PDA

View Full Version : Am I a horder now??????

dakotashooter2
03-10-2013, 01:17 AM
I figure I have ample supplies for a couple of years but still continue to buy when I can. Even then it's probably not in the same quantity I would normally buy (less). So does than make me a hoarder.

I also finally bought (at regular price) the last bulk pack of .22 ammo our local store had. I wasn't going to buy it but it has been nearly 5 weeks since I first saw it sitting all alone on the shelf and it was still there. I figured that was ample time for anyone in NEED to grab it and made it fair game. I figure I'll probably end up donating it to a couple young shooters anyway.........

P.K.
03-10-2013, 01:38 AM
Join the club, the more the merrier. ;-)

Reload3006
03-10-2013, 09:01 AM
I don't know some people would call me a hoarder. But I like having what I need when I go to load up ammo. Its a hobby. Its a sport and it needs fed just like the kitchen table. I was raised by my mom and dad to take advantage of sales at the grocery store. I have a couple deep freezers and when there is a big sale on meat or what not I buy up a bunch. Actually doing this has been cheaper than raising my own beef and pork because by the time I feed it have it slaughtered and processed the sale meat is much cheaper. The same with canned goods I do a lot of gardening and can a lot of my own vegetables but again when good sales come along I buy up a bunch. Same with reloading supplies. I allowed myself to get a little low this time around on IMR4350 but that was it and I certainly didn't run out. Taking advantage of opportunities on non perishable items I believe it is smart not "hoarding" If I was getting stuff that I didn't know if I would ever use just to have it perhaps that would be hoarding but having a well stocked reloading pantry I dont think is hoarding. If you are going about buying everything you can get your hands on and paying exorbitant prices for it yep that I would consider hoarding.

41 mag fan
03-10-2013, 09:13 AM
It's only hoarding when you buy it and keep it and don't intend to use it. Or when you buy it and only bought it because theres a shortage, and only did it as a just in case

Tazman1602
03-10-2013, 09:24 AM
............you're SMART. I just went to a local gunshow yesterday. I bought primers and powder from a guy I know who does NOT scalp people ---- and he was sold out in an hour. At 9am people were lined up 100 yards out with Franklins in their hands.

The bricks of .22 ammo I saw were between 60-75 dollars each -- REDICULOUS *except* people were buying it!!! I'm a .22 collector and found a NICE brick of Sterling .22, made in the Phillipines pre-1962 (no child warning on the box) for $60. When you can buy the collectable stuff cheaper than the shooter stuff, there's something BIG going on.

The prices on rifles were simply STUPID. AR's from $1400 and up, SKS's for $350 and up, and last but not least? British Enfield .303's for $250 and UP!!!! The dog gonedest thing was people who were obviously not of means were laying out the $100 bills as fast as the dealers could get them on the tables.

We went to the local gunstore afterwards, a very large store, and saw half the people that were at the gun show had gone there..........and were buying MORE guns. Never seen a run like this and everyone was talking about ammo availability.

My buddy that I got primers and powder from told me he had been to a SMALL gun show in Sturgis S.D. last week where he sold in excess of 100,000 primers in one day. Simply unbelievable.

It's going to be one helluva storm if it happens God forbid.................................

............and all of this activity friends? It's happening NORTH of the 45th parallel........................and there's not that many people up here.........

Art

Charlie Two Tracks
03-10-2013, 09:26 AM
Four years ago, I stocked up for my retirement. I got more than I needed at the time but I was looking ahead for when the money was not as plentiful. When things calm down a bit, I would encourage people to stock up for the future. Prices in 10 years will probably not be lower so stocking up will be very similar to putting money in a savings account. Primers and powder can be stored for quite awhile.

Screwbolts
03-10-2013, 11:03 AM
In 06 when both houses of congress went Dem I got up on a soap box in front of my family and friends. I asked them to start buying all they could afford and thought they would need for the rest of their lives. I also told them then that it will never be less expensive and will be better than money in the bank. It took nearly 2 years and their lights came on for some of them.

Laos Deo,
Ken

1Shirt
03-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Maybe two years supply, and hope that is enough. Don't consider myself a hoarder, just practical.
1Shirt!

Vulcan Bob
03-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Its only hoarding when someone else does it! I like to stock up so I can get through the shooting season with no worrys about components. Im retired and have three hobbys,shooting,handloading and motorcycle rideing. When I cannot do them I get grumpy!

Boerrancher
03-10-2013, 11:35 AM
I have for years bought when things were on sale if it was something that I used. Even if I don't use it often I will will still buy it if the price is right. Just like Number 11 percussion caps. Over a period of a couple weeks when the local wal mart put them on clearance, when the wife or I was in town one of us would go there and buy a couple hundred. It took a couple weeks but I got most of them, and now I have over a thousand of them. That will keep the old 32cal squirrel rifle running for awhile.

Best wishes,

Joe

Blacksmith
03-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Last year when the CMP had military surplus .22 LR on sale I let all the shooters I could tell know that it was available and a good buy. Today I have enough .22 and have friends complaining they can't find any!

As of now the CMP is accepting back-orders for commercial (Aguila) .22 LR at regular prices with an expected delivery of October (I see the web site is now quoting 6 to 12 month delivery). Once again I have told my friends and now are telling you. Next year I wonder If I will be hearing people complain I can't find any .22's at a fair price.

If you're interested here is the link:
http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/ammo.htm#Aguila22 (http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/ammo.htm#Aguila22)

oldred
03-10-2013, 11:47 AM
it has been nearly 5 weeks since I first saw it sitting all alone on the shelf and it was still there. .......

That store sure don't get many customers do they????

km101
03-10-2013, 12:02 PM
NO!! Just a wise and prudent elder of the Castboolits Fraternity! I stocked up when the current resident of the White House was first elected. My friends thought I was crazy. (wlll not all of them) And I reeeeeeally stocked up the day after the last election. My wife thought I was going a little overboard, but she didnt say much. My friends and some family thought I should be on that infamous TV show! My daughter in law even asked my son if they should bring up the subject of counseling. :)

Now I am considered a "wise and prudent elder". LOL And I have friends and family that are coming to me for ammo or supplies.
I love being right! It doesn't happen all that often, so I have to savor it when it happens!

So dont worry about being labeled. They are just envious.

jcwit
03-10-2013, 12:25 PM
No You are not a hoarder, you are being a good scout and Being Prepared. Years ago when .22's were cheap I bought 2 to 4 bricks whenever they went on sale, today I have enough .22's to more than likely to last the rest of my days. I did the same with primers, powder, and brass and lead. I'm set. I'm prepared.

I've done the same with motor oil, I only use Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil one and Quaker State Synthetic, probably have more than enough to last me. We have 2 huge chest freezers full of food and the cold cellar shelves are stocked also. I do not consider myself a hoarder or a prepper, but when items are on sale that we use it just makes sense to me to stock up.

Case in point, we have a local surplus grocery, this last week they had glass canned 20 oz, Del Monte peaches on sale for $ .69 cents, got 3 cases, just for anyhow.

uscra112
03-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Heck, I stocked up when CLINTON was pResident. Just wish I hadn't bought so much Thunderbolt, though. It was no-good ammo then, as now. "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then."

I'm now telling the grasshoppers that they should be glad it's just ammo, primers and powder, and not food and water. Once in a while one of them catches on.

TXGunNut
03-10-2013, 01:09 PM
Not a hoarder. I sat this latest panic out, didn't even notice it for weeks. Have plenty of loading supplies to last for a few years, maybe more for as little as I shoot. OTOH when things get gack to normal I plan to increase my stock of a few items, namely powder and primers. They won't go bad for as long as I'm around and if I wait til things get back to normal the price will be reasonable.

P.K.
03-10-2013, 03:04 PM
NO!! Just a wise and prudent elder of the Castboolits Fraternity! I stocked up when the current resident of the White House was first elected. My friends thought I was crazy. (wlll not all of them) And I reeeeeeally stocked up the day after the last election. My wife thought I was going a little overboard, but she didnt say much. My friends and some family thought I should be on that infamous TV show! My daughter in law even asked my son if they should bring up the subject of counseling. :)

Now I am considered a "wise and prudent elder". LOL And I have friends and family that are coming to me for ammo or supplies.
I love being right! It doesn't happen all that often, so I have to savor it when it happens!

So dont worry about being labeled. They are just envious.

I had a similar experiance this past August. I was the eternal optimist when it came to the race for the big top in the district of criminals but I kept hearing this little voice...what would happen if..... So I put my beloved Blackbird up for sale. I haven't ridden it at all except to warm it up, run gas through it and to and from service checks. With two curtain climbers there is no place for kids seats....Anywho, got my Bushmaster/CMMG/YHM Clone-4, 12 mags, 500 rds of Bronze Bear (Laqured) and a Leatherwood reddot, extra batteries, Surfire Scout and pelican case in trade. Then my family thought I was nuts, we had been doing the "Food Insurance" thing for 6 months and prior to that, canned a ton of stuff. (BTW, store bought meat cans just as well.) So for me it was natural progression, just another check on the list. My Da told me he thought I got shorted a bit but I told him, "It's not value to me, it's peace of mind for me and mine." So there it sits with the BOB's, even the dog has hers and it's ready when we are. ;-)

Swamp Man
03-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Call it what you like but when this shortage is over I'm buying a lifetime supply of ammo and supplies. I have enough ammo to make it for a few years but still hater seeing these shortages.

dakotashooter2
03-11-2013, 04:21 PM
Note: We have to be carefull talking about this. The anti gun crowd may get wind and use this as fuel to put limits on on our ammo and reloading supplies, which they already want.

Olevern
03-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Went to the Cabelas the other day with the following for a shopping list (dream big, right?)
Powder: bulls-eye, H-1000, Win 231
bullets: 25 cal. Nozler partitions, 25 cal. Barnes TTSX; 7mm 140 grain Nozler partitions
Primers: small pistol and rifle
scope mount base for my new Weatherby .257
brass: 7mm-08; .454 Casull

Well, looked and came up empty on all but the scope mount base. I also picked up another thousand CCI large pistol primers, 'cause I watched an employee pricing a whole shopping cart full of them; he said they had just come in and were the only size they had in stock. Funny, I watched and after I asked him for a thousand to put in my basket, people started lining up to get them as he priced them, none of them ever hit the shelf; a whole shopping cart of primers gone in fifteen minutes. I honestly didn't need them, but added 1,000 to my stash. Call me a hoarder if you like, I call it getting while the getting is good. And I could have purchased a lot more, but let others get some as well.

What I found hard to believe was that with a shopping list as long as mine was, I was unable to even get two or three items on it; nothing on the shelves. They had some factory 40 S&W, but no 9mm, which everyone was asking for. Prices were up ($37.50 for 1,000 cci primers, up from $32.00 a couple months ago).

Checked out the .257 Weatherby magnum ammo, it was $59.00 for 20, so I passed. Gonna reload anything I shoot from that puppy, I guess.

Took two boys (early teens) I mentor with me and they enjoyed the trip, so all was not lost. I think they spent most of their time in the store (Sat) discreetly following good looking young women around the store and stealing glimpses when said young ladies (and their accompanying boyfriends) were not looking.

They denied it, but I was young once.

dakotashooter2
03-11-2013, 06:11 PM
I'm not above buying a brick of primers or powder that I don't necessarily need but can use as trading stock. I have little use for small rifle primers but if I have them can generally trade them for large pistol or rifle primers.

uscra112
03-11-2013, 06:14 PM
My Son-in-Law nailed it. "You are not a hoarder until you have more than you need to last you the rest of your life."

This is now my signature line.

LUCKYDAWG13
03-11-2013, 06:23 PM
My Son-in-Law nailed it. "You are not a hoarder until you have more than you need to last you the rest of your life."

This is now my signature line.

I plan to live a long time

DRNurse1
03-12-2013, 07:56 AM
I try to keep two or three years of loaded competition ammo, and components for another 3-5 years. This usually results in a lot of 'non competitive' culls or practice and instruction. But this situation has me thinking along the lines of 'lifetime supply' more and more.

Thanks for the insight, folks.

Dave C.
03-12-2013, 08:09 PM
I try to keep two or three years of loaded competition ammo, and components for another 3-5 years. This usually results in a lot of 'non competitive' culls or practice and instruction. But this situation has me thinking along the lines of 'lifetime supply' more and more.

Thanks for the insight, folks.

Why dose that result in non çompetitive rounds and culls?

Dave C.

edler7
03-12-2013, 10:00 PM
It doesn't matter what people call you, it's only a label.

Try keeping your kid's belly full with labels.

Anybody who didn't pay attention after the election 4 years ago is in big trouble...they are about 5 years behind the 8 ball now.

DRNurse1
03-14-2013, 05:06 PM
@Dave: Being of the human persuasion (though some may argue that), I sometimes make mistakes casting, lubing, cleaning, loading etc. I try to make a final competition inspection and pull out the fat bases, odd looking boolits, split cases, etc. The good news is I am coming across fewer and fewer of these. More of that human-stuff with aging eyes and distractions or more machine-like casting and reloading skills, I am not certain. But, my lifetime supply goals seem to be rising dramatically.

This may be a problem because I am providing 500% more instruction this quarter over same quarter last year. Can I interest you in reloading for my classes???

Why does that result in non competitive rounds and culls?

Dave C.

Dave C.
03-14-2013, 06:17 PM
[QUOTE Can I interest you in reloading for my classes???[/QUOTE]

I have two rules as far as reloading goes.
#1 NEVER shoot any one elses reloads!
#2 NEVER reload for anyone else!

Dave C.

Blacksmith
03-14-2013, 07:34 PM
I'd be willing to bet this craziness has taught a lot of people to hoard. After seeing what can happen with guns and ammo I hope most of you have also decided to put a couple of extra cans of soup on the shelf just in case.

bear67
03-14-2013, 10:42 PM
I was well stocked up on primers, powder, brass, some bullets but a ton or more of lead and then TODAY, I discovered I had less than a hundred shotshell primers. Got on the phone and found a friend the next county East who had several thousand from when he shot trap and traded him lead alloy for some. I don't shoot shotgun as much anymore, but had plenty of everything for scatterguns except primers.
Besides I had ordered a new buckshot mold and wanted to load some buck and ball. Besides that I have a trade working on about 100 pounds of copper plated bbs that got wet in a warehouse and the packaging (cardboard tubes) sorta melted. I told the guy I would get them moved and the mess swept up $20 and throw in a dozen glazed. I am an old Boy Scout and I took Be Prepared to heart--be it food, water, seeds, guns, ammo or AP paper for the inside outhouse.

waksupi
03-14-2013, 11:39 PM
It all goes back to the Ant and the Grasshopper. Same thing.

psychicrhino
03-19-2013, 07:05 PM
The time to buy an umbrella is not after the flooding starts.

dakotashooter2
03-19-2013, 08:51 PM
I do know that once things stabilize I will probably increase my stockpile at least 25%. This is bound to happen again.

Gator 45/70
03-19-2013, 11:12 PM
About the only time a man has to much ammo is when he has to swim through it !

Phoenix
03-19-2013, 11:26 PM
Here is the definition of hoarding. I have several old dictionaries as well they have either no entry or very little of the same.

Nothing I see wrong here. Sounds like everyone in the world before the 40s.

hoard (hôrd, hrd)
n.
A hidden fund or supply stored for future use; a cache.
v. hoard·ed, hoard·ing, hoards
v.intr.
To gather or accumulate a hoard.
v.tr.
1. To accumulate a hoard of.
2. To keep hidden or private.

Blacksmith
03-20-2013, 03:42 AM
About the only time a man has to much ammo is when he has to swim through it !
Or has to swim while carrying it.