PDA

View Full Version : Line at Gander MTN: 8:45am

300winmag
03-09-2013, 04:21 PM
This was yesterday morning, was headed out to shoot some clays, stopped at Gander in Huber Heights to pickup some clays found out when I got there the ammo truck come's in on thursday night. O k I will pick up some 22"s while I am here, I was #53 in line. Get to the 22"s that are behind the counter, tell the guy I want 3 100 round box's of cci mini mags, he said no, limit 1 box per customer. Every piece of 22 and 9mm, 40, 45 acp ammo was gone in 30 minutes. I was in the middle of this line. Will not do it again, I will not stop there on fri morning till this craze is done.

MtGun44
03-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Are we having fun yet? :bigsmyl2:

Bill

GRUMPA
03-09-2013, 04:56 PM
Kinda makes me glad it wasn't a grocery store.

300winmag
03-09-2013, 05:04 PM

It only happen's at the grocery when the weatherman say we are going to get a inch of snow. People freak out. It is crazy! When I was a youngster I had to walk to school in 2 feet of snow. Now 2 or 3 inches they close the schools.

MT Chambers
03-09-2013, 05:16 PM
All the big stores here in AZ. are the same, Sportsman's whse., Bass Pro., Cabelas, etc. all lined up in the morning to try catch the day's receiving.

Hardcast416taylor
03-09-2013, 06:28 PM
It only happen's at the grocery when the weatherman say we are going to get a inch of snow. People freak out. It is crazy! When I was a youngster I had to walk to school in 2 feet of snow. Now 2 or 3 inches they close the schools.

I`ll wager that it was a 10 mile hike to school and uphill both ways.Robert

tomme boy
03-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Guys, This IS going to happen real soon to the food supply! Why else is there a DHS beefing up everything they have. Troops can't legally be used against the population. DHS does not have to follow the same rules. Mark my word on this one. Something will happen to the food supply and this is when martial law will be ordered.

Kraschenbirn
03-09-2013, 08:24 PM

Actually, growing up in far northwestern Illinois in the '50s and early '60s, having a foot or better of snow on the ground from mid-November through late March was pretty much the norm and, back then, only the farm kids were bussed in. It was just under a mile from our front door to the north entrance of the Jr. High and I DID walk it every day...hot or cold; rain, shine, or snow...but it was only uphill one way.;)

Bill

300winmag
03-09-2013, 08:58 PM
No, only 1/2 mile, and flat both ways. Ha! I had it easy.

TheDoctor
03-09-2013, 09:06 PM
What's that white stuff?

km101
03-09-2013, 10:04 PM
What's that white stuff?

I was wondering the same thing. Did someone lose a load of cotton??

Love Life
03-09-2013, 10:09 PM
I was in Sportsman's Warehouse today. Barely any powder, 2 boxes of LRMP, and very little brass. They had a couple bags of 32-20, 44-40, 325 WSM, and that was about it.

I bought some decapping pins and a shell holder to trim 38 special. I played with one of the Ruger GSR, but was very unimpressed with how rough the bolt was towards the end of it's rear travel. Looks like I'll keep on saving up my fiat currency for a socom 16.

Ammo shelves were bare as well. No worries on that though. Got a sweet hooded sweatshirt on sale!!

chambers
03-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Powder is scarce, bullets and primers also extinct! Had called one supplier of surplus powder and he said there is nothing for him to buy and no one can figure out where it is going -maybe back in ammo?

Bullshop
03-09-2013, 11:09 PM
Love life
What is the price on that 32/20 brass. I am looking for some. Maybe we can work out a deal.

Love Life
03-09-2013, 11:13 PM
I can't recall with 100% accuracy, but somewhere between $16.99 and $20.00. It was Winchester brass.

Tinner_bob
03-09-2013, 11:15 PM
Picked up two bricks of cci 500's at Cabelas in Prairie du Chien Wi. today. They said they had a nice stock compared to what they have had. Same with a wide assortment of Powder. Mostly Hodgdons. On the way home we stopped at Wal-mart in Dodgeville Wi. and bought our limit of Winchester 38 spl 130 gr. fmj value packs (3). So stuff is coming back albeit very slowly.
From the Hodgdons website (link) (http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Web%20Page%20Buying%20Surge.pdf)

Why can’t I find Hodgdon powders?
As you have seen, ammunition and reloading components – including all Hodgdon powders – are hard to find.
Dealer shelves that used to hold cans of powder are empty. Here are answers to your questions straight from
Hodgdon.
Q: Are you still making powders?
A: We are shipping more powder this year than we shipped last year. We are shipping as fast as the powder is
available. The real problem why you are seeing empty shelves is demand. The demand for powder (and all
ammunition and components) is far greater than the supply from the manufacturers. We just cannot make
enough to feed this demand right now. No one wants to ship more during this time than we do.
Q: Are you still in business?
A: Yes, Hodgdon is here for the long haul. We are doing everything we can to supply our powders. Dealer’s
shelves are empty because powders are being purchased as soon as they arrive at the Dealer’s stores.
Q: What is causing this high demand?
A: The current political climate can have the regulatory consequence of impacting law abiding, hard working
shooters and hunters. This has caused extremely high demand on all shooting industry products resulting in empty
shelves, long back-orders, and on-line auction sites asking exaggerated prices.
Q: I have seen/heard many rumors and conjecture on the cause of this powder shortage.
A: If you do not hear it from Hodgdon Powder Company please don’t believe it.
Q: Is the shortage of reloading powder being caused by Hodgdon shipping their powder to the ammunition
manufacturing companies?
A: No. While we do sell to some ammunition manufacturing companies, we continue to sell over 80% of our
powder to handloaders just like you. Hodgdon has always been committed to the individual handloader.
Q: When will I start to see more powder on Dealer shelves?
A: This level of demand will not last forever. As soon as demand slows a little we will start making headway into
our backlog.

starmac
03-10-2013, 01:48 AM
As much as I love to stand in line, I would have just driven on by. But then again, I have been known to put my merchandise back on the shelf if the lines are long at the register. lol

lars1367
03-10-2013, 01:57 AM
Just remember this in a few months (God willing) when supply catches up with demand. A few years ago this happened; lesson learned. I'm not going to say how much of what I purchased when it once again became available, but I'll be shooting for a few years before I need to worry about anything. At that time, if it's not yet available... well... I guess I'll have to figure out a way to make my own powder and primer!
-Corey

BDJ
03-10-2013, 07:57 AM
Bullshop ---- 32-20 brass
http://www.chestnutridge.com/products/brass.asp

Bought some a few weeks ago.

300winmag
03-10-2013, 11:46 AM
I can't recall with 100% accuracy, but somewhere between $16.99 and $20.00. It was Winchester brass.

What I seen at Gander MTN was 100 ct bags of brass in 9mm,40S&W,45acp 39.99 a bag.

TheGrimReaper
03-10-2013, 05:59 PM
What I seen at Gander MTN was 100 ct bags of brass in 9mm,40S&W,45acp 39.99 a bag.

And that is why I don't shop at Slander Mtn!!! They where price gouging before it was the in thing to do.

Tinner_bob
03-11-2013, 07:51 PM
And that is why I don't shop at Slander Mtn!!! They where price gouging before it was the in thing to do.

I have shopped there for odds and ends once in a while. They generally carry good stuff. They currently are advertising a S&W 442 for 100 bucks over msrp. And the only one they have in the inventory is in North Carolina.

But Cabelas has it on sale for 40 under msrp and they have zero anywhere in the country. and will not honor it with a rain check.

Hence my wife has purchased another brand again...lol

LUBEDUDE
03-12-2013, 12:33 AM

I don't see Ganders in my area staying in business long.

Academy is 1/4 mile down the road from Ganders. Ganders will have 5-10 cars in the parking lot and Academy will easily have 70- 120 cars. Yes, Academy has more sports, but when you go look in the gun department, there are a ton of folks in there.

The prices are much, much better and reasonable at Academy as well.

ncbearman
03-12-2013, 09:31 AM
Once again the wise grumpa gives us food for thought. Prepare yourselves in all things. Someday.....................this will be the line at the grocery store. We won't be able to eat our ammo.

David2011
03-12-2013, 09:44 AM
Lubedude,

I went into that Gander's Mtn one day. Needed some .45 J-Words quickly. A box of 100 Hornady XTPs was $11.00 higher than Midway's price but I bought 'em because I needed to load for a short notice hunting trip that was just a few days away. While I was there I noticed that the price on some targets was awfully high at $5.99 for a small pack. When finished I went to Academy and saw the same targets for $3.99.

David

Boerrancher
03-12-2013, 09:55 AM
Once again the wise grumpa gives us food for thought. Prepare yourselves in all things. Someday.....................this will be the line at the grocery store. We won't be able to eat our ammo.

You are right, you won't be able to eat your ammo, but you will be able to defend what little food and water you have. How many of you are on city water or get your water though a water district? The only thing I can say is you better have a huge back up plan. Why do you think the government (EPA) has been pushing water districts so hard these last 20 years? You hear all kinds of reasons... to protect against ground water contamination, to see to it that the children all have clean fresh water, blah blah blah blah blah... It is about control plain and simple. Want to subdue a population in less than a week? Eliminate all access to potable water.

This ammo shortage is one of many shortages that you will be seeing in the next few years. With out delving into politics one only has to look to the second law of thermodynamics to see where we are headed. It is amazing that that this simple law holds true even when applied to something as large as our very own universe. It is one of those universal truths that will stand up to the strictest scrutiny even when applied to economics, politics, populations, everything. Have a quick look at it and study it for a moment. You will see where we are headed.

Best wishes,

Joe

Blacksmith
03-12-2013, 11:28 AM
+1 on water. Most people on a well have no way of getting it out of the ground if the electric fails. Some have a generator but that will eventually run out of gas. Hand pumps are a rarity and pitcher pumps:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_23499-15649-PP500_

Won't suck water over 33 feet vertical distance.

Make it yourself deep well pump:
http://hydromissions.org/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2012/10/slapshotconstruction.pdf

Here is some background reading:
http://www.wateraid.org/~/media/Publications/technology-notes-2011.pdf

TheGrimReaper
03-12-2013, 01:30 PM
And friends and family said I was crazy for having all that ammo put up. You are never going to shoot that much they said.