PDA

View Full Version : Hi, new member here with a question about boolit sizing

eagle55
03-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Hi, I'm a new member from the 49th state with a question that I figured someone on here could answer. I just bought a Ruger BH in 44 Mag and have some handloads left over from when I owned a Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag. Those bullets were commercial cast and sized to .431 for the Marlin, but after slugging the BH today I see it is about .4275. The throats are a little larger as the fishing weight I used to slug the barrel slides through the throats cleanly. Anyway am somewhat inexperienced at cast and I have about 100 rounds and was wondering what the harm would be to the gun to shoot them being that they are nearly .004 over? If it will be just leading I can handle that, but don't want to harm the gun.. Or should I invest in a puller and scrap the oversized bullets? Thanks.

Edubya
03-10-2013, 07:50 PM
Welcome aboard. First, I think that they will be fine. Most everyone recommends that you oversize up to 0.002 over the slugged size. I personally have loaded boolits at the cast size which was two thousands over.
Now, go back and start reading the posted items before your questions because they will generally be redundant and there are a lot of experienced people on here that will not kindly reply to something so redundant as your question is.

EW

eagle55
03-10-2013, 08:11 PM
Welcome aboard. First, I think that they will be fine. Most everyone recommends that you oversize up to 0.002 over the slugged size. I personally have loaded boolits at the cast size which was two thousands over.
Now, go back and start reading the posted items before your questions because they will generally be redundant and there are a lot of experienced people on here that will not kindly reply to something so redundant as your question is.

EW
I know that .002 over for cast is standard practice that I have used that with good success in my 45 Colt and 45/70. What I was asking was is if .004 over groove would be too much as to damage my new gun. I could spend considerable time searching and reading old posts for this specific info but thought I would just ask, knowing well that anyone is free to answer or not. I would be grateful for the answer, but have no wish to ruffle feathers or be a pest either.
Thank you.

wv109323
03-10-2013, 09:07 PM
You didn't mention how they were loaded and that would be my determining factor. If they were very hot I would pull the bullets. What would be comfortable and safe in the Marlin might not be in the Ruger.
Another factor would be the hardness of the lead.
All alone, I don't think the .004" over size would cause excessive pressure.

runfiverun
03-10-2013, 09:19 PM
i'd be looking for the tght spot under the frame that caused the constriction in the barell.

eagle55
03-10-2013, 11:14 PM
You didn't mention how they were loaded and that would be my determining factor. If they were very hot I would pull the bullets. What would be comfortable and safe in the Marlin might not be in the Ruger.
Another factor would be the hardness of the lead.
All alone, I don't think the .004" over size would cause excessive pressure.

They were either Dardas or Lasercast, which are supposedly BHN 16 and 21. The loads are 8.7gr of Unique. The Marlin had a .430 groove diameter and the BH has a .4275 or maybe a tad more but the cylinder throats measure to be .431. I don't have any ammo to try this gun out and the shelves for factory are pretty bare around here. I have bullets on order but need to shoot what I have left over in order to use the brass.

MtGun44
03-11-2013, 12:05 AM
Are you measuring that slug with a caliper? If so, I think you need to spend $35 on a good .0001"
micrometer, calipers are only +/- .001" at best. Unless you have a significant constriction in the
bbl at the frame threads, like runfive said, you probably mis-measured.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=619-3106&PMPXNO=16720828&PARTPG=INLMK32

Ideally, the throats are a bit (+.001, say) larger than the groove diam of bbl. Size boolits to throat
or throat +.001, Mr Target will tell you which is best. If you really DO have a constriction in the
bbl, you can have a gunsmith unscrew it, face a touch off the back of the barrel shoulder and reset
without tension using red loctite. Constriction will be gone. Some use fire lapping or hand
lapping, I have not tried either personally, so cannot recommend.

Bill

eagle55
03-11-2013, 12:43 AM
Are you measuring that slug with a caliper? If so, I think you need to spend $35 on a good .0001"
micrometer, calipers are only +/- .001" at best. Unless you have a significant constriction in the
bbl at the frame threads, like runfive said, you probably mis-measured.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=619-3106&PMPXNO=16720828&PARTPG=INLMK32

Ideally, the throats are a bit (+.001, say) larger than the groove diam of bbl. Size boolits to throat
or throat +.001, Mr Target will tell you which is best. If you really DO have a constriction in the
bbl, you can have a gunsmith unscrew it, face a touch off the back of the barrel shoulder and reset
without tension using red loctite. Constriction will be gone. Some use fire lapping or hand
lapping, I have not tried either personally, so cannot recommend.

Bill

The tightest part was the muzzle, after the slug was down an inch or so, one tap and it fell out the bottom. I am new at slugging barrels so maybe I am doing it wrong, and yes I do need a good mic as I only have a digital caliper now. Greatly appreciate the help everyone..

44man
03-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Something is not right with the slugging. I never seen a Ruger with that small a groove with most being .430". It is rare to see a .429".
Now I don't know about a .44 special.
I suspect the metal of the sinker, it might not be lead or not pure lead and is just cutting at the muzzle.

eagle55
03-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Something is not right with the slugging. I never seen a Ruger with that small a groove with most being .430". It is rare to see a .429".
Now I don't know about a .44 special.
I suspect the metal of the sinker, it might not be lead or not pure lead and is just cutting at the muzzle.

The sinkers are quite soft lead, can cut them with a utility knife pretty easily. One thing I did see that I thought was unusual was how much copper fouling this new gun had, from what I presume was one proof round fired at the factory. I scrubbed for a good half hour with Butch's Bore Shine to remove it all, but that wasn't until after I slugged the barrel. Anyway the restriction (tightest part) is at the muzzle end so I am going to go ahead and shoot a few and see how bad she leads and where. I am pretty new at this cast stuff so I appreciate everyone who has tried to help. If it is indicated that it is needed I might order the fire lapping kit from Beartooth..

Wayne Smith
03-12-2013, 07:42 AM
I sincerely doubt that lead, of any hardness, will damage a gun. Overpressure will be caused by your load, not by the boolit. Control your load and .004" over, if that is what it is, is not a concern.

44man
03-12-2013, 08:47 AM
The sinkers are quite soft lead, can cut them with a utility knife pretty easily. One thing I did see that I thought was unusual was how much copper fouling this new gun had, from what I presume was one proof round fired at the factory. I scrubbed for a good half hour with Butch's Bore Shine to remove it all, but that wasn't until after I slugged the barrel. Anyway the restriction (tightest part) is at the muzzle end so I am going to go ahead and shoot a few and see how bad she leads and where. I am pretty new at this cast stuff so I appreciate everyone who has tried to help. If it is indicated that it is needed I might order the fire lapping kit from Beartooth..
Proof loads do put a lot of copper in a bore and Butch's is great stuff, not as fast as Sweets but it sure cleans good.
Fire lapping will not help a tight muzzle. If the crown is good, a tight muzzle actually is good. I would leave it alone. Pedersoli actually cuts bores on a taper, tighter at the front and they are super accurate.
I have a way to expand a slug in the barrel of a revolver and remove it but it is harder to explain then to do it.
I would just size for a nice fit to the throats.
The right alloy and lube will not lead your gun either, my revolvers go for years between cleanings. Just keep the cylinder pin and hole clean and lube with STP, lube the ratchet too, the thing that the hand turns the cylinder. Do not shoot a dry gun.

cbrick
03-12-2013, 09:17 AM
As usual 44man nailed it. For get the firelapping, if your barrel is indeed a tad smaller at the muzzle that is a very good thing. I have never seen a Ruger groove diameter at .427" either and since you used calipers to make the measurements I would simply forget these measurements.

44man also brought up an excellent point that never gets mentioned enough. Keep the cylinder pin and hole CLEAN AND LUBED. Never shoot a dry gun! Never! I rarely clean the barrel of my revolvers but the cylinder gets a good cleaning and relubed after every time it's fired, the pin, the hole and the ratchet.

As for the original question, if they chamber shoot them. .431" should chamber easily in the Ruger and should also be a decent fit and shoot well without leading.

Rick