PDA

View Full Version : Deactivating tracer projectiles

Jim
03-09-2013, 09:52 AM
I'm about to receive 500 .224 62 gr. (M856) milsurp tracer projectiles. I do not expect sub MOA groups from these, but bought them mostly just to have something to shoot.

I'm researching possibilities of positively decativating the tracer compound to make it inert. It is absolutely critical that they not light on firing. If possible, I'd like to do this as a batch project rather than one at a time.

I'm looking first for experience, then for good suggestions. If you wanted to deactivate the tracing compound, how would you do it?

nhrifle
03-09-2013, 12:00 PM
I too would be interrested in how this is done. Maybe a call to the tech department at ATK? If I understand tracers correctly, it is a phosphorous compound, so maybe something to soak them in to dissolve it? I may be way off base with that.

RoyEllis
03-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Edited! Duh, I thought I was understanding that you had loaded tracer rounds. Since you just have the projectiles, my previous thoughts are invalid.
Carry on & ignore the old guy![smilie=b:

Skipper
03-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Turn the projectiles upside down and light 'em........let it burn off.

3006guns
03-09-2013, 01:55 PM
I feel your pain..........the only .224 projectiles I could find were those tracers from Graf's. I considered it. Brother, I considered it.

If you pull them and then "light them off", the heat might affect the jacket material I would think...so shooting them into some sort of water container might be your only option. If the trace material is white phosphorus (doubtful) it will continue to burn though.

You might just have to find a non flammable backstop and shoot them as is, because believe me they will start fires!

khmer6
03-09-2013, 02:00 PM
He's not pulling bullets. I had thousands of these and did quite a few stupid things. If you throw them in a camp fire it lights them off. It just leaves burn marks on the jacket. You can also make a makeshift holder in a 2x4 place them upside down. Puncture the base and use and eye drop with some white vinegar to deactivate. Test a couple in a really hot fire. If they are a time they will hiss like a missile launching
I tried lighting them with a match and lighter before. Just didn't get hot enough. Camp fire works good for a large batch

Chicken Thief
03-09-2013, 04:43 PM
Heres a load of info that will help absolutly nothing!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracer_ammunition

A brainfart from the fat ugly stupid:
How far out can you seat?
If you can seat so far out that a wad will stay in the throat then the tracer will never see powder burn and thus ignition.
But "unloading" the tracer compound in any form or way (other than firing) will never yield consistency what so ever.
How'bout gluing a piece of ? to the back of the projectile to shield the powder burn from the tracer compound?
Maybe a dullop of nail varnish (is it called that?) "claw paint" nicked from the war- and fiscal-minister, will protect enough during firing.

Cap'n Morgan
03-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Surely someone will swap some regular bullets for your tracers? Try posting in the swappin/sellin forum.

mtnman31
03-09-2013, 09:32 PM
I'm with Cap'n Morgan, trade or sell them for what you need/want. No sense wasting time and effort trying to deactivate them when others would be willing to pay you for them and then you could purchase whatever you need. Unless of course you need something that is unavailable...

Jim
03-09-2013, 09:48 PM
I am now firmly convinced that I am a complete fool.

khmer6
03-09-2013, 10:10 PM
Not a lot of people willing to trade for the same reason you are trying to deactivate. But you might get lucky and find someone. If you only have a small amount I'd keep them around and play with them. Light a few up maybe a few years later down the road, you never know

7Acres
03-09-2013, 10:21 PM
Not a lot of people willing to trade for the same reason you are trying to deactivate. But you might get lucky and find someone. If you only have a small amount I'd keep them around and play with them. Light a few up maybe a few years later down the road, you never know

I agree. Sounds a lot more fun than the fireworks everyone else shoots off on the 4th!

R.Ph. 380
03-09-2013, 10:27 PM
Here's the results of stupidity when DFW gunrange on Mockingbird failed to enforce their ban against tracer rounds and someone ignored the rules: http://www.dfwgun.com/

DFW Gun Range experiences a four-alarm fire!

The fire occurred on Sunday, February 24 and range personnel are in the process of assessing the damage. There will be ongoing updates and announcements therefore please stay tuned because our customers are very important to us! Thanks for your continued support and patience.

Latest News & Updates

Great news to announce! We have started rebuilding! The fire was contained by the firewall to the shooting range(s) and gym only. The firewall between the Shooting range and retail did its job and stopped any further damage. Most importantly no one was hurt! The remediation for water and smoke has begun. We will come back better than ever.

Classes are beginning once again at our temporary location one block from the range. We are also doing transfers and Class III sales. Stay tuned for more to come and check our website for training and other services as they are brought back online.

We will status as we know more... The removal of debris will begin Friday 2/8/13 and we will rebuild in phases. The unfortunate part is that the shooting range will have the longest lead time. As I get a more clear timeline, I will be sharing. Thanks everyone for your fantastic support!!! Stay tuned!!

©2010 DFW Gun Range
1607 West Mockingbird Lane
Dallas, Texas 75235

Blanket
03-09-2013, 11:05 PM
Don't trade them to anyone in a tinder box, Russ

khmer6
03-09-2013, 11:45 PM
Lol just don't be the idiot that lights up the shooting range like that person did. The m856 stays light for a while. Even in the dirt berm they will continue to light. I believe there were some that lit straight out of the barrel, I think those were 55gr, and others that lit after 100yards?

W.R.Buchanan
03-10-2013, 08:18 PM
Jim : I would bet that you could make a board with a bunch of shallow holes to hold the bullets butt end up and then hit them with a propane torch. I just bet that would light them off.

Do stand back

Randy

khmer6
03-10-2013, 09:29 PM
I just weighed one of the tracers after being lit in a camp fire. Around 50grs. Also remember these are really long. Like 72gr fmj length. I wonder if the jacket will be as dark and ugly if I hit them with the torch?

W.R.Buchanan
03-11-2013, 11:51 PM
khmer6: you could light them off and then tumble them to make them shiney again. Also by lighting them with a torch while being held upright in a drilled hole in a board there is less chance that any of the lead will melt out of the jacket.

Try that :Fire:

Randy

P.K.
03-12-2013, 06:27 AM
Jim, boil them in water. Alan in Vermont had good results with acetone for getting the sealant off the jackets and making the tracer material inert.
Here is the thread:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?188279-5-56-Tracer-Projectiles-Pulled-Does-the-Sealant-Matter

P.K.
03-16-2013, 06:46 AM
Jim,

What's the verdict? Any luck?

sdcitizen
03-22-2013, 06:19 PM
Jim, I tell ya what, I've got bags of 55gr fmj on the shelf, I'd happily trade you for the tracers.

Jim
03-29-2013, 06:07 PM
Jim,

What's the verdict? Any luck?

I just received them today. UPS erroniously delivered them to my previous address and I've been jumping through hoops to get them. My UPS driver came today with the box.

The foil seal is recessed inside the base of the bullet about .080", enough for a small drop of glue. I'll put a drop of glue in a few and deliberately try to light them with a full power charge of powder equivalent in burn speed to what is used in production. If they don't light, I'm in business. If they do ( I seriously doubt they will), I'll try something different.

I DO NOT want to light these and burn the filler out. I want to find a way to deactivate them instead. I'll figure this out and when I do, I'll let y'all know how it went.

khmer6
03-29-2013, 07:13 PM
Lol I thought you were already sitting on them. I think the vinegar trick just deactivates it with chemical reaction. I'm not sure if the glue will hold back the pressure. But if it does work let us know,! I bought a few thousand last year then realized I have no place to shoot them

JKH
03-29-2013, 08:49 PM
I use a hot glue gun to seal .30 cal tracers. So far so good. I stick the nozel in the cavity and pump till it starts flowing out and then back it out while squeezing the trigger, this ensures complete fill and adhesion. After the glue has set I use a single edge.razor blade to cut the glue off flush with the bullet base.

I initially tried Elmers carpenter glue with poor results, it doesnt stick.well.and.becomes brittle.

khmer6
03-30-2013, 12:00 AM
Sounds like a great plan! Gotta try it out without being kicked out of my local range

P.K.
03-30-2013, 06:34 AM
I just received them today. UPS erroniously delivered them to my previous address and I've been jumping through hoops to get them. My UPS driver came today with the box.

The foil seal is recessed inside the base of the bullet about .080", enough for a small drop of glue. I'll put a drop of glue in a few and deliberately try to light them with a full power charge of powder equivalent in burn speed to what is used in production. If they don't light, I'm in business. If they do ( I seriously doubt they will), I'll try something different.

I DO NOT want to light these and burn the filler out. I want to find a way to deactivate them instead. I'll figure this out and when I do, I'll let y'all know how it went.

Sounds good!

JKH
04-23-2013, 10:02 PM
Hows it going with the tracers? Now that we have a reasonable semblance of spring here in NY (kinda), I will be hitting the range with my Garand and a bunch of these.

I had an idea recently on another material to use, high temp silicone designed for exhaust manifolds, etc. should have excellent adhesion and wont break down from the powder flame temp and pressure. I cant help but think the hot glue may possibly start to melt, until I fire at least 100 rounds at over 100 yards, and hopefully can retrieve a few from the berm to ascertain if the hot glue remains intact, I wont trust these completely to not light.

I hope that eventually a foolproof method to "neuter" these can be found, I still have 1000 in my stash : )

Jeff