PDA

View Full Version : Darts Anyone?

shooter2
03-08-2013, 12:04 PM
I stopped at my local Walmart hoping for some .22 LR ammo. No luck. I live ten miles from the home office, but there are no special privileges here.

As I was walking out of the area I noticed a dart board for $9.96 and I impulsively bought one. Got home and set it up in the shop. I stood the required eight feet away and tried my hand at the game. It is almost as hard as shooting bullseye. Some years ago I watched some darts matches on TV. I think they were in Ireland, but it could have been elsewhere in the British isles. The standard game is (I think) 351. There are certain requirements as to when you have to shoot doubles and how you finish, etc. It is a difficult game to say the least. The players there made it look pretty easy. It is not!

So, if you find yourself in Ireland and think you can beat the local champ, re-think it. It's like shooting pool with a pro. You probably have no chance whatsoever. JMHO

Edubya
03-08-2013, 12:15 PM
They play it all over Europe. I've seen a dart tournament here in the states as well. A national televised one from Las Vegas. I guess that the neatest part of my experience with the game is that women can and do compete on the same level. I've played against hookers that would do it between johns. I've seen some awfully good dart players and when they get serious it's just like watching the professional pool player.

EW

runfiverun
03-08-2013, 12:19 PM
well when you can't hunt,shoot or fish.
i guess that leaves drinking and throwing stuff.

Silvercreek Farmer
03-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Be aware of your beer curve. Performance improves as you "settle in" up until about 2-3 beers, then starts to decline rapidly!

waksupi
03-08-2013, 12:25 PM
Dart leagues are very popular in this area during the winter. There are some VERY good players here.

45nut
03-08-2013, 12:29 PM
The standard game is 301, not 351.
Back in the days of cheap gas I played in a few dart leagues and eventually gained a state "grandmaster" ranking, in 1987 I traveled to Chicago and played in the national tournament, my partners at the time thought it better to eat, drink and be merry instead of focusing on the opportunity and we were quickly eliminated however.
Finishing off a game of 301 in 6 darts became regular within a nights play, 7,8 and 9 dart outs regularly recorded.
It was a chapter in which the weather on the oregon coast was offset by the tavern comforts. I sure wasted a lot of quarters...........

shooter2
03-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Dart leagues are very popular in this area during the winter. There are some VERY good players here.

Having lived in MT for a number of years I can attest to the fact that winters are long. One has to do something to kill the time between fishing season and hunting season, so darts would make a lot of sense. I used to pray for the winter chinooks so I could hit the river for a little fly fishing. I miss everything about MT except the winter. I am getting really wussy in my old age.

FLINTNFIRE
03-08-2013, 01:29 PM
Oh yes the rolls of quarters , 301 , cricket, all the variety games in league , 3 nights a week depending on teams , hat tricks , ton 80 , high tons and low tons , white horse , and the dart out pins , electronic boards are a lot of fun and some rules and distance is different from steel tip, was fun .

koehn,jim
03-08-2013, 05:22 PM
I thought the distance to the board was 7foot 9.25 inches. It is a great game, check the height of the board as well.

shooter93
03-08-2013, 06:59 PM
There are many dart games around here played with weekly paychecks on the table.

SlippShodd
03-08-2013, 10:13 PM
well when you can't hunt,shoot or fish.
i guess that leaves drinking and throwing stuff.

[smilie=l:

That's funny right there.

:drinks:

David2011
03-08-2013, 10:38 PM
Put a dart board up on the patio years ago. It was amazing what i did to make my house THE gathering spot every weekend.

David