PDA

View Full Version : Custom Lube die...?

S.R.Custom
08-15-2007, 12:12 AM
Do you gents know of anyone who makes custom lube/sizing dies for the Lyman 450? I need one that will throw a .434" boolit...

45nut
08-15-2007, 12:31 AM
Buckshot can ,,, Hey Buckshotttttttttttttttttttttt!

Buckshot
08-15-2007, 03:25 AM
http://www.fototime.com/5323B9CDF1A9125/standard.jpg

................Like this?

...............Buckshot

S.R.Custom
08-15-2007, 03:31 AM
How much? Or would it be more practical to turn my own .433" plunger on the lathe and hone out an existing .431" die to .434"?

Nueces
08-15-2007, 11:30 AM
As a Buckshot backup, check out Bob Stillwell at www.sizingdie.com.

He also custom hones to larger sizes.

Mark

Buckshot
08-16-2007, 02:23 AM
How much? Or would it be more practical to turn my own .433" plunger on the lathe and hone out an existing .431" die to .434"?

..............If you have a lathe, that's sure the way to do it!

..............Buckshot

S.R.Custom
08-17-2007, 01:55 PM
As a Buckshot backup, check out Bob Stillwell at www.sizingdie.com.

He also custom hones to larger sizes.

Mark

This isn't his main business, is it? Five days later and I've gotten no response to email... I guess it's off to pester my friend with the lathe...

[Edit/Update] Got an email from Bob not 10 minutes after I posted this. I should've whined sooner, lol...

Trapshooter
08-17-2007, 02:53 PM
Mr. Stillwell does pretty good work, I have several examples of it. I found the best bet is a snail mail letter with the die size you want, and a check or money order for the required number of bucks. The die appears in the mail or via the brown truck pdq.

Trapshooter

jtaylor1960
08-17-2007, 03:01 PM
Buffalo Arms lists one at .434 under their custom sizing die category. They are not cheap at $39.00ea. but they are handy if you want it now.

45 2.1
08-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Do yourself a favor and have Buckshot make it the way you want it. He does excellent work.

S.R.Custom
08-17-2007, 03:12 PM
Do yourself a favor and have Buckshot make it the way you want it. He does excellent work.

So I've heard. But I asked him "how much?" in an earlier post and he advised me to opt for the buddy with a lathe option, indicating to me he'd rather spend the time at the range... I don't blame him, really, because if the weather was not as nice as it is here, I'd spend the time to do it myself... :mrgreen:

S.R.Custom
08-17-2007, 03:30 PM
Buffalo Arms lists one at .434 under their custom sizing die category. They are not cheap at $39.00ea. but they are handy if you want it now.

I gave them a call, but I can't use their die. They use this silly die (http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=19071) as raw material, and I need the full length lube hole arrangement. :???:

Thanks for the tip, tho. Any help is appreciated...

Buckshot
08-17-2007, 07:58 PM
So I've heard. But I asked him "how much?" in an earlier post and he advised me to opt for the buddy with a lathe option, indicating to me he'd rather spend the time at the range... I don't blame him, really, because if the weather was not as nice as it is here, I'd spend the time to do it myself... :mrgreen:

..............I don't like to mention prices or talk business on the open forum. It seems a bit "whorish" to me :-). PM's are better. I am NOT soliciting work, but not turning it down. It's just that with life and things that are happening, I can't really quote a real fast turnaround time.

These past 4 days off I managed to finish up 14 bullet moulds (HPing), and 7 push through dies that I had accumilated orders for from the end of July. I really should have been scraping paint in a room we're re-modeling (to keep the wife off my back, not because I'd rather be doing that).

Nothing about making a push through or Lyman type lube-size die is hard. It requires care and a good setup. The really difficult part is bring it to finished size via honing. I quote a +.0003" tolerance and you can blow beyond that VERY handily toward the end.

.................Buckshot

S.R.Custom
08-17-2007, 09:33 PM
I figured you'd be busy, it's that time of the year...

The die part is easy, I've done enough revolver throats over the years that a single bullet die is a piece of cake. It's the plunger I need done for me. And I'd like to have it done to a tighter tolerance than the past few Lymans I've gotten; getting awfully tired of having to keep a bucket under the 450... :roll:

Buckshot
08-18-2007, 10:09 AM
I figured you'd be busy, it's that time of the year...

The die part is easy, I've done enough revolver throats over the years that a single bullet die is a piece of cake. It's the plunger I need done for me. And I'd like to have it done to a tighter tolerance than the past few Lymans I've gotten; getting awfully tired of having to keep a bucket under the 450... :roll:

.............A thou undersize is tight enough. That's .0005" all around (as I'm sure you know). Unless one is really bearing down on the pressure wrench or it's really hot, leakage shouldn't be an issue at all.

..............Buckshot

S.R.Custom
08-18-2007, 12:00 PM
.............A thou undersize is tight enough. That's .0005" all around (as I'm sure you know). Unless one is really bearing down on the pressure wrench or it's really hot, leakage shouldn't be an issue at all.

The operative word here is "should." As it is, the new die from Lyman is labeled .431", and the plunger measures .429"-- the damn thing actually wiggles in the die...

JeffinNZ
08-18-2007, 04:36 PM
I just used the "Buckshot" honing technique last evening and took a .313 die out to .3165 for my Pygmy. Took a while as the coarsest grit paper I had was 320 but a hour or two later and I had what I needed.

http://www.castpics.net/RandD/hone_a_die/hone_a_die.htm