PDA

View Full Version : What is it

GOPHER SLAYER
03-09-2013, 07:05 PM
I aquired this butt stock several months ago and have no idea what it fits. It was made by Bishop and it is what I would call semi fancy. It appears to be for a shotgun but it is cut for a gun with tangs and yet it is drilled for a through bolt. Outside of double barreled shotguns I didn't think shotguns had tangs. I have a Bishap order form from 1982 and while it shows a butt stock that looks like this one it doesn't indicate what it is for. As you can see in the pictures there are numbers and letters on the stock but there are no such numbers in the catalog. If there is anyone out there that used to work for Bishop perhaps they might recognise it.

LUBEDUDE
03-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Before I read your post, looking at the pics, Shotgun was the first thing that came to my mind.

To add to your comments: a Marlin pump shotgun has tangs, but I don't know about the stock through bolt.

Now an SKB double has tangs And a stock through bolt- but the end is not flat, it's scalloped. But O/U is Flat.

Hmmmm????

runfiverun
03-09-2013, 08:28 PM
i'd look at a shotgun.
the slots and through bolts kinda indicates them
the tang slots kinda remind me of a 101 type,or maybe a rem model 32. [3200]

Bad Water Bill
03-09-2013, 09:01 PM
Might want to check with Midway.

IIRC they bought both Bishop and Fajen years ago.

quack1
03-09-2013, 09:16 PM
The rm29 written on the stock might mean Remington 29 pump shotgun. The 29 has a top and bottom tang with a thru-bolt. Maybe someone reading this has one and can pull the butt and look at the inletting. It has been too many years since I worked in the bluing shop to remember exactly. Taking an average of 250 guns apart and putting them back together, yearly, for about 20 years made me pretty adept at identifying parts. That skill is rapidly dissapearing in the years since I worked there.

GOPHER SLAYER
03-10-2013, 03:00 PM
quack1, I think you nailed it. I know a lot about old rifles and pistols but my knowledge of old shotguns is limited, to say the least. Badwater, I thought it was terrible that Larry B. bought bot Bishop and Fajen then closed both. They were a great source for walnut stocks. Thanks guys.