PDA

View Full Version : Soft Lead price?

RU shooter
08-14-2007, 05:04 PM
I just located a individual who has soft lead for $.25 per lb. in bread pan size ingots and lead pipe for even less Is this a fair price for it I havent had to buy any lead so far in my short time casting so I dont whats a good price or not?He has +1000lbs of it So if theres any members in SW Pa that want some we may be able to get a better price if we take all of it off his hands , besides I can only haul so much in the family mini van!!!!!

Wayne Smith
08-14-2007, 05:43 PM
My advice is to take it all at that price. You can trade with muzzleloader shooters for wheel weights at an advantage, I'm not sure what the premium for soft lead is. Unless you are an old man you will use 1000 lbs and be looking for more in a few years. If not, I've a friend who heads up your way every fall to hunt and visit family, maybe I can get him to stop by and load up and bring me some!

Yeah, with a family mini van you'll probably have to make a couple of trips. How is your back?

monadnock#5
08-14-2007, 06:52 PM
I agree. Buy the whole lot. Rent a u-haul if that's what it takes. When the local scrapper was selling to the general public (past tense), they were getting $0.45 a pound. This is a deal you can't refuse. Just be careful someone else doesn't get there first.

Steelshooter
08-15-2007, 05:59 PM
RU shooter
E-mail sent.
Chuck

dmftoy1
08-16-2007, 07:45 AM
:( how come these deals never come up in Illinois? :)

I have a trailer that'll handle 5000lbs with no problem. If someone comes across a similiar deal in Illinois (or even in Indiana or Iowa) let me know!! :)

FWIW - I'd buy it all at .25 per pound.

Regards,
Dave

shooter575
08-16-2007, 08:25 AM
15 years ago I was selling dead soft ingots for .50 a lb.With the price of fuel today to smelt the stuff the going price is a buck or so.Skirmishers casting big minnes @ 10-12 to the lb go through a lot of lead.