PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Old Army & Cast Bullets

tincansailor
03-09-2013, 01:14 PM
I have only been shooting my Ruger Old Army for a dog's age and exclusively with lubed bullets as opposed to round balls. Always use a Dixie Gun Works "grease gun" to put a dab of grease over the bullets in the cylinder even though a tiny lead ring is shaved when loading. Sort of an insurance policy against a chain fire. Then I had a thought... and sometimes my thoughts are slightly dangerous.

All that grease builds up and is messy. It would obviously by less messy if it wasn't there. And yes, I know BP is messy. But less messy would ? could? be better? Is there a real risk of a chain fire w/o any lube over the top of a lubed (2 lube grooves) cast bullet? Especially as the mould I use always shaves a little bit of lead when loading.

appreciate the thoughts. not going to try anything w/o some expert input.

Thanks.

Maven
03-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Not an expert, but it has been shown that chain fires are more likely to be the result of poorly fitted caps than failure to grease the front of the cylinder. The latter does serve a purpose though as it provides some lube for the RB and cylinder pin (arbor). Btw, one way to eliminate the mess produced by grease is to use or make .45cal. lubed felt wads, which are seated over the powder charge and under the RB. Dixie and Track of the Wolf probably stock them.

mainiac
03-10-2013, 08:16 PM
I used to put grease over the end of the cylinders,on my roa,but when shooting alot,or in hot weather,the grease would just run off anyway. So now, i use greased wad between powder and ball.Gun stays much cleaner,and even the hands stay cleaner!!! Shoots more accurate as well.

Never had a chain fire either,,not saying it couldnt happen,but i dont see how it could,cause even the roundball is shaved when loading. Like maven alluded to,,i think chain fires happen from the nipple end.

rodwha
03-10-2013, 08:20 PM
The lube in the grooves of the bullet ought to be plenty.
I've been shooting mostly Kaido's 240 grn FNRP bullet (.456"), which doesn't shave a ring that I can tell. And my chambers appear to be ~.453".

Frozone
03-10-2013, 08:56 PM
I've been shooting "Big Lube" boolits. I don't see a need for external grease with that much grease already between the cylinder mouth and the powder.
I think I get more grease in the groove than I can in front of the boolit ;-)
I have used both welt wads and a (vegi) card. With the card I'll put the grease between it and the RB.

Alan
03-10-2013, 10:05 PM
I think that in the occasions when chain fire happens from the front, it may be that the ball was seated on a charge that didn't allow it to center itself in the chamber mouth, thus leaving the ball off-centered in the chamber. A lubed bullet has plenty of seal.

taco650
03-11-2013, 09:24 PM
I've used felt wads in my 1860 Army 44 with round balls and had no issues. I didn't even grease them.

scattershot
03-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Check with Dixie or somebody and get a package of Wonderwads. These are pre made felt discs charged with Wonderlube and will solve most of your problems.

rodwha
03-13-2013, 09:25 AM
Better yet buy felt and a punch and make your own. Same with the lube.
It doesn't take long to save money, and it's interesting.
I've made small blocks of Gatofeo's #1 lube by pouring excess lube into a soap mold, and then cutting that block into small pieces, and then using the small piece like a crayon to lube the grooves on my pistol bullets. It's more work than pan lubing, but I don't mind.

Baja_Traveler
03-13-2013, 01:37 PM
I used Wonder Wads up until the time I got my ROA Big Lube mould - now I just pan lube them the same as my BP cartridge boolits and they work great.