PDA

View Full Version : Question about Winchester .45 Colt brass

Kermit2
03-10-2013, 07:00 PM
A good friend of mine gave me 50 once fired Winchester .45 Colt brass cases. I've known the man for years and trust him. I feel certain that the cases are truly once fired brass that he fired himself. He does not reload, and so he gave the brass to me.

The brass has a line part way down the case from the mouth toward the base. It looks almost like a cannelure on a jacketed bullet and goes completely around the case. When I sized the brass it didn't remove it. What is the purpose of this line / cannelure? I don't have any other brass with this on them. Any problems reloading this type of brass? Any information will be appreciated. Thanks!

Tatume
03-10-2013, 07:07 PM
The cases reload just fine, with no weakness from the cannelure. Take care, Tom

MtGun44
03-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Keeps the bullet/boolit from pushing into the case. Ignore.

Bill

runfiverun
03-10-2013, 09:30 PM
it is a canellure.
as you go along you'll see other brass with this same thing.
it keeps the base of the bullet from being pushed into the case.

Pepe Ray
03-10-2013, 11:41 PM
Kermit2
The brass came to your friend in the form of factory loaded ammo. S.O.P. Reloading brass, as a componant,
will not have the can'.
Pepe Ray

littlejack
03-11-2013, 01:49 AM
I have some 45 Colt cbc brass that has a very deep ring "not canelure" around the case. It is where the base of the boolit sits when seated. I think it looks really neat.
Yes to what 44 said. It keeps the boolit from being pushed back into the case in a tubular magazine.
Reguards
Jack

Tatume
03-11-2013, 07:26 AM
The cases reload just fine, with no weakness from the cannelure. Take care, Tom

it is a canellure.

It is a cannelure.

Kermit2
03-11-2013, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the information! I'll not worry about the cannelure, and put this brass to good use. No sense in perfectly good .45 Colt brass going to waste.

Kull
03-11-2013, 09:50 AM
8 or 10 reloads later that cannelure will be barely noticeable.

Hardcast416taylor
03-11-2013, 12:36 PM
Of course you can set your mind at ease about this brass by sending it to me to figure out how safe it is?Robert

Kermit2
03-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Robert,

I'm suspicious that besides testing the brass to see if it's safe you'd also test it to see just exactly how many times it could be reloaded safely. Hmmmmm...

kir_kenix
03-11-2013, 11:19 PM
You'll see this on alot of 38 spc brass as well. Almost all WC and some SWC loads seem to have the cannelure. I covet this brass personally, and reload them with my best WC's and bullseye loads. Some claim they are more accurate brass, but I couldn't tell you deffinetively. It does help me segregate my best loads though.

NVScouter
03-12-2013, 10:56 AM
I have a bunch of this. Its acts like a couble crimp canalure/base. I see no purpose for it considering 45LC's mild comercial loading. I think most of mine came from CAS shooters and some with BP. Not sure if that has something to do with it.

I've loaded some of it 10-12 times with my Ruger only loads. I've never trusted it for the high end loads however.