PDA

View Full Version : Reality Price Check........2 Firearms

Rick N Bama
08-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Guys I have an elderly neighbor that’s in the process of moving into an assisted living facility. This morning he called me over to look at a couple guns he has for sale.

#1 is a blued Ruger Security Six in 357mag, 2” barrel in all but NIB condition. The only blemish to the gun is a very light turn ring on the cylinder with absolutely no wear at all to the bluing. The gun also comes with 2 boxes of Winchester 110gr JHP ammo less the 9 rounds the gun has been fired, yep that’s right, 9 rounds is it!

What’s a reasonable price I should offer for the gun?

#2 is a Western Field M882 in 22 WMR. The rifle is in ~95% condition or better. It is also scoped with an old Western Field 4X20 scope in a set of Weaver Tip Off mounts. The optics are just so-so, usable but nothing to add any value to the rifle in my opinion. The rifle also comes with 17 full boxes of Winchester Super X JHP ammo, 2 full boxes of CCI Maxi Mag & 1 partial box of the CCI along with 2 factory 5 round mags.

As in #1, what should I offer the gentleman?

Thanks for your help,

Rick

felix
08-15-2007, 05:26 PM
Rick, it won't be long until we both will be in the same situation. Treat this neighbor as a blood relative who badly needs all the "mental" support possible. Offer him all the money that would be required as if the guns were bought new right there in town from the most expensive dealer known there. Just ignore the true worth of the guns in terms of financial matters. What comes around, comes around, and if it does not, your credit will be guaranteed by the Boss. ... felix

danski26
08-15-2007, 05:57 PM
I am considering a ruger similar to the one you mention but a bit more used. The price tag says $250 and I think its a good deal for this one. I just have to save up my weasel money as my wife calls it.

13th edition of "Modern Guns" list them at $195 for very good and $245 for excellent. But the market sets the price as always.

Bret4207
08-15-2007, 06:03 PM
275.00 300.00 asking if I were selling the Ruger, 135.00 or so for the Western Field. Buying- I'd offer 250.00 and 100.00

ebner glocken
08-15-2007, 06:32 PM
Around here the ruger would sell for 275-300 as above. Some shops will price them higher but they usually won't bring any more.

Scrounger
08-15-2007, 07:18 PM
There's nearly $200 worth of ammunition there. If you don't buy it, why don't you list it to sell for him at Accurate Reloading classified ( http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/ubb.x?a=frm&s=518103&f=2711043 ) or here, but you'd get more money at Accurate. If you buy it all and want to sell part, same suggestion. Sell the .22 Ammo separately. It will go quickly at $5 or $6 a box, that's $2 or $3 under what you can get it anywhere else. Shipping ammo is no problem with UPS, you just have to put one of these stickers on it:

sturf
08-15-2007, 07:57 PM
A year and a half ago; I bought a 6in Security six from a friends estate that had 6 rounds fired it was 100 % and the number was in the range of one I've had sence about 74. Paid 225.00.

felix
08-15-2007, 08:01 PM
I will purchase all of the 22mag ammo. ... felix

Rick N Bama
08-15-2007, 08:32 PM
well my neighbor has just called & we've agreeded on a price for the Ruger. It seems he paid $149.00 for the gun when it was purchased new. He just wants his original price back & will toss in the ammo. The gun is mine soon as I scrounge up the cash. He's happy & so am I!

Guys I've looked at the 22mag ammo & the prices marked on the boxes range from $2.29 to $3.89. He's had the rifle & ammo for along time! Hopefully we can agree upon a price that we can both live with. He's been a great neighbor for the 16 years I've lived here & I want to be able to visit with him in his new home without feeling guilty.

Thanks for the replies.

Rick

Jack Stanley
08-16-2007, 08:23 PM
If the ammo is in good shape , why not offer five bucks a box . With the guns in such good condition , offer him top money . He's been a good neighbor and that counts for something don't ya think ?
I bought a High-Standard pistol once , it was a Ten-X model from my gunsmith . It was new and worth the money I gave him . He figured that he was never gonna get back into bullseye shooting so I got it . A couple years later he wanted to get into shooting again and wanted the pistol back if possible . The market for that pistol had appreiciated considerably and he was prepared to trade me for a VERY expensive revolver just to get the High-Standard back . I had no use for the gun he had but I did let him have the target pistol back for only a little more than I had into it rather than what it was worth . He enjoyed that gun quite a bit before his passing a short while later . I still think I did the right thing by him , he got to keep both of his guns :-D

Jack

res45
08-18-2007, 08:18 AM
Rick if you go to this site and post your info on that rifle those guys there know there 22 rimfires and especially if they have any collector value.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

Rick N Bama
08-18-2007, 12:55 PM
Rick if you go to this site and post your info on that rifle those guys there know there 22 rimfires and especially if they have any collector value.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

Thanks for the link, I'll lurk there for a while as I did here, then when I feel like I know some of the guys I'll ask about the rifle. I have a feeling there's not much in the way of collector value. If not for the ammo that's included I wouldn't give it a 2nd look.

Thanks again,

Rick