PDA

View Full Version : Solar casting maybe????

Maximumbob54
03-10-2013, 08:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrje73EyKag

Anyone ever try this or anything else off the wall?

joesig
03-10-2013, 08:56 AM
I have not,yet. I have heard you can use the lens from an old "flat screen" TV (usually available now free or cheap) to do this.

waksupi
03-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Pretty cool, I'll have to play with that. As close as I have got so far, is I have two solar ovens that I built.

Cane_man
03-10-2013, 12:35 PM
it can be done... make a "parabolic cooker" with the pot hanging at the focus of the dish and it will heat up fast... the problem you will have is temp control, but then again you could put the dish on a rotating frame and rotate it slightly away from the sun's rays to get the heat right... also, you would need some eye protection when looking at the pot! can be done if you are desperate, but not optimal imo, perhaps if shth

shooterg
03-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Like to see him try it with 10 lbs. of ingots in a lead pot ! Guess you could adjust the pot to be in a lower(out of focus) heat zone to maintain 700 deg. or so ?

Mal Paso
03-10-2013, 01:23 PM
And just as you're getting the alloy to temp, a cloud brings casting to a halt.

Lots of guys here cast with Solar. Solar Panels generate electricity to run electric pots.

Maximumbob54
03-10-2013, 08:33 PM
I just had never seen lenticular lenses before doing this kind of thing. I've seen the solar pizza ovens and other strange gadgets so I was thinking there might be people doing something else odd I've not heard off. I do like the idea of some solar panels to run the pot. That's a darn good idea.