PDA

View Full Version : Pocket watch.

WILCO
03-10-2013, 01:43 AM
I rediscovered a pocket watch that was given to me many moons ago.
There really is something to be said about the way one feels when using this type of time piece. Harkens back to the days of rugged individualism and less intrusive government. For those so inclined to experience such a treat, there are plenty of entry level pieces at Walmart.

41 mag fan
03-10-2013, 08:48 AM
How many moons Wilco? :bigsmyl2:

But I know what you're meaning though. I've liked pocket watches for many many a moon myself.
Just something thats self gratifying carrying one

DLCTEX
03-10-2013, 09:13 AM
That reminds me that I have one in a drawer that was given to me for Christmas more than 10 years ago by one of my sons. I've never carried it, but maybe I need to get it out and give it a whirl.

Wayne Smith
03-10-2013, 09:30 AM
That is all I have carried for years. My wrist watch batteries have run down and never been replaced. I have my grandfather's key wind watch. I am now looking for a new case for it, it was made in 1877. I have carried that one for the past twelve years.

WILCO
03-10-2013, 09:48 AM
I've never carried it, but maybe I need to get it out and give it a whirl.

You'll be glad that you did.

shooter2
03-10-2013, 10:04 AM
I love clocks and watches. When I think of all the nice lever set RR watches I could have had for $35 to $50 I could cry. They speak of a less hurried life. If you have one, by all means use it.

DCP
03-10-2013, 10:59 AM
I just love old Pocket watches. I used to repair them and have a nice collection
I would also take them on the school bus, not many younger folks have ever heard one tick.

jcwit
03-10-2013, 11:06 AM
Never could get into pocket watches, I do remember my dad carrying one tho.

One of my other hobbies is collecting wrist watches, I do collect those that use batteries and have the tools to change such, not a big deal at all.

Boerrancher
03-10-2013, 11:22 AM
I don't like a battery powered watch. The one I have on my wrist right now is an automatic, and I wouldn't mind a good pocket watch if it was a wined up. No one sells those anymore though. Everything has to be high tech and run off of a stupid battery, that in the event of an economic or political collapse could not be replaced. In a survival course I was once sent to, one of the better tools to have with you is a wined up, or automatic watch, because with minimal care they keep working, and batteries die.

Best wishes,

Joe

BruceB
03-10-2013, 11:28 AM
My Grandfather was a locomotive engineer on the Grand Trunk Western, based in Battle Creek MI when he retired.

His run entered two time zones, so his Hamilton watch ("adjusted for railroad service", it says on the face) has two hour hands, one red and one blue. Each hand was used in its appropriate time zone.

I'm proud to say that I actually have that watch, and it still runs perfectly. I keep intending to put it on a chain, for its safety and security, and then maybe I'll think about carrying it.

FLINTNFIRE
03-10-2013, 11:28 AM
I to wish for the old timex wind ups wore them in the woods , it has been a long time now that they were no longer produced , buy the battery watch and buy the batteries , throw away society .

waksupi
03-10-2013, 11:42 AM
I've got a couple of the modern ones, and it seems the battery life isn't all that good in them. I also have my grand dad's Waltham. It keeps good time, but it is about twice as large as the new ones.

runfiverun
03-10-2013, 11:47 AM
i have had a few wind up pocket watches.
runfives wife seems to think that part of their normal maintenance involves a washing machine and a dryer.
they generally survive the first go through,it's the second or third washing that does them in.
i don't know why she thought a duck hunting coat needed washed anyway.

Ajax
03-10-2013, 03:13 PM
I have been looking for a pocket watch. I don't want to buy one of the cheap ones. that really limits me due to funding lol .

Andy

45nut
03-10-2013, 05:53 PM
you don't have to look any further AD,, one will be heading your way on monday.

Maven
03-10-2013, 07:02 PM
"His run entered two time zones, so his Hamilton watch ("adjusted for railroad service", it says on the face) has two hour hands, one red and one blue. Each hand was used in its appropriate time zone."

Bruce, Will you post a picture of that watch? I've drooled over RR watches for years and was finally given one by the relative of a former New York Central employee. (The West Shore & Hudson River, now CSX, runs through our city.) Mine's a Hamilton, which I used when I worked on the tourist RR's, but I've never seen one such as you described.

BruceB
03-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Maven;

I'm too much of a Luddite to have photo-posting ability, but I'll see if I can round up some teenager to do it. May take a while.

dale2242
03-11-2013, 08:52 AM
All loggers in this part of Oregon used pocket watches when I was young.
I still have a few of the fobs Caterpillar gave away. They had assorted mini brass pieces of equipment on the end.....dale

cajun shooter
03-11-2013, 10:14 AM
There is something about old pocket watches that draw certain men to them. I feel it's the same as motorcycles, cars, guns, antique rifles and the list goes on.
Growing up I saw many a older gentleman carrying one as that chain from the vest pocket gave them away.
I would always have a place in my heart for them. When I started to have my have to do feelings take me to cowboy shooting, I was so happy to see that some wore the old pocket watches as part of the historically correct clothes they wore.
To my dismay my hunt led me to prices that were not within my disposable fund stash. Not even close. I finally found an electronic one that resembles the old RR watches but it's all Digital. I have worn it a few times but the feeling is not there. Although the price of $12 was great and to my disbelief, the darn thing keeps perfect time.
If you do a search you will find the Waltham watches selling in the $600 and up range. Just another nice thing that has passed us in this life of true workmanship that has faded into history.
I just was able to buy me a vest and will wear mine more often, although as I said it's not hard to see that it is a watch that is a lesser made imitation.
If you like them and have the ability to purchase one, then please do so as it will keep that piece of history from being lost forever. Take Care David

Awsar
03-11-2013, 01:15 PM
love pocket watches ever since i was a kid .
especially the older ones- works of art

Wayne Smith
03-11-2013, 02:07 PM
I now have two of the cheap Chinese windup watches to wear until I find a case for my grandfather's watch. Stauer has one pocket watch on their website, I think it is a windup but I can't remember specifically.

Recluse
03-11-2013, 03:43 PM
I have a really nice Citizen watch my wife bought me for my birthday in 1996, but the battery runs down once a year or so and I keep forgetting to replace it.

I inherited my grandfather's pocket watch that doesn't need a battery and I wear the other watch in the picture on various occasions as it doesn't need a battery either. It's a nice watch and in a bad situation such as no power for a long time, it'll get the job done. It's also pretty rugged and durable--still overpriced, however. But the older I get, the less I find that I give a hoot what time it is.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=63699&d=1363030718

I've also found that a cheap $25 watch will keep just as good of time as any other of my more expensive watches--and if I break one or lose one or they just up and die, I'm not too upset about it.

:coffee:

Bad Water Bill
03-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Well I just DUG up the ELGIN pocket watch I bought in 1962 USED from a European watch maker. Unfortunately the GLASS crystal is cracked. Also It is in need of a good cleaning after all of these years.

My F.I.L from Germany gave me one of his AND the chain so it is also hiding around here somewhere. I am sure it will surface when I move one of these days.:bigsmyl2:

cloakndagger
03-11-2013, 06:24 PM
Has anyone ever seen an old gm&o (gulf, mobile and ohio) fob? Ive got an illinois central fob on my westclox conductor but the gm&o was the original line that ran by our house. Evilbay doesnt turn up much of their stuff... we still use pocketwatches on the farm because wristwatches are a snag hazard around machinery.

Digger
03-11-2013, 10:14 PM
I truly forget where this one came from, unfortunately it is battery powered , it is like a pocket watch but with out the lid/closing side , open face and the leather pouch has a belt loop on it .
Kind of fancy tho .... maybe something to wear at a "cast boolit" shoot !
It does fit in with our crowd here ...

DCM
03-11-2013, 10:42 PM
I bought a couple of those new scrap pocket watches as I cannot wear a wrist watch for many reasons and don't want to destroy my dads beautiful pocket watch at work.
Like many thing new they are JUNK compared to the old, I went through 2 in short order then gave up.
Now unless I am dressed to the 9s (or 357s) I have gone modern and just check my phone. :sad:

reloader28
03-11-2013, 11:02 PM
I have one somewhere that unfortunately uses a battery. Have to see if I can find it.
I'd like to find one thats a wind up.

Kull
03-11-2013, 11:49 PM
I had a Hamilton railroad watch for a few years. Not really knowing what I had I ended up giving it to a good friend as a present.

Since then I've tried a few inexpensive pocket watches and there's nothing quite as cheap.....as a cheap watch. I don't buy wrist watches anymore. Inevitably I end up breaking them.

DonOhio39
03-17-2013, 09:16 PM
I've got one of my great uncles pocket watches, it's a Hampden "Menlo Park" and I reserve it for formal occaisions.
For everyday wear, I have a Swiss Army pocket watch. It's battery powered but goes 7 yrs or better between changes, keeps VERY good time and looks pretty good IMO. They're not made anymore so you'd have get one off eBay, about 50-60 bucks last time I looked.

Don in Ohio

bob208
03-17-2013, 11:20 PM
i have always had a pocket watch. can not wear a wrist watch. it stops. my brother is the same way. my grandfather was like that too. now i have the cell phone.

jcwit
03-18-2013, 10:50 AM
I don't like a battery powered watch. The one I have on my wrist right now is an automatic, and I wouldn't mind a good pocket watch if it was a wined up. No one sells those anymore though. Everything has to be high tech and run off of a stupid battery, that in the event of an economic or political collapse could not be replaced. In a survival course I was once sent to, one of the better tools to have with you is a wined up, or automatic watch, because with minimal care they keep working, and batteries die.

Best wishes,

Joe

And your vehicle has a crank in the front, NO? :kidding:

jcwit
03-18-2013, 11:00 AM
There's some of the old wind-ups, U.S.A. made pocket watches available on the Bay that are working and look to be in nice shape for less than $100.00 bucks.

jeepyj
03-18-2013, 07:40 PM
As a kid I always thought my grandfather's Waltham was like him "larger than life" to me. its funny how sometimes the memories from so long ago seem like yesterday. I have given up on a time piece many years ago as a carpenter they never lasted to long.
My brother-in-law had sign in his printing shop where I worked as a kid that I always remember though..
"The man who watches the clock will always be one of the hands"
Jeepyj

cajun shooter
03-19-2013, 09:33 AM
I have a cell phone but I always leave the durn thing in my truck. I have people all the time tell me that they tried calling me. Mine has the time, camera, calender and so on but I just can't bring myself to walking around in public and talking so that every one is in on your call. Just seems rude.
I will give you an example of how I'm not ready for this time that I live in. My wife and I had a very nice 33 ft travel trailer on the Gulf of Mexico with our 23 ft saltwater boat just 8 ft away.
We went out one day and I hooked two 40 lb Red Fish, one after the other. This size Red Fish is not that good as table fare but is very good for repopulating the species. On bass gear that I was using they will strip the reel empty in short time and make the fight last at least 20 or more minutes.
I caught and released both fish after reviving them to make sure they were alright. I told my wife it was a shame that we left the camera at the camp as these two 41 inch trophies would be fun to show how our trip was.
When we returned to camp and I told my first neighbor about that morning and that we had left the camera at camp. His question to me was David did y'all have your cell phones with you? I looked at my wife and had a very long hard laugh as we not only had a phone but two of them as we know about being stuck offshore. My luck is funny at times David

KCSO
03-19-2013, 09:41 AM
My Grandfather would never wear a wrist watch because they were the mark of a sissy. Prior to WWI MEN wore pocket watches and other folks wore wrist watches. In the war it was too hard to carry your rifle or handgun and work a pocket watch for coordinated attacks so wrist watches were used and the men coming home were use to them just like they picked up bolt guns. Since I spent a lot of time with my grandfather i took to a pocket watch and carried one for years. When i had to carry a pager I put it on a watch chanin and IT went in the watch pocket space. Now i am back to the pocket watch and I dig in the drawer for the one I want to carry. I have several old Elgins and Walthhams and a key wind and a watch that winds like a Baby Ben alarm clock. If you intand to use one for daily carry don't get a hunting case as they leak at the hinges and need service more often than a closed case. in fact no Railroad watch was ever a hunting case.

StrawHat
03-19-2013, 01:08 PM
Here is a picture of my everyday watch with my BBQ revolver.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/Jager001.jpg

The watch is made by the National Watch Company in 1870 and is key wound and key set. A 30 hour movement it requires winding each morning, usually as I drink my coffee. NWC eventually became the Elgin National Watch Company and from that, the Elgin Watch Company. It is a big watch, size 18 and built with 7 jewels. Not a railroad watch, those came around about 1893, it is only accurate to 1 or 2 minutes a week. I reset it each Sunday after I wind the tall clocks.

Crystals and parts are still available for a lot of these old watches. The problem is finding folks who know how to work on them.

WILCO
03-19-2013, 05:03 PM
Here is a picture of my everyday watch with my BBQ revolver.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/Jager001.jpg

The watch is made by the National Watch Company in 1870 and is key wound and key set. A 30 hour movement it requires winding each morning, usually as I drink my coffee. NWC eventually became the Elgin National Watch Company and from that, the Elgin Watch Company. It is a big watch, size 18 and built with 7 jewels. Not a railroad watch, those came around about 1893, it is only accurate to 1 or 2 minutes a week. I reset it each Sunday after I wind the tall clocks.

Crystals and parts are still available for a lot of these old watches. The problem is finding folks who know how to work on them.

What a treasure!!!! Thanks for posting the picture.

alamogunr
03-19-2013, 05:19 PM
My dad worked for the old Illinois Central RR and carried a pocket watch. IIRC it was an Elgin. My younger brother got it when he passed away. That was over 30 years ago. I think he displays it in a glass bell. If it is never wound, it probably won't run now.

Watches are not my thing. I would like to have one of the non-battery automatics but I don't want it bad enough to pay for it. I have been pleased to see that digital watches have gone out of favor in the last few years.

WILCO
08-06-2014, 11:42 AM
Bump to the top!

scarry scarney
08-06-2014, 03:39 PM
I have two pocket watches in need of repair. Anyone know of a good place to have them checked and repaired? Would prefer local (Sacramento Ca area), but would send out. Thanks

SharpsShooter
08-06-2014, 05:26 PM
Bump to the top!
\

Thanks for the bump. I missed the thread first time through. I am a big pocketwatch fan. I have broken more wristwatches than I care to remember. I gave up wearing them many years ago. My bib overalls have a cute little pocket just for them.

SS

AggieEE
08-06-2014, 05:40 PM
scarry scarney, Check with Jules Borel & Co. They're in Kansas City MO. I don't have their URL handy but if you call ask for Gary Borel, good guy. He can probably answer your queations and if they don't do the work point you to somebody who can. You can also check with National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors, NAWCC, They're a little clannish about being a member but they may point you to somebody in your area that can repair your watches.

skeettx
08-06-2014, 05:45 PM
Wow, pocket watch, brings back memories
Because of the job I had in the Air Force, no ring, watches, etc on the hands/wrists
So I carried a small ladies Gruen pocketwatch for years

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/MVC-052S1.JPG

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j452/skeettx/MVC-051S.jpg

Hickory
08-06-2014, 05:54 PM
I don't own a watch,
I'm at a point in my life
where I can eat when I'm hungry and sleep when I'm tired.

PbHurler
08-06-2014, 06:20 PM
Wow, pocket watch, brings back memories
Because of the job I had in the Air Force, no ring, watches, etc on the hands/wrists
So I carried a small ladies Gruen pocketwatch for years

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/MVC-052S1.JPG

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j452/skeettx/MVC-051S.jpg

WOW, a Gruen no less, that would pucker my winky hole to carry that! What a beautiful watch & I'm sure you carry THAT with some pride.

Thanks for sharing.

Buy the way, do you remember radio advertisement about Gruen watches??

"Why not get your wife what she'd really love; a gorgeous Gruen"

(say gorgeous Gruen 3 times fast).........

skeettx
08-06-2014, 06:40 PM
Or the one that says give your wife a good Gruen for Christmas??

PbHurler
08-06-2014, 06:50 PM
Or the one that says give your wife a good Gruen for Christmas??

:bigsmyl2:

MaryB
08-06-2014, 11:34 PM
The few times I have carried a watch it has been one of the pendant ones. Working on electronics even that was a non-no so I rely mostly on my built in clock that is usually within 5-10 minutes. One of those lucky people with a built in clock so I don't have to carry one.

osteodoc08
08-06-2014, 11:38 PM
So if one wanted to buy a modestly priced, turn of the century (20th) pocketwatch; what brands, features, etc should they look for.

Ive always been been intrigued by nice timepieces.

Bad Water Bill
08-07-2014, 01:05 AM
A year or so ago there was another pocket watch thread and folks posted many places to buy or have those potatoes fixed.

Someone with more puter smarts should be able to dig it up.

Silfield
08-07-2014, 07:37 AM
Here is my 'everyday concealed carry!'

Needs a really good clean but for over 150 years old it still keeps good time (if I do my bit and remember to wind it up)
Wrist watches wind me up a bit-I have a few but my wrists change size during the day, depending on the temperature, so they are either loose or tight and never a happy medium.

winelover
08-07-2014, 07:47 AM
This was my Grandfathers, handed down to me by my father.

Winelover

reloader28
08-07-2014, 09:01 AM
I picked up a Charles Hubert this spring. Seems to be a very nice watch. In the box for $100. The price tag says $200.
I use it on the weekends or the rare occasion I go to town. Its a self winder or you can wind it manually.

WILCO
08-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Would prefer local (Sacramento Ca area).....

http://www.paulswatchandclockrepair.com/

WILCO
08-07-2014, 10:30 AM
\

Thanks for the bump. My bib overalls have a cute little pocket just for them.

SS

You're welcome and I'd like to see a picture of that!

WILCO
08-07-2014, 10:35 AM
A year or so ago there was another pocket watch thread and folks posted many places to buy or have those potatoes fixed.

This might be it:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?217593-Mechanical-Watch-Repair

doc1876
08-07-2014, 11:20 PM
The center one was my father's father's watch, the crystal is gone, and I need to get it taken care of, the the one on the right I picked up because it has a Rock Springs Wyo Jeweler named on the face, and I lived there as a kid. third one is a key wind from the early 1870s as I recall, I usually wear it when I am going to some thing special, such as a cotillion, or a wedding/ funeral. The two big ones run great. There used to be Jeweler in Granite City Il. and he is the one that re-built them. I think he is long dead now, his son runs a pawn shop in the old place.

Petrol & Powder
08-08-2014, 10:25 AM
I gave up on battery powered watches years ago. Couldn't be happier with that decision.

WILCO
08-09-2014, 10:09 AM
So if one wanted to buy a modestly priced, turn of the century (20th) pocketwatch; what brands, features, etc should they look for.

Hamilton was the popular brand for everyday wear.

Check this out: http://www.pocketwatchrepair.com/how-to/watch-buying-guide.php

osteodoc08
08-09-2014, 03:22 PM
Hamilton was the popular brand for everyday wear.

Check this out: http://www.pocketwatchrepair.com/how-to/watch-buying-guide.php

Thanks Wilco. Great info.

WILCO
08-09-2014, 03:32 PM
Thanks Wilco. Great info.

You're welcome. The part about previous workmanship is spot on.
My 1921 Hamilton pocket watch has some cracks in the porcelain from past service.
I didn't know what that meant at the time and the value has been lessened, but I still love my watch just the same.

WILCO
02-27-2015, 01:02 PM
Bump to the top!

Col4570
02-27-2015, 01:34 PM
Now we know what makes Wilco Tick.

bangerjim
02-27-2015, 01:38 PM
WAAAAAAAAAAAT?????????? No polls on pocket watches?

scarry scarney
02-27-2015, 02:37 PM
http://www.paulswatchandclockrepair.com/

Wilco - Thanks. I'll check them out.

Taylor
02-27-2015, 04:54 PM
Wife bought me a Waltham 21 jewel for my birthday some years ago.I stepped on it and broke the crystal.

Wayne Smith
02-27-2015, 07:50 PM
LOML gave me a stainless Charles Hubert for Christmas - unfortunately a battery wound but I did not say anything degoratory. I checked their site and they do have equal windup options. I still haven't found a case for my granddad's watch.

Clay M
02-27-2015, 09:27 PM
I inherited one of my very rich ancestors pocket watches.. The balance staff was broken..
I got it fixed..but it has too much sentimental value for me to carry it on a regular basis ..
Remember I am a total fool for nostalgic things and old family heirloom's..

bear67
02-27-2015, 11:02 PM
I am like Hickory in that I don't need no stinkin' watch any more. BUT I still love pocket watches. I carried a dress one for years and have several including my fathers which is a Hamilton. I also have lots of Cat and AC fobs and even a Northwest dragline one.
Now I mostly carry to engine and tractor shows where I can wear in in my overall bibs in a proper manner. About 10 years back, I was hand cranking a Farmall F-20 at our local show and somehow my watch and Allis Chalmers D-19 watch fob went flying in the air. I had everybody looking and could not find it--we were in a hay meadow that had been cut the week before. Good friend had a Oliver Super 99 about 3 tractors down in the row and when he cranked it later, my watch slid off of his operators umbrella onto his lap. Was I glad to see it.

WILCO
02-28-2015, 10:53 AM
Wilco - Thanks. I'll check them out.

You're welcome! Let us know how you make out.

William Yanda
02-28-2015, 12:48 PM
Long ago and far away I had one of those-huge dump truck I think-given to me by my paternal grandfather. Wish I knew where it was now.