11-2013, 12:00 PM
like Cabala's is the "45 LONG COLT". There is no such thing nor has there ever been such a thing. It is through gun writers and people who should know better that has spread this false wording to be used.
Show me a box of 45 Colt ammo that reads 45LONG COLT on it. Show me a revolver that has this name on the barrel.

The misconception is so bad that even Starline puts Long Colt right under 45 Colt on their site. https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-cases/45-Colt-Brass/

dakotashooter2
03-11-2013, 12:36 PM
Can someone please tell me what a "Magazine Clip" is!!!!

I sure wish these reporters would take half a moment to know what they are talking about.

I LOVE Alaska!

Yup........ it's a paper clip........................LOL

mold maker
03-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Our language evolves, and it's change, is directed by it's users, not the language police. No matter how much we insist, the direction it takes, is dictated by it's overall users.
I'm sure glad we don't still have to speak Old English.
Clip, Mag, Magazine, or thing-a-ma-bob that holds the bullets, we all know what is meant, and it does the same job.
The use of LONG COLT may not be correct, but it does id and distinctly differentiate it from 45 ACP. Since both ammo head stamps and firearms are marked with their caliber/design, it's a mute point.

Ed Barrett
03-11-2013, 03:17 PM
It's like the 8mm Mauser "J" bore. The change was made by the German military when going to the larger bore 8mm was actually a German i for infantry, but because it looked like a "J" it's still used for .317 bore size S for .323 Which is for spitzer bullet..